Pool teaching philosophy

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, there is no magic pill Neil. Never said there was one, and Ive never looked for one. Ive never needed one. Never said a pro cant be wrong either. Putting words in someones mouth and trying to make your points based on those fallacies is just foolish, and makes you look bad.
If anything we agree on most things, but you like to argue so much you cant help yourself.
Chuck

WOW! I'M putting words in your mouth??? If you think pros can't be wrong, then what in the world is your problem with people correcting pros??? The only other possibility is that you think being a pro is some kind of royalty and us mere peasants are not worthy of correcting them. And, I hate arguing. But, I hate misinformation even more.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW! I'M putting words in your mouth??? If you think pros can't be wrong, then what in the world is your problem with people correcting pros???
Because most of the people on here "correcting pros" do not have the credentials to do so Neil. Its armchair quarterback mentality, and a big reason why the pro players who come on here leave soon after. Too many know it alls who dont know wtf they are talking about.

The only other possibility is that you think being a pro is some kind of royalty and us mere peasants are not worthy of correcting them. And, I hate arguing. But, I hate misinformation even more.
Again putting words in my mouth or making assumptions about what I think or mean are nothing but fallacies. If you question what I mean, ask. ill try to explain it a different way. Past that you do in fact like to argue, whether it is what you believe to be misinformation or not.
Chuck

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I just experienced lessons in the last couple months from Geno, Scott and Lee. What a treat of fate!

I'm a fairly decent player, not great. anyway, having had back to back to back lessons - initially scattered my mind.

It's up to me to dissect what works for me. Nature, nurture - whatever. What works for you?

One says pendulum, one says drop, one says do the hokey pokey. What works for YOU? Drop the balls, it's more upstairs than down IMO.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Doesnt make it right based on what? What Robert Byrne says? What Jack Kohler says? What Scott Lee says? What major tournaments have those guys won? What world champions have they produced? Im not saying an instructor cant help a pro player tweak something here and there. The golf example seems to be the most thrown around on here with Tiger Woods and his coach. Outside eyes are most definitely beneficial to spot areas for improvement some times, nobody should disagree with that.
What Im driving at is a person playing well below pro speed contradicting a pro player based on textbook teachings needs to step back and reevaluate their own game and see what they are missing. Cause trust me, Byrnes Standard Book is not the stuff from which champions are made.
Chuck

You completely mixing things up here. 99% of the folks playing pool are NOT trying to become world champions... and yeah, if John thinks only pro's should teach, folks are gonna tell him he is wrong. He's a big boy, and does not seem insulted by it one bit.

My god, if that philosophy was true we would have to shut down 99% of the coaches, in most youth, HS and college sports, ya know, sports that actually take a great deal of athletic ability, and can actually provide a livable wage ;)

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because most of the people on here "correcting pros" do not have the credentials to do so Neil. Its armchair quarterback mentality, and a big reason why the pro players who come on here leave soon after. Too many know it alls who dont know wtf they are talking about.

Again putting words in my mouth or making assumptions about what I think or mean are nothing but fallacies. If you question what I mean, ask. ill try to explain it a different way. Past that you do in fact like to argue, whether it is what you believe to be misinformation or not.
Chuck

Where would I be without people like you to tell me what I do and don't actually like. And to think that all these years I hated arguing. Thanks for letting me know otherwise. Now I don't have to get upset over nonsense anymore.

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
I have a saying ...I can't play with you, you miss too much

To me the problem is too many people instructing and writing books making the game seem so complicated., It almost seems they want others to think how genius they are The game is not that hard to learn, it's rather fairly simple

As far as learning to play by watching and playing pros ( BULLCRAP)

You have a better shot at hitting the sun with a snowball.

Most people are too busy watching the ball go in the pocket, it's like watching tennis, their head moves like a bobblehead, just slower. They call their MAMA and tell her, I just saw Shane run 10 racks, and learned nothing but saw 100 balls drop in the pockets.

They have no clue what to look for or why, if you want to learn patterns from watching pros ( good luck with that )....everyone plays things differently.

