Pls. critique my failed outs

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Not getting much attention in the "Ask the instructor" section. Putting it here in hopes of getting more input.

Just recently started looking in this part of AZ. I thoroughly enjoy some of the stuff I've read as well as watching some of the videos. I would like to submit a short video of myself failing at running out and just looking for some constructive criticism on my stroke, stance etc.

The first rack is pretty chaotic and I try to shoot myself out of a mess. Second rack went more as planned until I stuck myself to the rail. Don't pay attention to the shots I take after the miss as I am just trying to blow off steam at that point and just letting loose.

For reference the table is a Diamond Pro-Am with pro-cut pockets. Have it for maybe 2 months now and just recently, like the last couple days, finally getting used to the speed. This is the newer blue label table and it is the fastest table I have ever played on. But, I love it.

Thank you in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92NxSVwZuZI

Edit: I tried again last night and was able to put this together. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWxO-IWjcAw

Last edited:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I thought your stroke looked good. You seem to address the cue ball correctly, your back hand looks to be in the right position at impact. You seem to prefer a longer bridge than I do but there is nothing wrong with that. I have noticed most Philippino players and shorter players prefer a longer bridge.

Your shot making skill seemed decent, but I thought you let the cue ball fly way too much (like at 8:00). I like to keep whitey on a short leash if possible. You may also need to work on your pattern play a bit. Whenever a player consistently struggles with the last few balls it's a good sign that they need to work on their patterns. Learn to rely on good position rather than shooting your way out of trouble and you will find yourself winning more often.

And MUSIC, with the exception of tainted love your tunes are all wrong for good pool! j/k

My last critique (and please take it with a grain of salt) is that you seem to be self defeating. I noticed that when you missed a shot your confidence and focus when to hell. I would work on that. Keep your emotions more even keeled. Don't celebrate to much or berate yourself either.

NOTE: I'm not a instructor by any stretch on the imagination, just offering my advice.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
I blame 80's internet radio lol. More often than not, I listen to proper pool music aka classic rock.

Thanks Cdryden for the advice. In regards to your comment at the 8 min. mark, not that I disagree with you I just want to say I was playing for a stop shot on the 9 to the sidepocket but as you saw I went too far.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I blame 80's internet radio lol. More often than not, I listen to proper pool music aka classic rock.

Thanks Cdryden for the advice. In regards to your comment at the 8 min. mark, not that I disagree with you I just want to say I was playing for a stop shot on the 9 to the sidepocket but as you saw I went too far.

I should have also stated that I do the sames things wrong at times. Often I catch myself playing too fast and letting the cue ball go more than I would like. I get into a rhythm, if I can control that rhythm it's wonderful, but when I can't it's a disaster!

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad to see Cdryden has already given you some good advice.

I've only watched the first rack, but I had to come and say you got sharked. The Ghost must be pretty scared of you to have had to send that hottie walking by when you were almost finished with your run!

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Lol you're just as bad as I am. At the poolhall if I see a female figure out of the corner of my eye I gotta check her out haha!

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

I've only watched the first rack, but I had to come and say you got sharked. The Ghost must be pretty scared of you to have had to send that hottie walking by when you were almost finished with your run!

Hi Scott,

I said the same thing in the other thread. Not in exactly the same words but the result was the same.

She walked by & the he missed.

I am going to send you a PM.

Best,
Rick

Last edited:

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
This time I got out!

Tried again last night. This time I got out. Not a perfect out. Speed control seems to be what usually gets me. I know the patterns I just overshoot sometimes so that messes up my patterns. But not this time. :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWxO-IWjcAw

The shot on the 3 to get position on the 4 is a thing of beauty, if I don't say so myself. Stll looking for some input on everything from fundamentals to my overall game and etc.

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
It's cool you're willing to put yourself out there for critique. NICE table.
Can you do a small favor? Can you find a stand or ledge to put your camera MUCH higher?
From this sharp side view, we can't see where the balls are, what angle you got, if your position
was good or rough or perfect, etc. Also fix camera light/focus setting if possible.

Here are some ideas.

• When you shoot the challenging 4-ball at 1:20ish, you seem to cinch it,
low speed, not much spin. I saw a little "Fear Steer" in your stroke too haha.
You almost scratch.

