Pool halls in Phoenix, AZ

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well like I said Diamonds Pool Tables are very pretty. Funny thing was we had a young guy come by our little community room last week, gather was giving him the tour of our community & it recreation areas, he was blown away with all the GC II, and said wow this place is really nice.

Mention he had a Diamond at his home in Chi-Town, but our 29 Brunswick's were impressive to him.

Everyone like something else, and I will stick my my Vote for Kolby's for Pool, and Man Fook Lo in LA for Chinese food.

I'm not Pro Diamond as much as you'd like to believe, but what I AM is a little pissed about pool room owners mentality when it comes to upkeeping their equipment...or their failure to so, but justify their lack of keeping their equipment up to par, by using the excuse that the tables are good enough for the "bangers"...who by the way, are the majority of a pool rooms income. Then when times change, and them bangers decide to go play somewhere else...that treats them like real important customers, the old pool closes its doors...and eyeryone then wants to cry about how pool is going down in this country;)...when it's not going down, customers with money...are just watching how they spend it....and where;)

Bottom line is in a pool room that is charging customers to play pool, should have ALL the tables at the same quality of play...and for how ever you want to take it, Dave Clayton IS the table mechanic that does the work on the tables at Kolbys, so I wouldn't brag him up to much as being the "Best" table mechanic in the valley, because if that's the best he can do....he should getout of the business;)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glenn some people call Taco Bell & Dell Taco Real Mexican food, other know the difference. It really is not a big deal.

I bet on the guy with SKILL in Pool, not the Guy who has the dough to buy great tools, can not make em work, because of a low skill level.:smile:

Diamond Billiard still keeping you busy Glenn? Like maybe your major source of income?

To put it to you in a way you MAY understand, you fly into an airport heading to LA. You have to take a cab to get where you're going once you get there. Outside waiting is 2 cabs, one...a limo, and the other is a 1955 Chev 4 door, the kind that use to be at every Army base waiting to take you off post.

The cab ride to where you're going is going to cost you $20, and it's the same price taking either cab, which one are you leaving the airport in...the limo, or the Chev?

Glen

11Bravo

Registered
Thanks guys! I appreciate the info, as well as the extracurricular "conversation". I'm gonna check out bull shooters as it's on my way to a few stores I need to visit. And I'm looking to get a tip tool. I'm also looking to play on a 9' diamond pro-am as that's my next pool table.
Thanks again gentlemen.
11Bravo

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i do like diamond tables but ... it takes more than just the brand of tables a place has when i decide on a place to go shoot pool. we have a pool hall in town that is all diamonds but it is the last place on my mind to visit when i go to shoot. oh yea i heard there is a bar in town with a few diamonds also but again i never go there either.

i look for a place that has a very friendly proprietor who is heavily involved in the day to day operation of his place. a place close to home. a place that has decent prices and good food. a place that takes care of their tables. a place that offers all types of formats to play .

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Ken

realkingcobra

Silver Member
i do like diamond tables but ... it takes more than just the brand of tables a place has when i decide on a place to go shoot pool. we have a pool hall in town that is all diamonds but it is the last place on my mind to visit when i go to shoot. oh yea i heard there is a bar in town with a few diamonds also but again i never go there either.

i look for a place that has a very friendly proprietor who is heavily involved in the day to day operation of his place. a place close to home. a place that has decent prices and good food. a place that takes care of their tables. a place that offers all types of formats to play .

That right there is why there's pool rooms going out of business today, being flushed down the drain is what I call it. Any pool room that is only offering a few of what you just mentioned is still thinking last years business plan is going to keep working for them for the next 10 years...and they couldn't be more wrong. Room owners today have to look ahead, and at the same time try to imagine what a NEW pool room in the area might have to offer opening a new room...and make them same changes in their OWN pool room first....before someone comes along and shows them what they SHOULD have done to STAY in business. Pool rooms don't go out of business just to close the doors because they don't want to make money anymore...they go out of business because they WON'T take the steps needed to STAY IN business and to continue on making money!

Glen

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That right there is why there's pool rooms going out of business today, being flushed down the drain is what I call it. Any pool room that is only offering a few of what you just mentioned is still thinking last years business plan is going to keep working for them for the next 10 years...and they couldn't be more wrong. Room owners today have to look ahead, and at the same time try to imagine what a NEW pool room in the area might have to offer opening a new room...and make them same changes in their OWN pool room first....before someone comes along and shows them what they SHOULD have done to STAY in business. Pool rooms don't go out of business just to close the doors because they don't want to make money anymore...they go out of business because they WON'T take the steps needed to STAY IN business and to continue on making money!

