Pool Ball Collecting.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do any of you that collect billiard balls also collect Carom Balls?

I haven't checked the entire thread but I haven't seen any.

Hello, Mr zencues!

As one of the many “collectors” of ball sets on AZB, I have focused on those balls that I can actually play on a (standard US) pocket billiards table and thus the 2 1/4” variety (with 1 exception) since one goal of my collection is that every set will be played on my table.

My recent admiration of the 3C game will undoubtedly have me dabbling in the 61.5mm arena soon - and perhaps you can help with that,sir, as well as my game in the near future. I’ve heard you know a thing or two about 3C and I’d welcome the opportunity

~ K.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, everyone.

We’ve all seen the nearly unlimited designs being manufactured into ball sets this last decade or two, with a relatively recent surge of the swirl or marbleized patterns. I have a few myself. You know, for those that just may ask “hey, mister, do you happen to have any of those swirly pool balls that I saw over at my pal’s place a while back?” “But of course I do......” and so it goes. And then I’ll pull these out:

80bc126bc3991de34233378f1cd0a568.jpg

These are boxed under the name Pro Series Black Fusion Marbelite. Yes, spelled Marbelite. But look at the colors! My granddaughter said they were “beautiful”

I don’t see anything on the box that claims where they hail from or from what manufacturer, but based on the price alone, I’d wager a guess in one of the hundreds of Asian factories. But wait...

The weight tolerence is within 1 GRAM of each of the 16. Less than 1 gram apart actually. For comparison, that alone is tighter than ANY Cyclop set I’ve ever weighed or reviewed - as well as 99% of any set from Belgium. I do have a few sets of Raschig’s that are tighter than that, but that’s another story

Ok - back to the balls. These Fusion Marbelite balls performed very well in every category, including impact marks after a few hours of playing 99 vs Olympic 9-Ball last night. They cleaned up easily and I saw zero skids or hops or bad rolls or any other traits one could associate with cheap balls.

These round wonders retail for $75 I believe at my good friend Albert’s store here in Fort Worth - which is why I couldn’t refuse to add them to the collection for that chance of when someone will ask “hey, mister...”

Last edited:

GoPlayPool

Search. Find. Play.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool Balls

Hello all:
We have all different sets of pool balls, we are trying to sell. If there are more information on how to sell or who is interested, please email us at: info@goplaypool.com

All the balls are on this webpage for your viewing: >>> Web-Page <<<

Thanks

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varying design and details of playable ball sets have always been two of the top things that catch my eye when looking for something “new” to add to a collection - and the following set I’d like to share was no exception. It was one of those that brought a muffled “hmm, now that’s interesting” to anyone within earshot.

I can only imagine the manufacturing challenges that must have been present nearly 30 years ago and the trial and error that surely followed when someone said “hey, I have an idea for this new ball design - let’s do an image of the actual ball as the number of the ball itself - like a miniature version combined with the full-size version!”

Well, needless to say, pictures are one thing and having the actual item in-hand can be quite something else entirely - and many times, the pictures are better than real life. Except this time. The details of this ball set are most impressive - with the exception of a slightly off-kilter image or number on a few balls.

To see these rolling on the table is nothing short of an illusion of sorts - miniature balls AND regulation balls occupying the same space on the baize? Is that even possible

The finish and durability seem to be nothing but top-shelf, even by today’s high standard of production hailing from Belgium or a few premier Asian manufacturers. Made by Crest - and simply marketed as “Professional Billiard Ball Set” in an original box that must have been moved 100 times from place to place - but NEVER played. The balls themselves are flawless in every way.

Here they are: the Crest Professionals

14d37b8d4ff8c27d68ed680bb19cf3cd.jpg

~ K.

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello, K2K. :)

Two more beautiful and interesting sets, sir. Your incredible collection continues to amaze and impress.

I have stumbled upon those intriguing Crest balls many times whilst browsing websites such as Alibaba, whose accompanying photographs I now realise have always done them a terrible injustice. What a revelation to see your image above, they look great!

Best wishes,
RC.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone, I just would like a date on these balls and more info. They are brand new old stock and they look nice enough to buy, thx

Attachments

• IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 360

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good morning, Knels. :)

Thank you for sharing the picture, sir, I have seen that set many times and it is a particular favourite. The simplicity appeals, something of a classical design to my eye.

