Players dropping out of the Matchroom/Predator CLP

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been super supportive of Predator the past 20 years, and very vocally supported them on these forums over the years for two reasons: 1) I believe they make the best shafts in the world. 2) They return a ton of money to the game by sponsoring almost every event under the sun.

I don't know all the details of what transpired here, and I doubt anyone except Predator and Matchroom really do. But the takeaway from me is I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth at Predator now.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I pay an entry fee.
I have to wear a logo while I play, for a company that competes with one I endorse.
I finish out of the money.

How much, in dollars, was I directly compensated for wearing that competing logo? The answer can't be that players on the whole were compensated. I am the one who provided a service (space on my clothes for advertising purposes), so how much was I, and I alone, paid? The chance to try to earn compensation is not direct compensation.
If you didn't cash, doesn't seem like you should be compensated anything

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Shane is a badass.
Not really. He gets paid by Cuetec and it's not worth it for him to play this event.

If Predator started guaranteeing $500,000 for first place in these events he'd be playing Predator tomorrow.

I was in a similar situation with work about 10years ago, I was under contract for a guaranteed amount of $$$ per year and once I made that amount I could work for whoever I wanted providing my company didn't have any work for me.

4 of us went to a job for another contractor after they told me they had nothing, I was the only one who had satisfied the contractual agreement but my company told us they would fire all 4 of us(even though I had fulfilled my contract) so, I took a chance and went with the new company.

10 years and $300,000 to $400,000 more in earnings than I would have if I had stayed and been under their thumb - I couldn't be happier.

It's all about making the right choice for yourself, and right now that is an easy choice for Shane.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
unfortunately for the workers, that is business in the business world. play by their rules or go your own way and make it your way. both acceptable to some people.

at all broadcast events you have to pay to advertise. and patches and signs are advertising. so you have to give up somethnig if you are going to. here predator wants their logos as well on you while you are advertising for their competitors.

gerryf

On the Matchroom.pool site, on the page for Championship League, it still works for me, and these are the players listed:

Group 1
Albin Ouschan
Chris Melling
Chris Robinson
Eklent Kaci
Joshua Filler
Kelly Fisher
Niels Fiejen

Group 2
David Alcaide
Mieszko Fortunski
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC

Group 3
Billy Thorpe
Darren Appleton
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC

Group 4
Kristina Tkach
Naoyuki Oi
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC

Group 5
Marc Bijsterbosch
Roberto Gomez
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC

Group 6
Alex Kazakis
Casper Matikainen
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC

Group 7
Jasmin Ouschan
Denis Grabe
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been super supportive of Predator the past 20 years, and very vocally supported them on these forums over the years for two reasons: 1) I believe they make the best shafts in the world. 2) They return a ton of money to the game by sponsoring almost every event under the sun.

I don't know all the details of what transpired here, and I doubt anyone except Predator and Matchroom really do. But the takeaway from me is I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth at Predator now.

Not so long along I heard this story, which I can verify as true.

A guy was having a cue built. He asked that it accommodate an extension.

Cuemaker says, " I like to use Predator extensions."

Player says, "Yeah but I hate the big Predator logo."

Cuemaker says, "So how do you feel about an 8" extension vs a 10" extension that will cut the Predator log off."

Player says, "Perfect."

Lou Figueroa

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the Matchroom.pool site, on the page for Championship League, it still works for me, and these are the players listed:

Group 1
Albin Ouschan
Chris Melling
Chris Robinson
Eklent Kaci
Joshua Filler
Kelly Fisher
Niels Fiejen

Group 2
David Alcaide
Mieszko Fortunski
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC

Group 3
Billy Thorpe
Darren Appleton
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC

Group 4
Kristina Tkach
Naoyuki Oi
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC

Group 5
Marc Bijsterbosch
Roberto Gomez
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC

Group 6
Alex Kazakis
Casper Matikainen
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC

Group 7
Jasmin Ouschan
Denis Grabe
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC
TBC
I see now. You have to click on the link for the groups on the bottom of the page. I deleted my previous post - thanks

DieselPete

If you didn't cash, doesn't seem like you should be compensated anything
The point was that someone said I would be compensated for wearing a logo. My point is that I wouldn't be. And if they want me to wear a logo and I do so, I provided the service they requested, so, yes, I should be compensated.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
its common when sponsors put up significant money and dont feel they should give out free advertising. i can understand that.

its a business deal. the players can play with the rules or not. it is their choice.

their own sponsors should have an option to pay to have their emblems on the players shirts.
and matchroom could let them maybe have one small patch that is approved.

if it was my tournament and i was adding money, i wouldnt let a player show up all dressed in ads for my competitors would you.
I feel you and JAM have an understanding of how things work. If Predator put up the money...they have a perfect right to promote only their brand.
I think it should be common courtesy to not promote another product.