Just listen to the so called greatest commentators who have pro experience, how many times they are wrong. Use your own brain

Playing pros or players who are much better does not help your arm and stroke get better, how can it? all it does is racks for him to break and run out.

MAMA Shane ran 10 racks on me,,,IT WAS A BLUR, I shot 3 times, I was safe all 3 times ....How does that work out for your stroke? What you learned was bring visine because the blur irritated your eyes

I am not saying to not play levels up, not too far up, if you do, learn what to look for, or else go play checkers.

You want to improve? Practice until your fingers bleed, take in as much info as you can, use some of it, throw some away, listen and learn.

There is no substitute for repetition, and it definitely helps if you are doing things the right way, or a better way, do what works for you. Anyone can learn to play at high levels with bad habits, why would you? if you can learn good habits, secrets, how to use repeatable motions, sighting, control all aspects of the 4 strokes, etc. etc.

You want to learn pool? Learn to control the cue ball, anywhere, anytime,

Play 3 cushion billiards, that will show you exactly how much you don't know about the cue ball.

Sorry, I just bored myself to death...haha

I like you! My words..

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You completely mixing things up here. 99% of the folks playing pool are NOT trying to become world champions... and yeah, if John thinks only pro's should teach, folks are gonna tell him he is wrong. He's a big boy, and does not seem insulted by it one bit.

My god, if that philosophy was true we would have to shut down 99% of the coaches, in most youth, HS and college sports, ya know, sports that actually take a great deal of athletic ability, and can actually provide a livable wage ;)

Where did I say anything about anyone becoming or trying to become a world champion?
Please cite where I said that only pros should teach.
Chuck

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where would I be without people like you to tell me what I do and don't actually like. And to think that all these years I hated arguing. Thanks for letting me know otherwise. Now I don't have to get upset over nonsense anymore.

Youre welcome! :thumbup:
Chuck

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Chuck

Deleted Post. Chuck feels uneasy about discussing qualifications when he was the one who brought them into question. I hope this helps a little...

Last edited:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure you gotta give me a spot. What's the half-way point to meet? Is there a poolhall in Evansville? :D

Really, I'm pretty sure I've given more lessons than most pro's, I'm pretty sure I've given more free lessons than most pro's. I'm pretty sure you won't see many pro's at the local senior center or the teenage center giving free lessons to help promote the sport we love.

I'm pretty sure you won't find them pushing the local community college to start a pool program, nor much else in terms of supporting the sport so it can grow, and maybe even let a few pro's make a living with their skills.

And what are the credentials you keep talking about...

Here are mine:

ACS Advanced Instructor
House Pro 8 years
Staff Instructor CUE U (largest training school in the world)
Cashed in the 2014 IL ACS Open 9b and 8b events (so I can hold a cue)
Started one of the largest in-house leagues in the Chicago area.

Trained with 3 BCA Master Instructors,
and to become even more proficient in teaching, took lessons from the following folks;

Earl Strickland
Nick Varner
Buddy Hall
Stan Shuffet
Freddy The Beard
Gene Albrecht

Soon to meet up with Mark Wilson and hopefully pick his brain about tips on starting a college billiards team.

So, in essence, you really don't have the credentials to come on here talking to us about this matter, now do you ?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really, I'm pretty sure I've given more lessons than most pro's, I'm pretty sure I've given more free lessons than most pro's. I'm pretty sure you won't see many pro's at the local senior center or the teenage center giving free lessons to help promote the sport we love.

I'm pretty sure you won't find them pushing the local community college to start a pool program, nor much else in terms of supporting the sport so it can grow, and maybe even let a few pro's make a living with their skills.

And what are the credentials you keep talking about...

Here are mine:

ACS Advanced Instructor
House Pro 8 years
Staff Instructor CUE U (largest training school in the world)
Cashed in the 2014 IL ACS Open 9b and 8b events (so I can hold a cue)
Started one of the largest in-house leagues in the Chicago area.

