Players making a living at pool?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Before the posting begins, let me set a couple of parameters. I am asking about any player in the United States from any nationality in the past 30-40 years.

Which ones actually made a living at pool without ever having to work a non pool-related job? Pros and hustlers/action players?

Just curious, but I think it is a worthwhile topic. If it has been discussed lately (past 5 years or so)...my apologies.

Maniac (search function? what search function?)

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Before the posting begins, let me set a couple of parameters. I am asking about any player in the United States from any nationality in the past 30-40 years.

Which ones actually made a living at pool without ever having to work a non pool-related job? Pros and hustlers/action players?

Just curious, but I think it is a worthwhile topic. If it has been discussed lately (past 5 years or so)...my apologies.

Maniac (search function? what search function?)
Kind of like counting pebbles in a lake. How big is technically a pebble? Does shoreline count? Do you go all the way down to bedrock or just the ones on the surface?

You get the idea. "Living" is tough to qualify. Depends on burn rate (monthly nut). Quality of life. Number of dependents. Are you banking anything when your playing days are over. In short too many variables.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Kind of like counting pebbles in a lake. How big is technically a pebble? Does shoreline count? Do you go all the way down to bedrock or just the ones on the surface?

You get the idea. "Living" is tough to qualify. Depends on burn rate (monthly nut). Quality of life. Number of dependents. Are you banking anything when your playing days are over. In short too many variables.

You are way over-thinking this. Did you not read the entire post? I want to know which known players supported themselves or themselves and their families without ever have to work a non pool-related job?

Pebbles? Shoreline?? Bedrock??? Really????

Maniac (looking for replies with peoples name in them)

Last edited:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
You are way over-thinking this. Did you not read the entire post? I want to know which known players supported themselves or themselves and their families without ever have to work a non pool-related job?

Pebbles? Shoreline?? Bedrock??? Really????

Maniac (looking for replies with peoples name in them)

OK lets assume I name a Pro. Aforementioned unnamed pro made 22K in Tourney Play. 30K in gambling and his cue sponsor threw him 5K in expense money. Doesn't work outside of pool. By my standards I would say he's failing. Others would say he's doing OK. Pebbles. It's relative.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
OK lets assume I name a Pro. Aforementioned unnamed pro made 22K in Tourney Play. 30K in gambling and his cue sponsor threw him 5K in expense money. Doesn't work outside of pool. By my standards I would say he's failing. Others would say he's doing OK. Pebbles. It's relative.

If that player never worked a non pool-related job, then that player qualifies, regardless of how much money he made or what his standard of living was.

Know any, or would you rather just post about dirt?

Maniac (didn't think I posed that tough a question in the OP)

Last edited:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Shane, Earl.
If you extend your years a little....
Definitely Willie. Tournament winnings. And paid by Brunswick.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane...yes, and he's invested wisely. Earl...no. He's broke and has no investments. Willie did okay, for a guy doing two-a-day exhibitions for Brunswick for years. Didn't make a lot...but made a living. Shane is making a nice living (6 figures annually). :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Shane, Earl.
If you extend your years a little....
Definitely Willie. Tournament winnings. And paid by Brunswick.

14.1'er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jose Parica... Probably the best money player of all time.

Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maniac,

I believe that Nick Varner would fall into this category. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Nick ever held a non-pool related job.

r/DCP

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Shane...yes, and he's invested wisely. Earl...no. He's broke and has no investments. Willie did okay, for a guy doing two-a-day exhibitions for Brunswick for years. Didn't make a lot...but made a living. Shane is making a nice living (6 figures annually). :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I just meant those 3 didn't have a non pool related "job".

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quess all the best players who come to the USA for playing enough tournaments and money matches did not imagine themselves having a non pool-related job. Mika, Thorsten, Jason, Klenti... I cannot imagine Ruslan Chinachov having a non pool-related job. Such players are in the game because they like what the game gives them and that's not only the money I quess...

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does making a living, mean paying rent on a place or living with parents or on a friends couch or in the back of your station wagon.
Does making a living mean , eating 3 good meals a day or , McDonalds value meal twice a day.
Doe's it mean , having your own money at all times and betting on yourself , or being dead busted and waiting on a stakehorse?
?Be specific Bob!" { from the movie Phenomenon}