Placement Pool Challenge (PPC 100)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video announcing a new Placement Pool Challenge (PPC 100) with prizes to test your run-out ability. PPC 100 (which is BU Playing-Ability Exam V) consists of eighteen 9-ball and 8-ball layouts. Here’s a quick summary of the rules:
- consecutively attempt to run each of the 18 layouts in order.
- each run-out attempt ends with a miss or foul.
- for scoring, you start with 100 points and deduct points for any balls not pocketed legally.
Check it out:

Contents (with timestamp links):
0:00 – Intro
1:55 - Layouts 1-6
5:04 - Layouts 7-12
---- 8:17 - only miss
8:38 - Layouts 13-18
12:37 - Wrap Up

Here is the document with the detailed rules and ball layout diagrams:

Each of the top 3 players by June 30, 2021 won a $30 gift certificate that can be applied to any shirt, poster, cap, or mug purchase at DrDaveBilliardTshirts.com. Since the high score was 100, the first 3 people to score 100 got the prizes. To encourage participation by all, there was also a random lottery drawing from all non-winning entries to win the same prize.

Final Standings (on June 30, 2021):
1.) Daniel Pleunik - 100
2.) Juan J. Rendón - 100
3.) Danny Starret - 100

Lottery Drawing Entries:
4.) Dr. Dave Alciatore - 100
5.) Kyle Lampen - 100
6.) Eric Charlton (easy-e on AZB) - 99
7.) kanzzo on AZB - 97
8.) Poolmanis on AZB - 94
9.) Tom Davis (td873 on AZB) - 94
10.) Jeffrey M. Wolfe - 92
11.) András Koleszár - 85
12.) Eric Simpson - 81
13.) Kevin MacLeod - 79
14.) westcoast on AZB - 74
15.) Cue ball control Sometimes - 59

Lottery Drawing Winner
7.) kanzzo on AZB

Previous Replaced Entries:
- Dr. Dave Alciatore - 98
- Eric Charlton (easy-e on AZB) - 98
- Juan J. Rendón - 93
- Eric Charlton (easy-e on AZB) - 90
- Jeffrey M. Wolfe - 88
- Juan J. Rendón - 81
- Eric Simpson - 74
- westcoast on AZB - 68
- András Koleszár - 64

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video announcing a new Placement Pool Challenge (PPC 100) with prizes to test your run-out ability. PPC 100 (which is BU Playing-Ability Exam V) consists of eighteen 9-ball and 8-ball layouts. Here’s a quick summary of the rules:
- for scoring, you start with 100 points and deduct points for any balls not pocketed legally.
Check it out:

Let's see who will be the first to get a perfect score of 100. It is very do-able. Here is the document with the detailed rules and ball layout diagrams:

To enter the Challenge, just post your name, score, and video link in the comments section of the video or in this thread.

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy, and good luck with the Challenge!

Who plans to give this a try?

And if so, do you hope to reach 100?

You need to pocket 108 balls straight, getting decent leaves after every shot. It sounds tough; but if you practice the layouts and find the best patterns and position routes, it becomes much easier.

Good luck!

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did Earl inspire you to put together a placement pool drill? He seems to never stop talking about it in his weekly videos on the billiard network

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Did Earl inspire you to put together a placement pool drill? He seems to never stop talking about it in his weekly videos on the billiard network

These 9-ball and 8-ball layouts have been in the three versions of BU Exam II for about 10 years, but the recent discussion about Earl's mention definitely inspired the Challenge name.

Give it a try. I plan to work on trying to get the 100 tomorrow.

jshaw

Registered
Who plans to give this a try?

And if so, do you hope to reach 100?

You need to pocket 108 balls straight, getting decent leaves after every shot. It sounds tough; but if you practice the layouts and find the best patterns and position routes, it becomes much easier.

Good luck!
I tried the first ten layouts. It definitely showed me my strengths and weaknesses in my positional play.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tried the first ten layouts. It definitely showed me my strengths and weaknesses in my positional play.

Post a video when you have time to do the whole thing. It doesn't take that long. The layout definitely test a wide range of skills and strategy.

Good luck. Remember, even if you don't score high, you still get entered into the lotter draw.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried the first 5. Got through the first 2 with no misses and then hooked myself breaking out the 7. Definitely challenging for a player of my level. Will try more later. Pretty fun! I’ve hardly ever done drills in the past, but I definitely like these layouts

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tried the first 5. Got through the first 2 with no misses and then hooked myself breaking out the 7. Definitely challenging for a player of my level. Will try more later. Pretty fun! I’ve hardly ever done drills in the past, but I definitely like these layouts

I hope you post scores and videos as you continue to work with the layouts. I don't like to think of this as a "drill," because some people don't like "drills." These are run-out challenges. Instead of working on very specific skills as is the case with many "drills," you need to bring all strategy and run-out skills to the table.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not seen video Dave but i will definitely will take some tries after my rheumatism get little more stable. Have not been able to shoot properly in 2 weeks because bad days with back.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have not seen video Dave but i will definitely will take some tries after my rheumatism get little more stable. Have not been able to shoot properly in 2 weeks because bad days with back.

I am sorry to hear about the RA back issue. There is nothing worse than back pain.

When you are ready, I think you will enjoy PPC 100, and I suspect a 100 should be no trouble for you with a few attempts.

Good luck!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you post scores and videos as you continue to work with the layouts. I don't like to think of this as a "drill," because some people don't like "drills." These are run-out challenges. Instead of working on very specific skills as is the case with many "drills," you need to bring all strategy and run-out skills to the table.
I get what you mean about calling them challenges rather than drills- most people do have aversive reactions to the term "drill" for whatever reason.

I'll get around to recording a round soon.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I get what you mean about calling them challenges rather than drills- most people do have aversive reactions to the term "drill" for whatever reason.

I'll get around to recording a round soon.

I look forward to seeing your entry.

Good luck!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Check it out:

Let's see who will be the first to get a perfect score of 100. It is very do-able. Here is the document with the detailed rules and ball layout diagrams:

To enter the Challenge, just post your name, score, and video link in the comments section of the video or in this thread.

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy, and good luck with the Challenge!

Let's see some more AZB user videos. A 100 should be very possible. Who will be the first to get a perfect score?

I've tried it quite a bit this past week but haven't gotten the 100 yet. Although, the practice is fun and quite educational (and not nearly as frustrating as attempting a perfect score on RDS 100 can be).

Good luck!

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I plan on trying this today! Would a video from my cell phone propped up on a table suffice?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good. I look forward to seeing how well you can do.

Smart-phone videos are fine. In fact, they can sometime be excellent. Try to get the phone higher if you can, maybe on a shelf or ladder.
I'll do my best on the video. I've been away from the game for a while, maybe I can eek out a 70!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's see some more AZB user videos. A 100 should be very possible. Who will be the first to get a perfect score?

I've tried it quite a bit this past week but haven't gotten the 100 yet. Although, the practice is fun and quite educational (and not nearly as frustrating as attempting a perfect score on RDS 100 can be).

Good luck!
I'm working on it. Only shot one round all the way through and scored in the 60s. We have until June to post a video, correct?