Practice table size 9’ or 10’

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 2 cents...and that's about all it worth, but here it goes....

Looking to get better is your goal? Buying a bigger table isn't going to do it. Why don't you just buy a good used diamond or a gold crown for three or four thousand dollars.

Then take the other approximately $4,000 and go see a good instructor. You'll be 1000% farther ahead then just playing on a 10 ft by yourself.

Dwalk70

Looking to get better is your goal? Buying a bigger table isn't going to do it. Why don't you just buy a good used diamond or a gold crown for three or four thousand dollars.

Then take the other approximately $4,000 and go see a good instructor. You'll be 1000% farther ahead then just playing on a 10 ft by yourself.
9'....
Keep in mind, when it's time to move or sell that Ten Footer, who's gonna want it?
If your getting the ten footer for Free then that might change matters.
Good point.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

I disagree on this.
I'd much rather own a 9' and play on bar tables, than own a bar table and then play on the big tables....Period.
Bigger tables expose players flaws, which in turn makes one work on those weak spots and improve quicker.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree on this.
I'd much rather own a 9' and play on bar tables, than own a bar table and then play on the big tables....Period.
Bigger tables expose players flaws, which in turn makes one work on those weak spots and improve quicker.
Who said bar tables? That's not even part of this discussion. I was talking about any advantages a 10-foot table has over a 9-foot table. The advantage would go to the man that plays on a 9-foot table and pays to take professional instruction, don't you think?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IF playing on a 10ft'r was the 'yellow brick road' to success on a 9ft'r then every top player would either own one or have a place to go that had one. Well, they don't. Top big-table players play on 4.5x9's. Only time they compete on one is at DCC once a year. They practice on the equipment they see in day-to-day competition.

Dwalk70

Long time. I’m 41. Had some long breaks but I use to walk 5 to 6 miles to pool hall in Fayetteville Ga as a young boy. The classic cue. I think it’s still their. It was a family pool hall. No alcohol. I eventually was allowed to play some very good players and tournaments when the owner opened another very big billiard hall that did sell alcohol. My parents had hired a instructor for me to go to the next level but had a family tragedy and had to move to a place when I was 13 that only had bar pool halls where I wasn’t old enough to get in. Got into high school then college and was interested in doing other things other than play pool when I did get of age.
Recently a family pool hall opened where I live and sparked my interest again as I had no interest in playing in bars.
That’s been 6 months ago.

Dwalk70

I think I still have an article or two made of me playing pool in Ga
I am an accountant so liking math I’ve really enjoyed playing again. The pool hall that opened up may not be open too much longer. Pool is just not a main stream sport. That’s why im getting a table. I have a 9’ diamond on order but im seriously considering the 10’.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will go against the grain. Here is my opinion:

1) Practicing on a bigger table will NOT make you a better player. It will make zero difference
2) Practicing on smaller pockets will NOT make you a better player. It will make zero difference.
3) Practicing on tougher equipment IS harder, for sure. But making something harder does not translate to making you better at it. You will simply miss a bunch more balls. You are not magically going to improve your stroke, hand eye coordination, thinking, nerves, desire, etc, on tougher equipment.
4) The patterns on 6 foot bar boxes and 10' tables, and everything in between, are the same. The easier equipment allows you to get away with some poorly hit shots, and poorly planned position routes. But you can, and should, plan for proper routes on all size tables.
5) The main difference on a 10' table is you might have to play position differently to reach shots if you are not super tall.
6) The speed control between different sizes takes about 2 shots to get perfect.
7) Before you even consider a Diamond, you better play on one in your locale with 2 year old cloth. Make sure you still like it before you commit to a new one. Their rail reaction is unlike any other table, ESPECIALLY when the cloth is worn.

Of course practicing on tighter pockets will make you better, you need to be more accurate to make the balls, which helps hugely with everything since the need for more accuracy means the mechanics and aiming needs to be solid or you will miss, even the stroke will smooth out due to needing the ball to go in with a smooth hit. It also will help with position play in order to avoid having harder shots that miss on the tight table you will develop the knowledge to play good position to obtain the right angle and distance to the ball to make the shot easier.

It's not like someone will get tighter pockets and 4 hours later they jump up a level, it will take weeks of practice. I spent 2 weeks on a work trip playing on pockets just a bit over 4", when I got back home to play on 4.5 and larger pockets I was amazed at how well the balls were going in and how better my position was without using much force to move around the table. Of course a few weeks later I got back to my lazy shooting again on the larger pockets and there went that skill bump LOL

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course practicing on tighter pockets will make you better, you need to be more accurate to make the balls, which helps hugely with everything since the need for more accuracy means the mechanics and aiming needs to be solid or you will miss. It also will help with position play in order to avoid having harder shots that miss on the tight table you will develop the knowledge to play good position to obtain the right angle and distance to the ball to make the shot easier.

