Playing with a Balance Rite

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Hello AZB!

Recently I was at the pool room and someone had a Balance Rite, I asked them if I could try it and I ended up really liking the forward balance / longer length / additional weight.

Is there any reason why one shouldn't play with a Balance Rite? The reason I ask is because I've yet to see a pro using one. The closest I've seen to that is that some of them almost always have their extension on.

I thought about keeping my extension always on instead, but I thought the cue felt a bit too rear balanced to always keep on.

So, should I not use a Balance Rite or it's pretty much a matter of personal preference?

Thanks!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello AZB!

Recently I was at the pool room and someone had a Balance Rite, I asked them if I could try it and I ended up really liking the forward balance / longer length / additional weight.

Is there any reason why one shouldn't play with a Balance Rite? The reason I ask is because I've yet to see a pro using one. The closest I've seen to that is that some of them almost always have their extension on.

I thought about keeping my extension always on instead, but I thought the cue felt a bit too rear balanced to always keep on.

So, should I not use a Balance Rite or it's pretty much a matter of personal preference?

Thanks!

Sam,I play with one full time. Just watch out because they are flawed in the production.
Here is a thread I started on the product with a video of the problems I found. Also from the responses to the thread, I learned it's a bigger problem than I originally thought.

Here is the link:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5268234

On a side note, the president of cue and case never contacted me back after he said he would be looking into the issue. I called him and discussed it with him and never heard from him again.

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Sam,I play with one full time. Just watch out because they are flawed in the production.
Here is a thread I started on the product with a video of the problems I found. Also from the responses to the thread, I learned it's a bigger problem than I originally thought.

Here is the link:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5268234

On a side note, the president of cue and case never contacted me back after he said he would be looking into the issue. I called him and discussed it with him and never heard from him again.

Thanks for the useful info, I will make sure to inspect it carefully once I receive the one I plan on ordering.

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the Balance Rite as an extension, but I really like it. Also, you can chain two of them together for even more length. If you do this, be careful not to go over the max weight allowed for a cue.

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
I use the Balance Rite as an extension, but I really like it. Also, you can chain two of them together for even more length. If you do this, be careful not to go over the max weight allowed for a cue.

What is the max allowed weight?

My cue weighs 19.0oz
My Predator extension that I sometime use weighs roughly 4.5oz
The Balance Rite apparently weighs 2.0oz

For a total of 25.5oz when I use my extension.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the useful info, I will make sure to inspect it carefully once I receive the one I plan on ordering.

No problem. Just make sure you keep switching them out until you get a good one.

On the technical end, I started playing with one because my pool coach said I was too tall for my cue, my wingspan always had me playing off the butt of the cue and even then I was somewhat cramped. Now with the added inches, what a huge difference in comfort and natural feeling it makes.

I'm 6'3" (190.5 cm) and it was shown as a general practice, your cue should end at the top of your shoulder when standing up straight next to it.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I've tried a Cuetec with the 6" extension & liked it okay.

I think it can be beneficial for the normal type shots but perhaps a bit antsy for the finesse shots.

I was thinking about getting the Balance Rite but have held off because of the production issues kid mentioned. I'm looking for more length because am now playing a lot of one pocket on tight Diamond tables.

I have a steel jointed cue & like the slightly forward balance. I liked it even better when I put the same OB Pro shaft on it but at 30" vs 29".

It's really kind of funny but almost all other sporting goods are fitted, golf clubs, baseball bats, tennis rackets, etc.

But for pool it's basically one length fits all. Not really... but you know what I mean.

Anyway, I would say that it is a personal preference... but... how will one know what they prefer if they never try anything new & different?

Best 2 YOU & All.

PS There are a couple of Pros that have been said to play with shaft extensions but I can not remember who they are.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I believe BCA its 25 ounce max.

What is the max allowed weight?

My cue weighs 19.0oz
My Predator extension that I sometime use weighs roughly 4.5oz
The Balance Rite apparently weighs 2.0oz

For a total of 25.5oz when I use my extension.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

I think you are correct but I do not know of any rhyme or reason behind that.

Perhaps it is because of those odd jump cues that were ultimately made illegal. Perhaps one of them was that heavy.

You can get a regular cue to 25 oz. so why is the cue not weighed when ever an extension is put on a cue.

Oh, I forgot, there really is no real governing body for the game, only the amateur leagues.

Best to ALL.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
No problem. Just make sure you keep switching them out until you get a good one.

On the technical end, I started playing with one because my pool coach said I was too tall for my cue, my wingspan always had me playing off the butt of the cue and even then I was somewhat cramped. Now with the added inches, what a huge difference in comfort and natural feeling it makes.

I'm 6'3" (190.5 cm) and it was shown as a general practice, your cue should end at the top of your shoulder when standing up straight next to it.

I'm only six feet, but I got a 6"3" wing span...and my cue is 57 inches.
I have found the longer cues don't have enough 'guts'.