Glen

Glen -

You don't have a clue.

The room that lorider is talking about is BUSY every day and night. It has no debt, takes care of its Gold Crown tables and Valley Tables for the league guys. When was the last time that you went to a pool room and all the tables were busy and you had to get your name on a list like the freakin' Crackerbarrel?

The reason pool rooms are closing, "moonbeam" isn't because they aren't thinking about the future, its because they take on too much debt, and don't take care of their customers, the numbers fall off, then they complain about folks playing video games and not playing pool.

Its about customer service. After reading several threads about you not calling, stealing some guys rails and not returning them, having lawsuits brought against Diamonds. You are probably not the one to give ANYONE advice how to make a business work.

Jeez.

Ken

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen -

You don't have a clue.

The room that lorider is talking about is BUSY every day and night. It has no debt, takes care of its Gold Crown tables and Valley Tables for the league guys. When was the last time that you went to a pool room and all the tables were busy and you had to get your name on a list like the freakin' Crackerbarrel?

The reason pool rooms are closing, "moonbeam" isn't because they aren't thinking about the future, its because they take on too much debt, and don't take care of their customers, the numbers fall off, then they complain about folks playing video games and not playing pool.

Its about customer service. After reading several threads about you not calling, stealing some guys rails and not returning them, having lawsuits brought against Diamonds. You are probably not the one to give ANYONE advice how to make a business work.

Jeez.

Ken
Shows how much you know....lawsuits...against Diamond, what a joke:rotflmao1:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen -

You don't have a clue.

Jeez.

Ken
What's your excuse for the rooms going out of business that have been in business for the last 5, 10, 15+ years...with the current level of debt, not taking on NEW debt?...could it be that they didn't think they needed to improve their business in order to stay in business...like put in food and booze...to help cover the current costs of doing business...so they'd stay in business...like the Comet in NJ?...along with many others that went down that same path?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Shows what you know about customer service champ....:rolleyes:

Ken

I've been in business for 30+ years, and I'm doing fine. I help those I can help, when I can...and that's always going to piss someone else off when I can't take care of them next...I can't help that, that's the way the ball bounces. But...I don't have any customers complaining about the work I've done for them in the past....now do I, THAT"S also customer service buddy:rolleyes:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's your excuse for the rooms going out of business that have been in business for the last 5, 10, 15+ years...with the current level of debt, not taking on NEW debt?...could it be that they didn't think they needed to improve their business in order to stay in business...like put in food and booze...to help cover the current costs of doing business...so they'd stay in business...like the Comet in NJ?...along with many others that went down that same path?

Hey genius,

Lorider told you they had excellent food and bar service....:rolleyes:

My excuse, I don't have an excuse, but part running a business is staying customer focused and doing what is necessary to bring in business. I too have seen businesses go out of business, and it usually wasn't an overnight thing it was something that happened over time.

Ken

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hey genius,

Lorider told you they had excellent food and bar service....:rolleyes:

My excuse, I don't have an excuse, but part running a business is staying customer focused and doing what is necessary to bring in business. I too have seen businesses go out of business, and it usually wasn't an overnight thing it was something that happened over time.

Ken

We're saying the same damn thing, only you are trying to bring it on as some kind of personal attack aganist me...like I haven't been around this industry long enough to know what's going on with it...your mistake, like I already said...I've been in THIS exact industry for 30+ years....how long have YOU been working in it?:rolleyes:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're saying the same damn thing, only you are trying to bring it on as some kind of personal attack aganist me...like I haven't been around this industry long enough to know what's going on with it...your mistake, like I already said...I've been in THIS exact industry for 30+ years....how long have YOU been working in it?:rolleyes:

Long enough to know that I wouldn't steal or keep a guys rails.

Guess that makes me more experienced than you.

Ken

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Long enough to know that I wouldn't steal or keep a guys rails.

Guess that makes me more experienced than you.

Ken

I shipped Tony his rails back quite a while ago, but you wouldn't know that would you:rolleyes: now go ahead and ask me something stupid...like it's any of your business what I do...in my line of work. Back to my question...how long have you been working in this industry?...or are you just a railbird, watching from the sidelines:rolleyes:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shipped Tony his rails back quite a while ago, but you wouldn't know that would you:rolleyes: now go ahead and ask me something stupid...like it's any of your business what I do...in my line of work. Back to my question...how long have you been working in this industry?...or are you just a railbird, watching from the sidelines:rolleyes:

Tony so happy with your service, he is probably going to have you come back again isn't he? He understands and appreciates someone with your skills in customer service.