It's not like someone will get tighter pockets and 4 hours later they jump up a level, it will take weeks of practice. I spent 2 weeks on a work trip playing on pockets just a bit over 4", when I got back home to play on 4.5 and larger pockets I was amazed at how well the balls were going in and how better my position was without using much force to move around the table. Of course a few weeks later I got back to my lazy shooting again on the larger pockets and there went that skill bump LOL
I'll agree to disagree. If one is laser focused, they can play to an exact part of a pocket, within 1 mm accuracy. It doesn't matter what size pockets they are. You probably played better for that short stretch because you were more focused.

Then there is the question, did you actually improve, or just played you absolute best for a couple hours on your home table after 2 weeks of hyper focus?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am more concerned with the table being an Olhausen than it's size. I don't know how the brand plays these days, don't remember how the few I played on long ago played either.

There are two schools of thought about a practice table. One is practice on what you are going to compete on, one is practice on a tougher table. Both lines of thought have value. If you do get something much different to practice on than what you compete on you will have to play the "regular" tables frequently to keep the feel for them too. Playing all the time on a different table will change your game over time. Things like deciding whether to shoot or play safe will change as will pattern play. Playing a too safe game competing with someone isn't good.

I practiced for two or three hours daily on a snooker table to gamble on nine feet or seven feet tables. I generally practiced on the snooker table every day and gambled every night so adjustments were easy.

Here is a story that I think applies. I let a local hustler stay with me for awhile. About three days into his visit I was really missing my snooker table play, I loved it. I reluctantly took him to the snooker table. Even with coaching the first forty-five minutes or so were pretty brutal. Then he started making a few balls. After a couple hours we went to a place with seven feet tables and action easy to come by, cheap action anyway. He hit the very first ball then looked over at me and grinned. I just said "Yeah!" The first few hours or so shooting on a bar table after shooting on a snooker table seems like shooting at #3 wash tubs.

I would jump on a quality ten footer if I had the room for it and coin to buy it. That doesn't make it a good choice for someone else. A big part of buying a ten footer is the pure pleasure I get out of playing on one. Someone else may not feel the same way especially if they combine the ten foot table with tight pockets. A table that you won't spend time on won't help your game. Any table you spend time on will help. When I was fifteen I bought one of the cheap sears and roebuck tables, used. I paid the same thing for a top quality set of balls that I did for the table. I hit a ton of balls on that table and my game got better on all tables even though that was an eight footer with bucket pockets. A pool table is gonna tie up a lot of space for a long time and if you buy new or near new it will probably go at a big loss when you sell it. Be sure to buy what you really want.

Hu

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Who said bar tables? That's not even part of this discussion. I was talking about any advantages a 10-foot table has over a 9-foot table. The advantage would go to the man that plays on a 9-foot table and pays to take professional instruction, don't you think?
Me, because you threw in a 10' and were talking a nine footer, so I thought what could it hurt to let others know and toss in the 7' and why owning a full size table is and ADVANTAGE was all.

If I upset you, then I'm sorry.

But I think different, and you do too.

Rereading my thread, this is what I was trying to say, but unable to word it perfectly the first time. But that's me.

I'd much rather own a 9' or 10' and play on bar tables, than own a bar table and then play on the big tables....Period

Very few players that I know of, that play allot don't play on bar tables now a days.

I grew up on big tables.

Sidebar to help others that don't know...

The pro cut diamond 7' is thee best bar box, for 8 ball.
Because it has the right amount of congestion, and the pockets are Small, and it's very difficult to run out easily.

Ten footer slates can be Very heavy, and when it comes time to sell, Very few people are looking for that size.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me, because you threw in a 10' and were talking a nine footer, so I thought what could it hurt to let others know and toss in the 7' and why owning a full size table is and ADVANTAGE was all.

If I upset you, then I'm sorry.

But I think different, and you do too.

Rereading my thread, this is what I was trying to say, but unable to word it perfectly the first time. But that's me.

I'd much rather own a 9' or 10' and play on bar tables, than own a bar table and then play on the big tables....Period

Very few players that I know of, that play allot don't play on bar tables now a days.

I grew up on big tables.

Sidebar to help others that don't know...

The pro cut diamond 7' is thee best bar box, for 8 ball.
Because it has the right amount of congestion, and the pockets are Small, and it's very difficult to run out easily.

Ten footer slates can be Very heavy, and when it comes time to sell, Very few people are looking for that size.
I wasnt upset about anything. I agree with much of what you said. But I'm not the one that brought up 10 foot tables. That was the OP.

Let me submit a question to you...
Let's say you and I are of equal skill level. We both like playing on a 9 foot table (which we do). Now you obtain a 10 foot table, and I stick with the 9 foot and take professional instruction. Now let's add what I posted earlier....

I said... "The advantage would go to the man that plays on a 9-foot table and pays to take professional instruction".

Dont you agree that statement?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with those who said practice on what you play on. A 10 ft. Is going to create a whole different position play challenge that has to be accounted for, especially if you are like me, and on the short side.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He’s right about diamonds. The rails are aweful. Extremely inconsistent. Most people know that if you’ve played on diamonds a lot. I have played on one a significant amount of time over the last 6 months. I have actually grown to not like them all that much.

You wrote this but you have a Diamond 9' on order? Why?