In practice, never settle on position play! It's ok to spin the cue ball even if it means you risk missing.
Can't see the angle great but it looks like you should hit this shot with lots of inside (right) spin,
and go 3 rails with the cue ball, falling on the 5 in the side.

• After that you're just recovering... but nice straight shooting. Think your fundamentals are good.
Shot from 6 to 7 was pretty. Your cue ball paths (even on 'recovery shots') look risky.
Almost scratch from 5 to 6. Almost get hooked from 6 to 7 (and a little close to the side pocket too).

You want your cue ball nowhere near those problems. I can't see the angle great but was it possible
to roll the 6 medium speed and just drift forward for the 7? Or too thin? I would prefer that if it's not
SUPER slow roll, and avoids all risk of getting hooked by the 13.

Miss on 12, at 4:20... 100% blame girlfriend lol. OK, not serious.
Maybe you cut the ball this way because that was the most natural way to send the cue ball
around the 14. Some part of your brain knows "if I undercut a little, position is natural to go
around the 14 ball... but if I cut to center of the pocket, I may hit the 14 in the face."
So it can be tempting to cheat the pocket and undercut the shot, just to make position easy.
You must avoid the temptation sometimes. Maybe use a lower hit, or cut in the other pocket, etc.

• You miss the 12 and set up a different shot on it. Then miss the 13 and think for a second,
then give up and rerack. I think you know what you have to do :) Set up those shots and practice them
until you see the line and can't miss them anymore.

----------------------

Rack 2:

• Awesome breakout on 2.

8 to 9 obviously speed off a lot, but is there a safer route?
I think shots near center ball or with just a little spin are 'feel shots' and require nice touch.
This makes them harder to predict your cue ball path than a shot with full sidespin or full draw/follow.

The stun route you chose might land on the side rail, come near side pocket scratch, etc.
Maybe I see the angle wrong but it looks like full high-inside sends the cue ball 2 rails towards the 10.
No scratch, no chance of being stuck on the rail.

Straight in on the rail on the 10... should shoot the 9 before this with a little outside to guarantee this can't happen.
But once it does happen, you almost always should shoot shots like this with a level cue and pure follow.
Jacking up, trying to stun with high outside, getting on the side pocket... makes the shot so much harder.
Just level cue, aim carefully to cheat the pocket, drill it with top or top+inside.
That should go 2 rails for the 12 in the corner.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So here is the funny part.

I was not going to watch this, till I read this.

Now I have to so I can check her out :embarrassed2::)

... too dark! Please redo the video with more lighting so as not to hide any other girls that may be wandering around.

Oh.. pretty nice shooting, some good shots made.

Last edited:

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
It's cool you're willing to put yourself out there for critique. NICE table.
Can you do a small favor? Can you find a stand or ledge to put your camera MUCH higher?
From this sharp side view, we can't see where the balls are, what angle you got, if your position
was good or rough or perfect, etc. Also fix camera light/focus setting if possible.

Here are some ideas.

• When you shoot the challenging 4-ball at 1:20ish, you seem to cinch it,
low speed, not much spin. I saw a little "Fear Steer" in your stroke too haha.
You almost scratch.

In practice, never settle on position play! It's ok to spin the cue ball even if it means you risk missing.
Can't see the angle great but it looks like you should hit this shot with lots of inside (right) spin,
and go 3 rails with the cue ball, falling on the 5 in the side.

• After that you're just recovering... but nice straight shooting. Think your fundamentals are good.
Shot from 6 to 7 was pretty. Your cue ball paths (even on 'recovery shots') look risky.
Almost scratch from 5 to 6. Almost get hooked from 6 to 7 (and a little close to the side pocket too).

You want your cue ball nowhere near those problems. I can't see the angle great but was it possible
to roll the 6 medium speed and just drift forward for the 7? Or too thin? I would prefer that if it's not
SUPER slow roll, and avoids all risk of getting hooked by the 13.

Miss on 12, at 4:20... 100% blame girlfriend lol. OK, not serious.
Maybe you cut the ball this way because that was the most natural way to send the cue ball
around the 14. Some part of your brain knows "if I undercut a little, position is natural to go
around the 14 ball... but if I cut to center of the pocket, I may hit the 14 in the face."
So it can be tempting to cheat the pocket and undercut the shot, just to make position easy.
You must avoid the temptation sometimes. Maybe use a lower hit, or cut in the other pocket, etc.