I worked for a Division of Brunswick in the 80's.

Ken

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Tony so happy with your service, he is probably going to have you come back again isn't he? He understands and appreciates someone with your skills in customer service.

I worked for a Division of Brunswick in the 80's.

Ken

Brunswick has many divisions, not all pool related I might add:rolleyes: so I guess I was right in thinking you're no more than a peanut in the peanut gallery when it comes to actually being involved in this industry, meaning...you don't really have involvement in trying to make it a better sport, or actually doing something to help improve it:rolleyes: And what, now you're speaking for Tony?..wow..ain't you special;)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I'm not Pro Diamond as much as you'd like to believe, but what I AM is a little pissed about pool room owners mentality when it comes to upkeeping their equipment...or their failure to so, but justify their lack of keeping their equipment up to par, by using the excuse that the tables are good enough for the "bangers"...who by the way, are the majority of a pool rooms income. Then when times change, and them bangers decide to go play somewhere else...that treats them like real important customers, the old pool closes its doors...and eyeryone then wants to cry about how pool is going down in this country;)...when it's not going down, customers with money...are just watching how they spend it....and where;)

Bottom line is in a pool room that is charging customers to play pool, should have ALL the tables at the same quality of play...and for how ever you want to take it, Dave Clayton IS the table mechanic that does the work on the tables at Kolbys, so I wouldn't brag him up to much as being the "Best" table mechanic in the valley, because if that's the best he can do....he should getout of the business;)

Well Glen you can be pissed about the owner who don’t want to spend money on recovering tables, and replacing rails that are crap. But IMHO a owner of any Pool Room, Bar, or Sports Bar right now in 2013 is trying to survive in a crap economy. Thank OBAMA for that.

Arizona is a Right to Work State, with notoriously low wages, and few high paying union jobs. Believe it or not recently I heard the average wage in AZ was 11-13 Bucks an hour. Now we got people being down sized from full time to part time thanks to Obama Care aka Affordable Healthcare Law.

So lets not blame Dave Clayton, as he is not the person who says go ahead Dave, recover all the tables in Kolby’s, and bring everything up to snuff as money is no object. Dave does work, but don’t pay for Kolby’s table to be taken care of.

I will assume that is Jimmy L. if he still owns the Kolby’s. Also sorry to say the last time I was at Kolby’s lets say the Strip Mall Owner appears to also be slacking off taking care of the property. Yes instead of ever unit being full with renters, several units were vacant make the owner no money.

Now you got competition of ASU down the street with its own Pool Room, so you don’t have all those college kids, like most college towns running to the local pool room. They stay on campus, and spend their Pool money at ASU.

Pool Rooms, Bars, and Sports Bars close for many reason, and one only need watch a few of the series, Bar Rescue on Spike TV to see why a few many Bars, Sports Bars, and Pool Room have closed, or are a failing.

Dave use to recover our 30 tables, now 29 tables every August where I live. Now Rec. Center Management says how many of the 29 will be covered to save money. This year it was 7 or maybe 9. The others are being put off until they really need it.

Believe it or not a couple of Bars in the Valley still have 25 Cent A Game Pool Tables, many are 50 Cents a Game, and if you raised the cost per game. Customers would stop coming, and find a place with CHEAP TABLES.

I heard Metro Sports Bar went to Diamond Bar Boxes, and if the game cost went for 50 Cents to a Buck I bet people will stop coming to Metro.

The USA & Arizona are in a recession, one only need look at the AZB Wanted & For Sale Section to see money is tight.

I recall maybe 5 year ago going ever Tuesday Night to a place call the Northern. They had a weekly 9 ball event. normally they had 20 player, some nights as many as 30-34. Place is now closed. The Owner & his Dad were Pool people, but the economy, competition, and other factors killed that nice little place.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswick has many divisions, not all pool related I might add:rolleyes: so I guess I was right in thinking you're no more than a peanut in the peanut gallery when it comes to actually being involved in this industry, meaning...you don't really have involvement in trying to make it a better sport, or actually doing something to help improve it:rolleyes: And what, now you're speaking for Tony?..wow..ain't you special;)

Yep, you are really making it better.

Blackeyes after blackeyes.

You speaking for Tony?

Ken