Pool stuff you bought🤮, tried or used, and said never again.🤮

DieselPete

Anyone remember the Dos Equis finger bridge?

It looked like the red double X on the beer logo and you were supposed to grip it and run the cue through it like you would with the rake. This was probably in the late 1980s. I never owned one, but what a joke.

And...

How to Hustle and Not Get Hustled, with Jimmy Mataya. On VHS tape.

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those damned trick side-weighted cue balls that don't roll straight. Seems funny enough a prank but the only people that bite for more than one shot are the beginners. And beginners don't normally notice it at all when their ball rolls sideways, they expect to suck. So you can play an entire game yourself using the damned thing and they think you suck too!

A real player just thinks you're an asshole. :rolleyes:
I’ve had fun with mine, of course, only while beginners were on the table. I can make mine go all the way around the table without hitting a rail. One guy broke with it and while he was watching it he asked me if I was sure my table was level! 😂

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Anyone remember the Dos Equis finger bridge?

It looked like the red double X on the beer logo and you were supposed to grip it and run the cue through it like you would with the rake. This was probably in the late 1980s. I never owned one, but what a joke.

And...

How to Hustle and Not Get Hustled, with Jimmy Mataya. On VHS tape.
Are you talking about Secrets of Pool Hustling? 🤣

Maybe How to Hustle..etc etc is the actual name of that tape but there is a YouTube video called Secrets of Pool Hustling. Starring Pretty Boy Floyd - Shembugenwauk County champion and master of disguises - and it is the greatest thing I’ve ever seen hands down.

My daughter being born? Peanuts. Dave chapelle’s latest special? A few chuckles. Nude beaches and partying in the Bahamas? Who needs that when you’ve got this freakin tape?!

That Dos Equis bridge sounds very interesting. Not to actually use but is just love to see one and have it

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Schon cue. Most overpriced billiard tool I've ever bought.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Maybe How to Hustle..etc etc is the actual name of that tape but there is a YouTube video called Secrets of Pool Hustling. Starring Pretty Boy Floyd - Shembugenwauk County champion and master of disguises - and it is the greatest thing I’ve ever seen hands down.

My daughter being born? Peanuts. Dave chapelle’s latest special? A few chuckles. Nude beaches and partying in the Bahamas? Who needs that when you’ve got this freakin tape?!

That Dos Equis bridge sounds very interesting. Not to actually use but is just love to see one and have it
Pete the Painter is a bad dude...

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Two minutes of him running his mouth and I’d like to throat punch him.

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My personal top pick is this.🤮. Like the Swiss Army Knife of Pool accssories, does many things, but nothing well.🤪
Easy to ruin a ferrule with the sandpaper side too

Yes, all those $pendy chalks...just stick with master, make chalking part of your pre shot routine. (Guess I should include a confession here. Yes, I suckered for some of them.)
a management guy at a chalk company once told me "there's a sucker born every minute"

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surprised no one has mentioned that Limb Saver thing. Can't say I ever tried one but you sure don't see them on anyone's cue anymore, so I'm guessing it didn't do much.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
a management guy at a chalk company once told me "there's a sucker born every minute"

Well part of the reason something sell is marketing, ad campaigns, and advertising.

Remember the thing we sent away from from Kellogg’s in Battle Creek Michigan. TV ads want you to buy cereal for box tops. Tops =‘s got you wonderful stuff. That looked lather then life, and was disappointing.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Marketing is powerful as hell when done correctly. Predator got me right out the gate when I started playing pool.

I got a nice cue to be sure and I still love the thing but for $1,200 or so I probably could’ve gotten a monster cue (hehe) and a half or a couple equally awesome used cues. I had to have the predator throne though.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
You kidding thats all I carry. Never needed anything else since 1997.

I am dead serious, I found things better.

I think the ULTIMATE TOOL is like Swiss Army Knife does many things.

Nothing well, 🤮

1643676966632.jpeg

Last edited:

RingKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Swiss Army Knives also... got one with 8 screw driver bits use it all the time.

Come on one tool you can pick your teeth, pull out a splinter, write a message, start a fire, cut and screw anything clean and de-scale a fish.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I love Swiss Army Knives also... got one with 8 screw driver bits use it all the time.

Come on one tool you can pick your teeth, pull out a splinter, write a message, start a fire, cut and screw anything clean and de-scale a fish.

Does many thing just not well, try tooth Picks, or floss to clean teeth.

northdakotafats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a porper tip shaver or something like that when I first started playing. I don’t remember much about it other than messing up my ferrule lol.

A pool glove is the only optional accessory that I consider a necessity. Everyone needs chalk. Some hate on gloves but I live in MD where it’s humid most of the time. Once you get used to a glove it’s the only way to go. I want the least friction possible and if you have a wood shaft the glove covers the feel of most nicks and stuff like that.

I got stuck playing once in the summer without a glove and there was no powder anywhere to be found. I couldn’t draw the ball and even my open bridge was jerky and catching. It was a terrible match that led to me carrying around backup gloves and powder for like a year lol.
The porper tip shaper is actually awesome if used correctly. I haven't found anything better to fix a mushroomed tip by hand.