Placement Pool Challenge (PPC 100)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm working on it. Only shot one round all the way through and scored in the 60s. We have until June to post a video, correct?

That's right. The deadline is June 30, but feel free to post as many scores and videos as you want. I will continue to replace old scores and videos with the better and newer ones.

60s is a great start. Good luck!

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's right. The deadline is June 30, but feel free to post as many scores and videos as you want. I will continue to replace old scores and videos with the better and newer ones.

60s is a great start. Good luck!
I just got back from the pool hall where I made four attempts. The first attempt I got through stage 6 and realized I never pressed "record". The second attempt I realized after the first stage that I, once again, never started recording. I'm really good at tech stuff. The third attempt I shot a 70. Two separate times I missed the BIH shot to start, so it cost me like 12 points off the bat! The third time I was getting lazy and tired. I went in to free-wheeling mode and shot a 90.

It takes a lot of concentration, which is something I've never been great at. I will post the 90 once I upload it and I'll be trying again. None of it was difficult, but you couldn't sleep on any of the stages or they'd bite you.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just got back from the pool hall where I made four attempts. The first attempt I got through stage 6 and realized I never pressed "record". The second attempt I realized after the first stage that I, once again, never started recording. I'm really good at tech stuff. The third attempt I shot a 70. Two separate times I missed the BIH shot to start, so it cost me like 12 points off the bat! The third time I was getting lazy and tired. I went in to free-wheeling mode and shot a 90.

It takes a lot of concentration, which is something I've never been great at. I will post the 90 once I upload it and I'll be trying again. None of it was difficult, but you couldn't sleep on any of the stages or they'd bite you.
Sounds good. I look forward to seeing the 90. Should we also expect to see a 100 soon? :geek:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds good. I look forward to seeing the 90. Should we also expect to see a 100 soon? :geek:
I added the link to my last post. I'll invest in a small tripod or something. The lighting on the video is almost as brutal as my cue ball control.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I added the link to my last post. I'll invest in a small tripod or something. The lighting on the video is almost as brutal as my cue ball control.

I've added you to the list in the video description. Obviously, you should place the phone horizontal next time to get better video quality and oriented correctly.

Catch you later.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've added you to the list in the video description. Obviously, you should place the phone horizontal next time to get better video quality and oriented correctly.

Catch you later.
I had it laying on it's side, not sure how that happened.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You're expecting a lot from me. :D I bought a tripod last night, I'll get professional with this stuff. I want one of those prizes!

I'm glad to hear it. I look forward to seeing a horizontal 100 soon! :geek:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been playing these a little after playing them when they first came out several years ago. One thing you realize is how much the strategy makes a difference on some of them. On a couple of them, I thought I was just playing poor position or missing a shot, but my success rate would go from 3/10 to 6/10 when I changes shot selection in some way. Most of the 8-ball setups are pretty easy if you get a chance to try a couple different approaches.

I find this to be one of the hardest. My success rate is best when I play both the 7 & 8 from the short side, but it’s still only 50-50.

1618858194842.png

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve been playing these a little after playing them when they first came out several years ago. One thing you realize is how much the strategy makes a difference on some of them. On a couple of them, I thought I was just playing poor position or missing a shot, but my success rate would go from 3/10 to 6/10 when I changes shot selection in some way. Most of the 8-ball setups are pretty easy if you get a chance to try a couple different approaches.

I find this to be one of the hardest. My success rate is best when I play both the 7 & 8 from the short side, but it’s still only 50-50.

View attachment 592388

That's the toughest layout for me too. Lately, I like using the BIH 4-ball shot to bump the 7 away from the cushion (ideally right in front of the side pocket) . It makes the run much easier. Sometimes I get lucky and can also bump the 8 on the 5 ball shot off 2 or 3 rails with running follow. If not, I agree with you that playing the 8 (and maybe even the 7) from the short side make the out easier. FYI, I am currently working on a series of videos covering strategy options for all the racks. Stay tuned.

Do you plan to submit a score and video soon? I look forward to seeing how you and others do and where things tend to go wrong. FYI, you can also later submit improved scores to replace earlier scores.

Catch you later,
Dave

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the toughest layout for me too. Lately, I like using the BIH 4-ball shot to bump the 7 away from the cushion (ideally right in front of the side pocket) . It makes the run much easier. Sometimes I get lucky and can also bump the 8 on the 5 ball shot off 2 or 3 rails with running follow. If not, I agree with you that playing the 8 (and maybe even the 7) from the short side make the out easier. FYI, I am currently working on a series of videos covering strategy options for all the racks. Stay tuned.

Do you plan to submit a score and video soon? I look forward to seeing how you and others do and where things tend to go wrong. FYI, you can also later submit improved scores to replace earlier scores.

Catch you later,
Dave
My toughest also! I didn't think about bumping the 7 with BIH. Thanks for the tip. Even if I don't get it near the side, it's easier from MOST other positions on the table.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
My toughest also! I didn't think about bumping the 7 with BIH. Thanks for the tip. Even if I don't get it near the side, it's easier from MOST other positions on the table.
Once today, I managed to bump the 7 on the 4-ball shot and the 8 on the 5-ball shot. I still crashed and burned on a later rack. The 100 is a little more elusive than I thought it would be, but I plan to keep trying.

I look forward to seeing more scores and videos from other AZB users. Remember, any score (regardless of how low) gets you a free ticket in the lottery drawing!

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Catch you later,
Dave
Here’s a weird first shot that I wouldn’t have seen at first but once I saw it helped me.

The key position here is 5 to 6 because you need to be straight on the 6. A stop shot with ball in hand on the 4 to the lower left corner is a long shot, but easy if you can line it up straight in and then not need to aim it. That gives you perfect position slightly below the line for the 5 in the side which you can roll in and get straight on the 6. Otherwise you’re jacked up over the 5 to make the 4 in the corner, which I’ve screwed up many times moving the cue ball a little too much or not enough to get the proper angle on the 5 in the side.

9D9EA31D-799E-4CB9-A487-58DD0965B4D9.jpeg

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried PPC 100 tonight first time today. It was a lot of fun to try. I think i made 94 or 93. I had mic on and commentate layouts and whine that new cloth rails does not take spin :D...
Anyways really fun and I had couple cool shots involved too ;)
Posting video soon.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here’s a weird first shot that I wouldn’t have seen at first but once I saw it helped me.

The key position here is 5 to 6 because you need to be straight on the 6. A stop shot with ball in hand on the 4 to the lower left corner is a long shot, but easy if you can line it up straight in and then not need to aim it. That gives you perfect position slightly below the line for the 5 in the side which you can roll in and get straight on the 6. Otherwise you’re jacked up over the 5 to make the 4 in the corner, which I’ve screwed up many times moving the cue ball a little too much or not enough to get the proper angle on the 5 in the side.

View attachment 592431

Thanks for showing this. Maybe I'll include it in the video series I'm working on right now. If I do, I'll be sure to give you a shout-out.

Anybody else have any interesting tips to share concerning any of the layouts?

Thanks.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tried PPC 100 tonight first time today. It was a lot of fun to try. I think i made 94 or 93. I had mic on and commentate layouts and whine that new cloth rails does not take spin :D...
Anyways really fun and I had couple cool shots involved too ;)
Posting video soon.

The race for 100 is on! I look forward to seeing your video.

Have you learned any non-obvious tips or tricks you want to share concerning any of the layouts?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here video for 94 point score.
I accidently left OBS record system sounds so there is my metal cover playlist on background. Commentating should be still clear sound.