Playing 8 ball bad for your game?

AHWOSU86

Registered
I was practicing some 8 ball earlier tonight and my buddy who is one of those never play 8 ball kind of guys, said quote "playing 8 ball is terrible for your game, it makes you f@$*ing lazy and 9 ball shots will seem miles away, so stop wasting your time. Any experienced players here share his insight, not that it's wrong, I started out playing only 9 ball and started to play mostly 8 ball now. When I do play 9 ball again it is harder. The funny thing is the only pool I watch on the internet is 9 or 10 ball.

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
I was practicing some 8 ball earlier tonight and my buddy who is one of those never play 8 ball kind of guys, said quote "playing 8 ball is terrible for your game, it makes you f@$*ing lazy and 9 ball shots will seem miles away, so stop wasting your time. Any experienced players here share his insight, not that it's wrong, I started out playing only 9 ball and started to play mostly 8 ball now. When I do play 9 ball again it is harder. The funny thing is the only pool I watch on the internet is 9 or 10 ball.

Your buddy is wrong. Practice what you compete in. Don't think for a minute 8 ball is an inferior game, its just different from the rotation games.

8power8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im not sure i agree, look a svb, was nt he and isnt he a great 8 ball player? and he plays most if not all games very well ,but than again he is an exception. I myself try to be as strong as i can at all games but find myself playing 8 ball mostly cause of league, when i play 10 wich i prefer over 9 ball does nt seem to make a diffrence but thats just me, and im no svb.

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ball is a completely different game, they both take different skills. You can be good at one and not the other. You don't need to be as good at shape or shotmaking in 8 ball. Most of the shots in 8 ball are stop shots or you're only moving small distances to the next ball. 8 ball is mostly about how you play your patterns, breakouts and defensive strategy.

I would say it is easier to move from 9 ball to 8 ball. Once you are able to make the shots and get shape in 9 ball it is pretty easy to learn the strategy of 8 ball.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Find a new friend!

Seriously, practicing eight ball is only one regimen I suggest to all players. With all those extra balls on the table, you must learn how to move the cue ball through them and which ball to shoot next. I believe your friend is incorrect. Practicing nine ball is good. However, what does it teach you about shot choice? You must shoot the next numbered ball. Every game you practice might teach you something. I try to play three cushion billiards. I'm not very good at it but, I don't jump balls. I need to be able to hit my ball when snookered. What do you do? I love bank pool. Again not very good at it. Learning to make basic banks helps me both in the safety game and making the ball when possible. I love it when my opponent pushes out to a high percentage bank. Although few play it, 14.1 is a great game to learn. Position, position, position! You don't have to be world champ, just learn the basics. Same with one pocket. Although you may not shoot at your pocket on a regular basis, it will teach you patience. And that is one of the greatest weapons of all!

Lyn

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
I'll take 8-ball any day

Im not sure i agree, look a svb, was nt he and isnt he a great 8 ball player? and he plays most if not all games very well ,but than again he is an exception. I myself try to be as strong as i can at all games but find myself playing 8 ball mostly cause of league, when i play 10 wich i prefer over 9 ball does nt seem to make a difference but thats just me, and I'm no svb.

I agree with you. I rather play 10 ball instead of 9-ball. I think that one extra ball makes a difference & I think it is harder to make a ball on the break.
Getting back to the original post. Tell your friend that there is no slop in 8-ball like there is in 9-ball. The next time you play your friend tell him that you will play 9-ball only if you play call your shot. See how he likes that.

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who cares? Have fun!

I think 8 ball is easier than 9 or 10 ball on a 9 ft table, but 8 ball is a harder game on a bar table.

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
IMO there is no question that rotation games like 9 & 10 ball are more difficult than 8-ball. There is only one ball to shoot at, and you're forced to play good shape. I also call 8-ball a lazy man's game, and tell my 8-ball league teamates "If you want to play better 8-ball, practice 9-ball instead." Just my opinion, but there is a reason that you don't see the best players playing much 8-ball any more.
Mr H

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

he's wrong.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
As someone pointed out, the two games require different skills. 9-ball dictates how you will play the table, since you only have one ball on the table to shoot at. 9-ball players need to be very strong shot makers, and play fairly good position. 8-ball requires a little more thought and strategy to plan your path out, and navigating through your opponents balls will also add to the strategy. There are usually more clusters in 8 ball than 9 ball, so you need to know how to break out balls. And hiding the cue ball from one ball is often easier than hiding it from several.

Add in the luck factor, where you can run the table in 9 ball and rattle the last ball and lose the game, and I believe overall that 8 ball is a more difficult game than 9 ball.

Both are great games, each in their own way.

Steve

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I was practicing some 8 ball earlier tonight and my buddy who is one of those never play 8 ball kind of guys, said quote "playing 8 ball is terrible for your game, it makes you f@$*ing lazy and 9 ball shots will seem miles away, so stop wasting your time."

Playing 8 ball is not terrible for your 9 ball game. Just a different thought process than playing other games.
If all your shots in 9 ball are "miles away", you aren't playing very well.