Trained with 3 BCA Master Instructors,
and to become even more proficient in teaching, took lessons from the following folks;

Earl Strickland
Nick Varner
Buddy Hall
Stan Shuffet
Freddy The Beard
Gene Albrecht

Soon to meet up with Mark Wilson and hopefully pick his brain about tips on starting a college billiards team.

So, in essence, you really don't have the credentials to come on here talking to us about this matter, now do you ?
LOL
So let me get this straight, I make some posts about B players trying to tell pro players that they are wrong, and Im not just talking about this thread for the record. And you feel the need to list your accomplishments and try to put me down?
Im not a pro player. Im not an instructor. Never made any claims of the sort.
I am however a lifelong player and an eight year member of this forum who is pointing out what I feel to be a problem ON THIS FORUM. But too many people on here like to argue especially with the pro players and sometimes I get sick of listening to it and I say something. Its not a hard concept to grasp, and there are many who share the same opinion, but just dont "voice" it on the forum.
Chuck

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
If you really want to know, after the basics, it's 90% mental. And yes, there is a "pro secret" that is a magic pill. It's called aderall (sp?) Not all use it, but you would be amazed at just how many do use it. And how different their game is when they don't use it.

!!!!!! Be careful telling things about psychotropic medicin!! I strongly advise against using this or similar stimulant substances. !!!!!!

Copied from here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

"Adderall is a psychostimulant pharmaceutical drug of the phenethylamine class used in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy. Adderall is also used as a performance and cognitive enhancer, and recreationally as an aphrodisiac and euphoriant. The medication is a mixture of amphetamine stereoisomer salts and inactive ingredients. By salt content, the active ingredients are 75% dextroamphetamine salts (the dextrorotary or "right-handed" enantiomer) and 25% levoamphetamine salts (the levorotary or "left-handed" enantiomer).

Adderall works by increasing activity of certain neurotransmitters in the brain, namely norepinephrine and dopamine, which results from its interactions with trace amine associated receptor 1 (TAAR1) and vesicular monoamine transporter 2 (VMAT2). Adderall shares many chemical and pharmacological properties with the human trace amine neurotransmiters, especially phenethylamine and N-methylphenethylamine, the latter being an isomer of amphetamine that is produced within the human body.

Adderall is generally well-tolerated and effective in treating the symptoms of ADHD. The most common side effects are cardiovascular, such as irregular heartbeat (usually as a fast heartbeat), and psychological, such as euphoria or anxiety. Much larger doses of Adderall are likely to impair cognitive function and induce rapid muscle breakdown. Substance dependence (i.e., addiction) is a serious risk of Adderall abuse, but only rarely arises from medical use. Very high doses can result in a psychosis (e.g., delusions and paranoia) which rarely occurs at therapeutic doses even during long-term use. Recreational doses are generally much larger than prescribed therapeutic doses, and carry a far greater risk of serious side effects."

Poor guys that use this or similar drugs to try playing pool better! But may explain some of the crazy - or cal lit stupid - answers and opinions that some share."

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
=Chuck Fields;4797803 But too many people on here like to argue especially with the pro players and sometimes I get sick of listening to it and I say something. Its not a hard concept to grasp, and there are many who share the same opinion, but just dont "voice" it on the forum.
Chuck

I'd have to agree with this. Every sport has its hecklers and AZB has some of the best! :grin: Pros aren't the answer to everything concerning pool, but I'm sure the majority here would rather read their posts than ours. sFi_flamethrowing.gif

Best,
Mike

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
LOL
So let me get this straight, I make some posts about B players trying to tell pro players that they are wrong, and Im not just talking about this thread for the record. And you feel the need to list your accomplishments and try to put me down?
Im not a pro player. Im not an instructor. Never made any claims of the sort.
I am however a lifelong player and an eight year member of this forum who is pointing out what I feel to be a problem ON THIS FORUM. But too many people on here like to argue especially with the pro players and sometimes I get sick of listening to it and I say something. Its not a hard concept to grasp, and there are many who share the same opinion, but just dont "voice" it on the forum.
Chuck

LOL. Let me get this straight. You ASSUMED everyone on here was a B player and NOBODY had the credentials to have an open and honest discussion on the.....wait for it.... an internet forum.

