Pre Flag Masters Chalk - Is it better ?

iowa_player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats your opinion ?
I heard somewhere that the pre flag master chalk is suppose to be better for some reason . One of the members here on AZB even has a picture of two worn out pre flag masters chalk for their avatar .

I just went through an old stash of chalk and found 12 pieces of this pre flag chalk and think im going to give it a try .

I just looked and the members name is TX Poolnut and his title under his name is ( pre flag masters chalk ) you can see his avatar here > http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=4700

Thanks for your opinions !

Larry

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its the best butter there is PERIOD!!!, I use it everyday, I have both on my box right now and it is hands down better.

I want to send some to a lab for analysis and see whats really going on,

Anyone please PM me if you have any for sale.

Nitrox11

Just south of reality
iowa_player said:
Whats your opinion ?
I heard somewhere that the pre flag master chalk is suppose to be better for some reason . One of the members here on AZB even has a picture of two worn out pre flag masters chalk for their avatar .

I just went through an old stash of chalk and found 12 pieces of this pre flag chalk and think im going to give it a try .

I just looked and the members name is TX Poolnut and his title under his name is ( pre flag masters chalk ) you can see his avatar here > http://forums.azbilliards.com/member.php?u=4700

Larry

Would be interesting to know what the difference is between the pre-flag and the current master chalk. I stopped using Master chalk and went to SilverCup.

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that the older chalk had a lead of some type in it.
If you use alot of it, I guess you might be able to raise your lead level.
I have not heard of pool players getting lead poisoning, but I thought the formula was changed to take the lead compound out of it.

If I am wrong, please let me know.
Neil

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I've let some players use it to compare it with their expensive "3 for $10" special deal chalk and the Flag Masters.

All of the players that used the pre-flag chalk say they liked the 'grab' factor (got more spin) than the newer chalk had.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
conetip said:
I believe that the older chalk had a lead of some type in it.
If you use alot of it, I guess you might be able to raise your lead level.
I have not heard of pool players getting lead poisoning, but I thought the formula was changed to take the lead compound out of it.

If I am wrong, please let me know.
Neil

With some player's bad habit of not washing their hands, you would think that if chalk contained lead, it would easily find a way into the player's body.
JoeyA

td873

C is for Cookie
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
Its the best butter there is PERIOD!!!, I use it everyday, I have both on my box right now and it is hands down better.

I want to send some to a lab for analysis and see whats really going on,

Anyone please PM me if you have any for sale.
lol. I gave away 10 pieces of the good stuff this Xmas (to AZ members only). I can't believe you didn't get in on it. I have a case of it (well most of it now). But, none for sale...

Here's the link to my Xmas cheer ;) http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=123639

-td

td873

C is for Cookie
Gold Member
Silver Member
td873 said:
lol. I gave away 10 pieces of the good stuff this Xmas (to AZ members only). I can't believe you didn't get in on it. I have a case of it (well most of it now). But, none for sale...

Here's the link to my Xmas cheer ;) http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=123639

-td

Also, here is a link to a thread on this a few years ago. Fred had some insight into the lead content and the flag issues.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=26880

Short answer: lead is gone due to EPA restrictions on lead in pigments.
Flag was added after 9/11 - but is unrelated to lead.

Unfortunately, the "Answer" thread at CCB is a dead link :(

-td

Last edited:

stikapos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether this makes any sense or not, I don't know. Now I only use the stuff with the flag on it and I've not had any problems. Alll of my old stuff without the flag gives me major problems.

tim

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
I have told people the flag chalk was to powdery for years. I still have some of the pre-flag chalk that I've been using. I bought some of the NIR and Blue Diamond and they feel like the same grit. If I remember correctly a friend that owned a room told me that about 1998/99 that the pre-flag contained lead and was told sent it back to Masters and they sent him the new flag chalk.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
It's simple: Pre-flag Masters chalk contains lead.

IT IS THE GOOOOOD STUFF!
I still have about 2 gross of it. Love it. Yes, there's a big difference.

By removing the lead, they had to change the overall formula. The new & improved non-leaded composition is a little more powdery, and doesn't grab quite as well.

Masters is still great chalk, but the old stuff with the deadly lead is the nuts!

-von

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
$h!t Joey, anyone who know s me.......

JoeyA said:
With some player's bad habit of not washing their hands, you would think that if chalk contained lead, it would easily find a way into the player's body.
JoeyA

Joey anyone who knows me, knows that if chalk had lead in it and it could really get in the bloodstream I'd have been dead years ago.....

:rolleyes: :( :confused: :wink:

Jaden

Last edited:

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
iowa_player said:
Whats your opinion ?

Larry

Triangle and Blue Diamond preferred.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used both the flag and pre flag Masters.

Recently gave the Longoni Blue Diamond a try and I abso'fricken'lutely love it..!!!!!!!

Won't be using anything else from now on.

Anyone know where to get it on the cheap?????

Russ.......

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jaden said:
Joey anyone who knows me, knows that if chalk had lead in it and it could really get in the bloodstream I'd have been dead years ago.....

:rolleyes: :( :confused: :wink:

Jaden

My beefs not with you lunger.

Why ....Johnny Ringo, thats not true. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember??

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
There is no difference.

I have purchased nearly one million pieces of chalk from Tweeten. Triangle and Master chalk are EXACTLY the same with a different wrapper. Triangle as a brand was created for the British market.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread made me think to check my stash.

Here's what I got:

1 - Mostly used Pre-Flag gross - about 25 pieces left.
2 - Brand new unopened gross of Pre-Flag Masters.
3 - Almost full gross of Brunswick chalk.

Anyone know what a brand new unopened gross of Pre-Flag Masters is worth???

DSC01350.jpg

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolhustler said:
This thread made me think to check my stash.

Here's what I got:

1 - Mostly used Pre-Flag gross - about 25 pieces left.
2 - Brand new unopened gross of Pre-Flag Masters.
3 - Almost full gross of Brunswick chalk.

Anyone know what a brand new unopened gross of Pre-Flag Masters is worth???

DSC01350.jpg

Call me and we will work something out.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
Call me and we will work something out.

Hey buddy,

Not really interested in selling any of the chalk. If you are running low I will gladly give you the open box (24 pieces).

Russ.......