Pool in news - Gabe, grandma, IPT

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The local paper in Oklahoma did an interview with Gabe's 92 yr old grandmother and his aunt. :)

BROKEN ARROW DAILY LEDGER
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A GRANDMOTHER’S PRIDE – Amy Woods points to a picture of her grandson, Gabe Owen, depicted as “Superman” on the front of a billiard’s magazine. Woods recalls playing pool with Owen when he was 5. His success in the field is a source of great pride for her.

Grandma’s Pride: Billiards ace grandson
Amy Woods was one of first to play the game with now-ace grandson

By Lucienda Denson
Lifestyle Editor
ldenson@neighbor-newspapers.com

Amy Woods doesn’t play pool -- or billiards -- but her magazines of choice these days have to do with the sport.
Her grandson, Gabe Owen, is one of the hottest up-and-coming billiards players in the country.
“He is being compared to Tiger Woods,” said Peggy Howland, Amy Wood’s daughter and Owen’s aunt. “Some of the pool and billiards magazines are calling him the greatest young gun.”
Woods, now 92, grew up in a time when girls, especially grandmothers, usually didn’t know much about things like pool.
She was born in rural Missouri, one of 10 children and grew up being “busy” helping with the family. After she married, she was a housewife and earned extra money by cutting onions and picking cotton and strawberries.
Peggy Howland remembers her mother as a tireless worker.
“Mother would get up really early in the morning and start a fire in the wood stove, cook breakfast, get everyone fed and dressed and then head out to work herself,” Howland said.
“She ran a lunch wagon. In the summer, we would go with her. In the evening, when everyone came home, she would feed everybody, do the dishes, clean the house, and the next morning, get up really early and start all over again.”
Woods and her first husband, Thomas Conduff, lived for many years in Arkansas and in Wichita, Kan. Finally, they decided to move to Broken Arrow “so Thomas could work with another man building houses,” she said.
Conduff died in 1971. Woods married Henry Woods in 1973 and was widowed again in 1976. She now lives in a small apartment in Broken Arrow where she keeps up with what all her children and grandchildren are doing.
Right now, she’s paying a considerable amount of attention to what is happening in Owen’s career.
Owen was very young when his parents, Wood’s daughter Kathy and husband Bob Owen, separated. Woods often baby-sat the boy.
“I remember when Gabe was about 5 years old. His brother, Bobby, was in school and they had a pool table in the basement. Gabe would say, ‘Grandma, will you go down to the basement and play pool with me?’” Woods said.
She remembers he was a better pool player at age 5 than she was as an adult.
Even so, Owen didn’t develop a strong interest in pool and billiards until his teen years. With his grandmother’s and mother’s encouragement, he played often.
“I know Mother often gave him money so he could play,” Howland said.
Woods ticks off Owen’s wins like a veteran billiards fan: 2004 U.S. Open 9-Ball Champion, a member of the winning U.S. team in the Mosconi Cup held in Amsterdam in 2004, and a member of the 2006 International Pool Tour.
“That’s one of the biggest things in pool now,” said Howland.
Owen recently moved from the Broken Arrow area to Florida, where he will be a house pro for Bankshot Billiards in Jacksonville, voted the third most prestigious pool hall in America.
“Anytime he’s in the area, Gabe always comes to see me,” Woods said.
Owen has turned an interest into a very lucrative career with often high-dollar rewards. But for Woods, those rewards take second place to visits, letters and phone calls from her grandson.

end

Reactions: JAM

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As with some articles, not everything quite accurate, and aunt got a bit carried away. But thought we would share it anyway.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Nice story ...

Kathy, she sounded a lot like my Grandma Lillie, may she rest in peace.
Sometimes, these stories, help others understand where these players
have emerged from and the basis of their ongoing drive for Pool.

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
I got to see Gabe in action in Reno and was very favorably impressed with his game and his demeanor, not to mention that he is a cutie patootie! You have every reason to be proud.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
gabesmom said:
Owen recently moved from the Broken Arrow area to Florida, where he will be a house pro for Bankshot Billiards in Jacksonville, voted the third most prestigious pool hall in America.
end

What vote is she referring to? Anyone have the top 10 list from this vote?

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gabesmom said:
As with some articles, not everything quite accurate, and aunt got a bit carried away. But thought we would share it anyway.

Oh heck, she didn't get carried away, it is just the way she sees it.

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesh, that's the way she sees it, she knows little to nothing about pool, although she is now also becoming a big fan of several other players too. Pool must have some kind of a 'fever' associated with it that people seem to catch.
So when the IPT comes out on TV, I think there will be alot of non-pool people that will become real fans too. I know I never watched golf until Tiger came along, nor ice skating (very rarely) until Skating with Celebrities, or ballroom dance until the Dancing with the Stars shows.
In the meanwhile, grandma has many other seniors getting hooked! In fact, she said the Meals on Wheels people have been talking about it!
If nothing else, Gabe is attracting lots of seniors in Oklahoma!! Any other players doing anything similar? haha

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
I imagine it's less to do with pool and more to do with the whole "Local Boy Does Good" thing. People often pick up on things because someone they know (or someone who knows someone they know) becomes famous doing it.

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ScottW said:
I imagine it's less to do with pool and more to do with the whole "Local Boy Does Good" thing. People often pick up on things because someone they know (or someone who knows someone they know) becomes famous doing it.
Yes, I agree with you. But many of them didn't even know there were pool matches on tv, and are now watching many of them, discovering and/or learning about pool. Don't know if that necessarily promotes the game in that arena, but the players make for entertainment for many of the people.

jungledude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your whole family should be proud

:D Gabe is not only a great player, he is a wonderful young man and I can understand how proud you should all be. Pool is an extremely tough lifestyle and only the real strong survive, and obviously Gabe has shown
the fortitude it takes to be a great player and a great person. Here's hoping the future of the ITP continues to be promising and Gabe continues to be one of it's stars. :D :p :D

gabesmom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jungledude said:
:D Gabe is not only a great player, he is a wonderful young man and I can understand how proud you should all be. Pool is an extremely tough lifestyle and only the real strong survive, and obviously Gabe has shown
the fortitude it takes to be a great player and a great person. Here's hoping the future of the ITP continues to be promising and Gabe continues to be one of it's stars. :D :p :D
Thanks for the compliment! I know he's committed & giving it his best as many other players are. And he has wonderful support out there by so many people in the business and from many that love the game. Can't ask for much more than that.
I hope the IPT continues too, it does look promising for so many players. But of course there are still all of the other tournaments too that I know he is passionate about.
It's a very exciting time for pool!