And after you tried to belittle Neil and others that dared to offer a different opinion to a pro, you advised they lacked the credentials. Then, I demonstrate maybe, just maybe some of us might know more than you think cause, ya know, you don't know us. You are the one who said we don't have the credentials to correct/disagree with the pro's, and then when such credentials are provided, you scoff as if I'm only doing it to show you up ?????

You advised that "we" don't have the right to dare question someone who had the credentials... I'm just turning the tables and saying the same thing, you don't have the credentials to question me...

Doesn't that sound kinda silly, just a little? that we have to pull out resumes to determine who can have an opinion and who cannot have one.

This forum is NOT built around pro's, and if they wanna share info without being insulting, then have at it. But nothing in my posts were insulting to John in the least. Heck, I still got his autograph when I was at DCC a few years ago, and seems' like a nice guy. but if he's gonna say something out of line, he should expect a little push back.

This is just a "hobby" for me. I have a full-time job, a wife and a son that plays multiple sports. The money I make teaching is not enough to make even one car payment, .... and all money earned from teaching goes right back into paying others for instruction to get better, it goes to tourney entrance fees (many of which are purely donations because I have no chance to win), and it goes to buying pool related supplies, videos, books, even buying autographed pool memorabilia for my basement pool room...... so if pro's want us to stop promoting/teaching this sport so it can die a little faster, just say the word, I'm sure I can find other things to work on in my spare time :)

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL. Let me get this straight. You ASSUMED everyone on here was a B player and NOBODY had the credentials to have an open and honest discussion on the.....wait for it.... an internet forum.

And after you tried to belittle Neil and others that dared to offer a different opinion to a pro, you advised they lacked the credentials. Then, I demonstrate maybe, just maybe some of us might know more than you think cause, ya know, you don't know us. And you think this my way of "putting you down"...no, more of my way of making you eat your words.

You advised that "we" don't have the right to dare question someone who had the credentials... I'm just turning the tables and saying the same thing, you don't have the credentials to question me...

Doesn't that sound kinda silly, just a little? then we have to pull out resumes to determine who can have an opinion and who cannot have one.

This forum is NOT built around pro's, and if they wanna share info without being insulting, then have at it. But nothing in my posts were insulting to John in the least. Heck, I still got his autograph when I was at DCC a few years ago, and seems' like a nice guy. but if he's gonna say something out of line, he should expect a little push back. This is POOL, not brain surgery.

I assumed nothing about peoples skill levels. Im referring to people who have openly disclosed their skill level.
I never said NOBODY had the credentials.
I did not try to belittle Neil. Look at the majority of his posts and tell me that a reasonable person would not consider them argumentative.
I never questioned you, I voiced my opinion on B level players correcting pro players.
And yes trying to make someone "eat their words" is putting them down.
How much more can you fabricate me saying and argue against it?

RJ, Ill say it like this. You are arguing with me for no reason that I can think of other than assumptions you have made of what Im talking about, which are wrong by the way and braggadocio on your part.
Im done here, so have fun with your oneupsmanship.
Chuck

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I assumed nothing about peoples skill levels. Im referring to people who have openly disclosed their skill level.
I never said NOBODY had the credentials.
I did not try to belittle Neil. Look at the majority of his posts and tell me that a reasonable person would not consider them argumentative.
I never questioned you, I voiced my opinion on B level players correcting pro players.
And yes trying to make someone "eat their words" is putting them down.
How much more can you fabricate me saying and argue against it?

RJ, Ill say it like this. You are arguing with me for no reason that I can think of other than assumptions you have made of what Im talking about, which are wrong by the way and braggadocio on your part.
Im done here, so have fun with your oneupsmanship.
Chuck

well, actually, there were no assumptions, this is what you said:

You made the comments about folks not knowing what the "F" they are talking about... so if my answers frighten you, just stop asking scary questions.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well, actually, there were no assumptions, this is what you said:

You made the comments about folks not knowing what the "F" they are talking about... so if my answers frighten you, just stop asking scary questions.

LOL
At least you know what they call a quarter pounder in Paris.
Chuck