• You miss the 12 and set up a different shot on it. Then miss the 13 and think for a second,
then give up and rerack. I think you know what you have to do :) Set up those shots and practice them
until you see the line and can't miss them anymore.

----------------------

Rack 2:

• Awesome breakout on 2.

8 to 9 obviously speed off a lot, but is there a safer route?
I think shots near center ball or with just a little spin are 'feel shots' and require nice touch.
This makes them harder to predict your cue ball path than a shot with full sidespin or full draw/follow.

The stun route you chose might land on the side rail, come near side pocket scratch, etc.
Maybe I see the angle wrong but it looks like full high-inside sends the cue ball 2 rails towards the 10.
No scratch, no chance of being stuck on the rail.

Straight in on the rail on the 10... should shoot the 9 before this with a little outside to guarantee this can't happen.
But once it does happen, you almost always should shoot shots like this with a level cue and pure follow.
Jacking up, trying to stun with high outside, getting on the side pocket... makes the shot so much harder.
Just level cue, aim carefully to cheat the pocket, drill it with top or top+inside.
That should go 2 rails for the 12 in the corner.

Creedo, awesome review. Exactly why I posted the vid. Thank you.

I tried again last night and was able to put this together. I think you're gonna like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWxO-IWjcAw

I have to make some sort of contraption to hang the camera to the ceiling for my next one. Thanks for watching.

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Tried again last night. This time I got out. Not a perfect out. Speed control seems to be what usually gets me. I know the patterns I just overshoot sometimes so that messes up my patterns. But not this time. :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWxO-IWjcAw

The shot on the 3 to get position on the 4 is a thing of beauty, if I don't say so myself. Stll looking for some input on everything from fundamentals to my overall game and etc.

Daaaaamn dude, are you related to that other Reyes guy?
That out was 95% perfect. Just bumping that one ball, but you stayed down and drilled the long straight
shot right after like it was no big deal. Whole thing was really nice.
To be honest I should be taking lessons from you, I don't think any of my outs are ever that nice.

One small trick I learned recently in a lesson, on the break. If you take fast practice swings,
your final break will be faster too. You already seem to break pretty good but making another ball
or two would be nice. Shane takes some pretty fast ones to start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOLH4loShWU&noredirect=1

And make sure you make one of those 2nd row balls, if they hit low you wanna triple check
the rack is tight (even magic rack needs a double check). If there are gaps those balls hit below the side.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Daaaaamn dude, are you related to that other Reyes guy?
That out was 95% perfect. Just bumping that one ball, but you stayed down and drilled the long straight
shot right after like it was no big deal. Whole thing was really nice.
To be honest I should be taking lessons from you, I don't think any of my outs are ever that nice.

One small trick I learned recently in a lesson, on the break. If you take fast practice swings,
your final break will be faster too. You already seem to break pretty good but making another ball
or two would be nice. Shane takes some pretty fast ones to start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOLH4loShWU&noredirect=1

And make sure you make one of those 2nd row balls, if they hit low you wanna triple check
the rack is tight (even magic rack needs a double check). If there are gaps those balls hit below the side.

Thanks Man. I need to spread some reputation around before giving you more, it said. Lol.

I won't argue with you my break sucks. It didn't used to until I broke the break stick :angry: That was just last week. Those predator break cues snap like twigs I tell you. Threw it on the ground out of frustration. Which reminds me I was going to offer the butt to the board to anyone that wants it. It's a BK2 with the sport wrap.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same thing both times, you had a ball near the corner pocket which would have been better than the ball on the spot.

Shot selection.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I definitely need a BK2 in my life. I'm looking at the shafts online and they seem a little expensive at 250ish. I'd happily take that BK2 butt if anyone knows where to get a shaft for less than that.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Wish I could watch it but there is something about your video that my iPhone does not like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
I definitely need a BK2 in my life. I'm looking at the shafts online and they seem a little expensive at 250ish. I'd happily take that BK2 butt if anyone knows where to get a shaft for less than that.

The butt has a slight warp. It's been warped long before this last "accident". I'll give it a look over when I get home later. If everythings good I'll get it out to you next week.

As punishment I've had to use for my break an el cheapo cue with a medium tip. The weight, balance and taper is just all wrong for breaking.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Same thing both times, you had a ball near the corner pocket which would have been better than the ball on the spot.

Shot selection.

Hi Al. I'm not playing 8ball. I'm playing a full rack in rotation.