Last edited:

sr 9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im sure alot of u have or have seen people string a run of 5-6 racks of nine ball together. but stringing 5-6 racks of 8 ball requires alot more skill. for an average player, he can run an easy rack of 8ball alot easier than 9ball because of the luck factor. but being able to consistantly breaking clusters with knowing where and how far all the balls r going to go and having decent shape requires alot more thought.
9 ball is being able to move the cue ball around the table. 8 ball is a mental game.
i tell all beginers to play 9ball because it forces u to play shape. after your able to control the cb, eight ball is much more challenging.
thats my 2 cents

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to tell people that the only game 8 ball will help them with is 8 ball. Personally, I feel that playing Straight Pool or a variation of it is much more beneficial as it provides an all around experience.
I really can't stand the game, myself.

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Find a new friend!

Seriously, practicing eight ball is only one regimen I suggest to all players. With all those extra balls on the table, you must learn how to move the cue ball through them and which ball to shoot next. I believe your friend is incorrect. Practicing nine ball is good. However, what does it teach you about shot choice? You must shoot the next numbered ball. Every game you practice might teach you something. I try to play three cushion billiards. I'm not very good at it but, I don't jump balls. I need to be able to hit my ball when snookered. What do you do? I love bank pool. Again not very good at it. Learning to make basic banks helps me both in the safety game and making the ball when possible. I love it when my opponent pushes out to a high percentage bank. Although few play it, 14.1 is a great game to learn. Position, position, position! You don't have to be world champ, just learn the basics. Same with one pocket. Although you may not shoot at your pocket on a regular basis, it will teach you patience. And that is one of the greatest weapons of all!

Lyn

Are you in Turning Stone?

gpeezy

for sale!
I'm not too sure how good just 9 ball is for your game. I do know playing all games is good for your game. I bet your buddy doesn't run out 8 ball as well as he does 9 ball. Ask him why.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8ball is VERY demanding. Your position play needs to be spot-on, there are plenty of awkward shots to take when you get out of line and it always seems there are more ways to lose than win.

Yes, long shots in 9ball can be very demanding, too. However, you sorta get into that mode after a while when you're shooting one hard shot after another. Also, 9ball can be a very forigiving game. How many times have you seen someone miss in 9ball and still win? That doesn't happen so much in 8ball, I'll tell ya right now.

Omar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you. I rather play 10 ball instead of 9-ball. I think that one extra ball makes a difference & I think it is harder to make a ball on the break.
Getting back to the original post. Tell your friend that there is no slop in 8-ball like there is in 9-ball. The next time you play your friend tell him that you will play 9-ball only if you play call your shot. See how he likes that.

You've never seen an eight ball game where a ball is missed and it rolls to where it blocks an opponent's? Over the last 25 years, I have seen literally hundreds of games won that way. Bottom line, there's luck in every game.

I also don't think you would have any trouble finding someone who would play call pocket nine ball.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Your friend is giving you bad advice. EVERY pool game improves your overall game. For example 1p improves your banking, safeties and cueball control. 3 cushion improves your kicking and caroms. 14.1 improves your ball running, shooting into side pockets with confidence and shooting caroms out of the pack. 8ball is no different. I think 8ball, played at a high level is a very strategic game and requires good overall pool skills.

The key imo is to play ANY game with a mindset of improving your weaknesses, sharpening your concentration under pressure, establishing your preshot routine and building confidence.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
100% Correct

Your friend is giving you bad advice. EVERY pool game improves your overall game. For example 1p improves your banking, safeties and cueball control. 3 cushion improves your kicking and caroms. 14.1 improves your ball running, shooting into side pockets with confidence and shooting caroms out of the pack. 8ball is no different. I think 8ball, played at a high level is a very strategic game and requires good overall pool skills.

The key imo is to play ANY game with a mindset of improving your weaknesses, sharpening your concentration under pressure, establishing your preshot routine and building confidence.

I totally agree with you. Very well stated. Thanks.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
IMO there is no question that rotation games like 9 & 10 ball are more difficult than 8-ball. There is only one ball to shoot at, and you're forced to play good shape. I also call 8-ball a lazy man's game, and tell my 8-ball league teamates "If you want to play better 8-ball, practice 9-ball instead." Just my opinion, but there is a reason that you don't see the best players playing much 8-ball any more.
Mr H

there is a reason - less money in it (tourneys). Why's that? Mostly cuz of TV!!!! If you could hold the interest of non-fanatical pool observers with 14.1 it'd be the game of choice overall. I personally like 1P right behind straight pool, and 8 ball next. The whole argument of more balls to choose from to shoot (usually) from 9 ball players (only, all they play) is weak. A GREAT 8 ball player has the whole rack in mind on his first shot - getting out of shape (or shooting a different ball) can screw up break outs, etc. and lose you the game.

Keep in mind, having choices on what ball to shoot next requires thought too (meaning, your next shot isn't dictated by the number on the ball). And, I like having to navigate a cluttered table (with little bumps, and touches required - a no-no in 9 ball in most cases). Besides the thing about 9ball I dislike the most is missing an intended pocket and either making the object ball in another, or accidently knocking in another ball on the table and keeping the table (still your shot)......never understood how 9ball has gone so long without calling what ball you want to make in what pocket!!! (oh, and I'm not talking pros here - of course the RARELY slop something in, but it does happen too. I'm talking your average, lucky to string 2 racks together per visit to the poolhall guy).