Reactions: JAM

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fans of pool should understand that a pro pool player endorsing any product, is like asking a prostitute which mattress she prefers.
I don't even care to watch anymore because the commentators don't have the knowledge a C player has and sure enough they invite their buddy into the booth that just started playing pool two months ago. Every other shot they say "He's going to combo the 9."

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I guess I'd have to see the logo. If it says, Predator Champions League, I'm not sure that really signals that every player there is using a predator cue. Especially since they are likely to have their own sponsorship logo underneath. I think it would be different if it was just a general 'Predator Cues' patch, which would likely cause confusion.

The other question is why is all of this coming to a head now a couple of weeks ahead of the event? I would have thought contracts would have been made clear before the promotional materials were made.
I think you gravely underestimate the idiocy of the general public. People don't consciously think about these things and they won't distinguish pool league from Predator in general. They see predator, they associate those players with predator.

Jaden

gerryf

I think the advertising from logos on shirts in overrated. I just watched a match and towards the end i looked at the logos to see how prominent they were. It occurred to me that they're just noise. I wouldn't have connected any player with their sponsor without having to study their shirts.

With the Championship League, I assume the predator logo will be on the balls, the shirts, the walls, the dividers, and on the video display. Just noise.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The point was that someone said I would be compensated for wearing a logo. My point is that I wouldn't be. And if they want me to wear a logo and I do so, I provided the service they requested, so, yes, I should be compensated.
I said it, you gain value from the added $$$, regardless if you cash.

It's simple, don't play if you think you're getting screwed. Only play the tourneys that pay you to wear their logo. How many is that btw? I'm guessing zero, so what's all the complaining about.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
You just pointed out why I don't run dealership plate frames on any of my cars. If they expect me to advertise for them, I should be compensated.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On the Matchroom.pool site, on the page for Championship League, it still works for me, and these are the players listed: ...
So, 19 players in total. Based on their current FargoRates, their world rankings are:

Top 25 -- 4 players (Filler, Feijen, Kaci, A. Ouschan)
26-50 -- 4 players (Oi, Kazakis, Alcaide, Grabe)
51-100 -- 6 players (Fortunski, Gomez, Melling, Appleton, Thorpe, Matikainen)
101+ -- 5 players (Fisher, Bijsterbosch, Robinson, J. Ouschan, Tkach)

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
yes the dealer gives those frames for free to you. so if you want free you are getting paid for the ad.

its when they put a sticker on the car you are getting really screwed. if you look at it that way.
but if their sticker is on the car maybe the service people when you bring it in do a slightly better job knowing its one of their cars.

gerryf

So, 19 players in total. Based on their current FargoRates, their world rankings are:

Top 25 -- 4 players (Filler, Feijen, Kaci, A. Ouschan)
26-50 -- 4 players (Oi, Kazakis, Alcaide, Grabe)
51-100 -- 6 players (Fortunski, Gomez, Melling, Appleton, Thorpe, Matikainen)
101+ -- 5 players (Fisher, Bijsterbosch, Robinson, J. Ouschan, Tkach)
Shaw, Gorst and VanBoening would have added to the top 25.
Woodward would have added to the top 51-100??

DieselPete

I said it, you gain value from the added $$$, regardless if you cash.

It's simple, don't play if you think you're getting screwed. Only play the tourneys that pay you to wear their logo. How many is that btw? I'm guessing zero, so what's all the complaining about.

So, if you do work or provide a service for someone and they give money to your direct competitors instead of to you, you will feel that they have given you value or compensation for your work.

Got it. Makes perfect sense. Next time I get a Whopper, I'll go give some money to McDonald's and claim that I added value by putting money into the fast food industry.

Your second argument (if you don't like it, don't play) is reasonable and in a free market system is a fair position for you and Predator to take. I will give you that.