Often I go off the linen wrap on long power shots, but I don't find it a chore...
...neither did Buddy Hall...:)

I started with a 60 inch cue and tried everything down to 56, half inch at a time...
...57, for me, gave me the best hit...and what gives me the best hit is something I want
to work around....so I changed my style.

I think extensions are a great idea for awkward positions...I will use the kind that are easy
to change, on and off.
But I want my cue to be most useful in the 90% that a normal playing cue handles well.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I play with a similar in-joint extension (4" on an already 60" cue made by newsherrifintwn here on AZB) and love it. I've seen a large number of pros at least try them and several still use them. I know/have seen Shawn Wilke, Karen Corr and Max Eberle use them, and many others. SVB seems attached to his end-extension as do others. And of course Earl Strickland was called crazy for his javelin of a cue, until some folks actually tried it and saw the benefit. Shooting with a longer cue is currently a rage, and may catch on and grow some legs as more pros continue to use them. I prefer the in-joint extension, as I really like the forward balance and where my hands end up on the cue this way, as opposed to end extension sections. The only drawback may be an initial loss of finesse on tight, soft shots, but you eventually dial that in and no more issues.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

If I'm gambling, I'll let my opponent use as heavy a cue as he wants...
...'cause I feel very heavy cues are a disadvantage.

Extreme side spin with a very heavy cue is scary as hell...
..you have to trick-stroke it to alleviate the squirt factor.

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
If I'm gambling, I'll let my opponent use as heavy a cue as he wants...
...'cause I feel very heavy cues are a disadvantage.

Extreme side spin with a very heavy cue is scary as hell...
..you have to trick-stroke it to alleviate the squirt factor.

How does a heavier cue affect making a shot with sidespin?

A quick search on the web (more specifically Dr. Dave's website) indicate that since the weight isn't added to the endmass of the shaft, it shouldn't affect the squirt.

Source:
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/cue.html#weight
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/squirt.html#endmass

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
dude, others have told you this already... you need to just play pool. You got cues and a case, that's all you need at this level. Now you got a black ferrule, some pred chalk and balance right.

What's next?

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
dude, others have told you this already... you need to just play pool. You got cues and a case, that's all you need at this level. Now you got a black ferrule, some pred chalk and balance right.

What's next?

I don't agree that "just playing" is the most efficient path to quick improvement. I'd much rather grab all the information I can right at the very beginning. If I conclude I want a longer cue, I don't want to do so after 2 years and then need to get used to a "new" cue.

Also, asking a question certainly isn't taking away any practice time for me!

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam, if you are concerned about quality, do as West Point has done and order an extension from newsheriffintwm.

After reading West Point's review from February of this year about these extensions, I ordered a 4" ebony extension for my OB130. Love that cue, but have missed the forward balance of the cue that was stolen from me. Most likely the LD shaft (OB+1) is responsible for the balance difference I prefer. Should arrive in a couple of weeks, and will be happy to share my thoughts. Was $60.00 shipped.

Here's WP's review.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=389495

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
How does a heavier cue affect making a shot with sidespin?

A quick search on the web (more specifically Dr. Dave's website) indicate that since the weight isn't added to the endmass of the shaft, it shouldn't affect the squirt.

Source:
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/cue.html#weight
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/squirt.html#endmass

A lot of my billiard knowledge is empirical....I'll leave the physics to more educated minds.

...like, balls cut thick on thick cloth...How to overcome that in the heat of action?......
....cut the shot thinner.....you can think about the physics later.

Just like ivory ferrules...I never heard of the "end mass" term years ago, but I knew enough
to avoid them....'cause they squirted like a broomstick would.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd try it if I were you.

I've been using a Balance-Rite for about two years. Initially I had to get used to the extra weight and that took less than a week. I use the 3/8 x 10 version and there were no manufacturing issues.

Occasionally I play somewhere where the tables have minimum clearance from walls, poles, chairs, etc. and the longer stick is a problem, but it doesn't happen often enough that I would consider getting rid of it.

On the plus side, the extra length is a help maybe once every rack or two and when I need the extra reach, I don't have to pull out an extension for just that shot. Sometimes when shooting over the rack playing 14.1, you need to have a comfortable feel for the stick. That's harder to accomplish when adding an extension for the shot.

Bottom line is more pluses than minuses for me.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I don't agree that "just playing" is the most efficient path to quick improvement. I'd much rather grab all the information I can right at the very beginning. If I conclude I want a longer cue, I don't want to do so after 2 years and then need to get used to a "new" cue.

Also, asking a question certainly isn't taking away any practice time for me!

How would you know? Seriously...

I had this long ass post typed out and just deleted all of it. Do what you want kid, enjoy your balance right, butt extension, black ferrule and all that other dumb shit that you think is going to take you to pro faster.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What's next?

Hey give him a little slack,
Hes from Canada and with the long cold winters he needs something to think aboot.(not a typo)