Pool advice in Esquire?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Are those rifles M-14's?

Negative GhostRider, eh 3RAILKICK

Those are M1 Garands and according to General George S. Patton, the greatest battle implement ever devised.

The 7.62x51mm, aka .308NATO used in the M-14 was designed to have identical ballistic specs to the 30-06. The shorter length of the 308NATO cartridge feeds better in the shorter action of the M-14, and other semi-automatic assault rifle designs of the time.

The closest to an M-14 in 30-06 is the Beretta BM-59, licensed copy a M-1 with a detachable magazine.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the M1 was .30-06 and could use a NATO round. The Marine Corp stopped using about 1963. At least that is about when we were supposed to trade them in. Seems to me that some people had them over seas after that date.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always did like line dancing. Course it was more fun to do the dog on the bar with some fine looking woman. We had fun in the 50s and 60s that kids today have missed. Heck half of them can't two step. :grin:

Hotrock.jpg

and later

Che.jpg

Sometimes I miss you baby -- don't know why.

If your not with the one you love, love the one your with. Remember that one!

And here is a 60s kinda guy about the time he was carrying that M1

Joe62.jpg
[/IMG]

Those were the days when we

hung out downtown and let the music surround you.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The military did come up with a chamber insert to use the 308NATO in the M1, as the catridge is shorter than the 30-06. However, in field testing it was less than satisfactory as there was always inherent danger of coming out stuck with the next round extraction. The US Navy converted a few M1 to 308, and the Army's solution was the M14. Our NATO allies decided to go with Fabrique Nationale de Herstal 's new light automatic rifle, FN FAL.

In terms of recoil, there is no comparison between a M1 and M16/AR-15. The M1 and Springfield 1903A3 both use the same 30-06 round, but the M1 gas mechanism significantly lessen the perceived recoil and reduced user fatigue. In one field test, marine riflemen maintained the same combat effectiveness after shooting 200 rounds in the M1 as as 50 rounds through a Springfield 1903A3. Despite the results of the test and the effectiveness of the M1, the military dragged it feet to replace A3 from the hands of front line marines in the Pacific theater. :-(

I believe the M1 was .30-06 and could use a NATO round. The Marine Corp stopped using about 1963. At least that is about when we were supposed to trade them in. Seems to me that some people had them over seas after that date.

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Always did like line dancing. Course it was more fun to do the dog on the bar with some fine looking woman. We had fun in the 50s and 60s that kids today have missed. Heck half of them can't two step. :grin:

Hotrock.jpg

and later

Che.jpg

Sometimes I miss you baby -- don't know why.

If your not with the one you love, love the one your with. Remember that one!

And here is a 60s kinda guy about the time he was carrying that M1

Joe62.jpg
[/IMG]

Those were the days when we

hung out downtown and let the music surround you.

You look a lot like Danny Harriman in that picture.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Joe, I took dance lessons for years. You're right, the youngins don't know how much fun a swing dance, or two stepping is. Specially waltzes, where you're actually forced to come in contact with your partner.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
My M-1 Garand is Korean war era...made by International Harvester. 30-06caliber, uses an en bloc clip..inserted from the top, 8 rounds. I got mine by entering a high powered rifle competition through my NRA affiliated gun club. That qualified me to buy the surplus rifle from the US Army's civilian marksmanship program. This was back in the early 70's...think I paid $125.

Local post office went bananas when I picked the rifle up & blurted out what it was. "You can't send a firearm in the mail!"... I just pointed to the return address, and said: "They can." :grin:

Cool 60's photo Joe...young guys should remember that inside ever old guy resides a young guy.

Last edited:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kay (my wife) and I went to a 14.1 qualifier in Maryland three years ago. She was standing next to the nicest young guy who took the time to explain 14.1 to her. Answered all of her questions and told her some of the finer points of the game. They had a great conversation. Later she tells me about this polite, kind young guy who took the time to be so nice. I asked her to point out the guy. Turns out it was Danny Harriman. He has a fan for life.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh yea

:happydance:
Joe, I took dance lessons for years. You're right, the youngins don't know how much fun a swing dance, or two stepping is. Specially waltzes, where you're actually forced to come in contact with your partner.

May the force be with you.

We could use more huggin', less muggin'.

3railkick