I'm unable to answer your question with any great accuracy, alas, but I can tell you that Iszy Billiards sold this set until very recently for under $50, an absolute bargain. The generic black 'bubble' box would suggest your billiard balls originated somewhere in the Far East (probably one of the Chinese manufacturing ports like Xiamen or Guangzhou) and are no more than twenty years old... they could be brand new.

Best wishes,
RC.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hyatt Set

Old Hyatt set that I could part ways with for the right $$$$

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 342

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of welcoming a new face to the thread, Rubik’s, may I introduce a fellow you may recognize - say hello to my little friend...

64d74d6b08f5f42cda5ed8e0adc7d969.jpg

I’ve been waiting for what seems like years for the perfect segue and opportunity to share a ball set with everyone on the forum that can only fall in one category: those sets that no one of any reasonable sense should ever play with let alone actually own

Yes, Scarface. The movie.

BUT - before anyone chimes in with a few well-deserved wise cracks along the lines of “what in the world were you thinking?”, allow me a few seconds to share the “story”...

I’ve been seeing these damn things out of the corner of my eye setting on a floor model Brunswick every time I walk through my good friend’s store (Fort Worth Billiards) thinking who in the hell would ever buy those?! Are they some sort of store decor or what? And after this scene played out maybe 30 times (OK, 50 times) I started feeling bad for this lone set of goofy balls and couldn’t take it any longer - they needed a home - and since there isn’t a shelter for unwanted balls, thought I could at least make them feel welcome in a wacky cabinet of curiosities for the deranged and troubled collector. Or a player that just may ask one day “hey - do you have anything I can play pool with from that Scarface movie?”

Of course there’s a back side pic:

f64188bfa8771f8f0ee8d59145ecd0c7.jpg

To be fair, they are beautifully made. The packaging is unique and well made. Their weight tolerances are exceptionally tight and they roll true off of the stimpmeter. They even play well.

The funny thing is, after 5 minutes of a few 14.1 racks, you don’t even realize how many lines you had memorized from the movie and is actually playing out in your head.

And my welcome aboard as well, Snooker Theory

~ K.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I’m on roll here lately with a few wacky sets, I may as well get it over with and pull these out for show and tell:

7b78318a665bbec4de22177c2aed74c5.jpg

- because we all know there’s someone out there that this set will bring back teenage or college memories and stories like no other balls on a table could

That way I’m always prepared

These sweethearts were found in a plain cardboard box with each one wrapped in a baggie for some reason and smelled of heavy cigarette smoke and perhaps sweat Nothing a little TLC and proper materials can’t remedy along with a bright new ball tray and they look (nearly) good as new.

~ K.

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good morning, gentlemen, I hope you're all in fine health and spirits. :)

Ah, the iconic Playboy Bunny logo, K2K. Mr Hefner's famous design has appeared on at least six billiard ball sets over the years, my own example (shared on posts 7 and 570) being a personal favourite. I wonder if any other AZB members could fill in the gaps?

Best wishes,
RC.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, post #7 - the best Bunny logo balls I’ve seen so far, Rubik’s. And of course part of the best Collection in the UK. This lesser-than design has been about all I’ve found around these parts in any shape worth having.

How about we see if those other 5 designs can’t be had, sir?

Another loony pursuit, but pursuit nonetheless 🤣

~ K.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Absolutely, sir! :)

I'll keep my eyes peeled at this end, strangely enough the larger (and newer unfortunately) 2.25 Playboy sets do occasionally crop up on British eBay. Failing that, one could always pop down to the newsstand for a copy of the magazine... purely for the articles and advertisements of course! :)

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They sooo missed an opportunity with the 8ball in that Scarface set.

Agreed!

I think they figured using the image from the theater posters and marketing materials would be the best choice.

Another cool thing though - the ball collisions sound like gunshots if you hit them just right

~ K.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever found yourself wondering “who in the world would buy or have or even play with something like that?”

This is one of those sets - and probably would have stayed just a thought like that but no, I had to see them rolling on the table. That did it. Unique for sure.

Hey - a New Years Eve pool match perhaps. Chilled Champagne, a few amazing hors d’oeuvres with a few couples playing Mr & Mrs and you’ll have a hit on your hands.

Ok - that’s stretching it. But here you go: glitter balls. From an unknown location in China.

a5dec9f4079187b64931044157168650.jpg

You’ll have to believe me on this one: they look quite crazy rolling across the table under bright lights

~ K.