Predator Pool Table

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A shallow shelf makes the pockets play bigger.

yes, there was a photo from one of the players showing two balls and how they related to the pocket mouth, 4.25" seems correct but the issue of course was shallowness of the shelf.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Table is very easy and pockets seem bigger then 4.5” . My friend played on the table and said it is much easier then a diamond pro cut and the equipment is way to easy for top players. He played in the WPC Daniel… He said it gave many players a chance against the top pro on predator table and that is why the final eight had several weaker players. Hopefully Predator can make the table more of a challenge since they have a deal with matchroom now…
Unfortunately if indeed the easier table gives underdogs a better shot then i guess we might expect Matchroom to prefer this set up for further events.

The top few winning is cool, but everyone likes an underdog story. Unless you're a fan of SVB I suppose...lol

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unfortunately if indeed the easier table gives underdogs a better shot then i guess we might expect Matchroom to prefer this set up for further events.

The top few winning is cool, but everyone likes an underdog story. Unless you're a fav of SVB I suppose...lol
I think the changing of the rack had a bigger impact on the outcome vs the table. I understand why they do it and the players are aware but I think they should select a rack and stick with it for the entire event.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup. Would love to see how it rates against other tables when you use this to really see how tough a table plays… I use this and Diamond always above 1.0…. Curious to see what predator tables come out with shelf depth etc… Table Difficulty Factor or TDF does work pretty good… https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/table/tdf/
Yes, I'm familiar with that. My Gold Crown I ranks 1.12 TDF which I think is the prefect setup for top level professional competition.

Corner Pocket Mouth: 4.125"
Corner Pocket Angle: 141*
Corner Pocket Shelf Depth: 1.125"
Side Pocket Mouth: 4.875"
Side Pocket Angle: 102*
Pocket Down Angle: 15*

This setup plays tight but fair. A top ranked professional should have no problems running balls consistently.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table is very easy and pockets seem bigger then 4.5” . My friend played on the table and said it is much easier then a diamond pro cut and the equipment is way to easy for top players. He played in the WPC Daniel… He said it gave many players a chance against the top pro on predator table and that is why the final eight had several weaker players. Hopefully Predator can make the table more of a challenge since they have a deal with matchroom now…
I'm not so sure they want to make the table more challenging. I'll bet you dollars to a dog turd that Match Room and Predator discussed this well beforehand. Like mentioned a little earlier on this page, I think they like the Underdog Story. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this is what they had intended all along.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not so sure they want to make the table more challenging. I'll bet you dollars to a dog turd that match room and Predator discuss this well beforehand. Like mentioned a little earlier on this page, I think they like the Underdog Story. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this is what they had intended all along.
Gimme a break. The tables didn't determine the winner. Awful lot of guessing going on here about the how/who/what/why of this table. Do you really think that MR/Pred. designed the table to help an underdog win?? Whatever man. Might want to check the fit of your tin-foil hat.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gimme a break. The tables didn't determine the winner. Awful lot of guessing going on here about the how/who/what/why of this table. Do you really think that MR/Pred. designed the table to help an underdog win?? Whatever man. Might want to check the fit of your tin-foil hat.
Then why else would they purposely design a table with shallow shelves to make the table play easier? You're not going to sit there and try to tell me that they didn't know that shallow shelves make tables play easier, when all other factors are equal? I really don't think you're that naive. I'm not a huge fan of Predator, even though I do own a predator pool cue, but rest assured Predator doesn't hire subpar designers.

Of course I don't know this to be fact...... it's just discussion. But it still would not surprise me.

I'm all in with one of the previous posters that said something about doing a dr. Dave table difficulty Factor on it. It'd be an interesting number to know.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I'm familiar with that. My Gold Crown I ranks 1.12 TDF which I think is the prefect setup for top level professional competition.

Corner Pocket Mouth: 4.125"
Corner Pocket Angle: 141*
Corner Pocket Shelf Depth: 1.125"
Side Pocket Mouth: 4.875"
Side Pocket Angle: 102*
Pocket Down Angle: 15*

This setup plays tight but fair. A top ranked professional should have no problems running balls consistently.
We have one table here pretty much the same as your specs with the exception of the corner pocket angles being 143-144 degrees, which makes it play brutally unforgiving. Next time we change out the cloth, we will be softening / altering that pocket facing angle to 140-141 degrees.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Then why else would they purposely design a table with shallow shelves to make the table play easier? You're not going to sit there and try to tell me that they didn't know that shallow shelves make tables play easier, when all other factors are equal? I really don't think you're that naive. I'm not a huge fan of Predator, even though I do own a predator pool cue, but rest assured Predator doesn't hire subpar designers.

Of course I don't know this to be fact...... it's just discussion. But it still would not surprise me.

I'm all in with one of the previous posters that said something about doing a dr. Dave table difficulty Factor on it. It'd be an interesting number to know.
Having influence over the cosmetic look of the table has nothing to do with the DNA of the build of the table, that belongs to the manufacturer, and therefore so does its playability!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having influence over the cosmetic look of the table has nothing to do with the DNA of the build of the table, that belongs to the manufacturer, and therefore so does its playability!
Unless you were part of the conversations between Predator and Sam, there would be no way to know that at this stage. There is literally a few overhead pictures of the table available now for public consumption and not much more.

If you have the table in your hands and disassemled it and carefully inspected the parts, yes you can make that determination. Or if you have engineering drawings and specifications of the individual parts and the sub assemblies of the table, yes you can make that determination.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Unless you were part of the conversations between Predator and Sam, there would be no way to know that at this stage. There is literally a few overhead pictures of the table available now for public consumption and not much more.

If you have the table in your hands and disassemled it and carefully inspected the parts, yes you can make that determination. Or if you have engineering drawings and specifications of the individual parts and the sub assemblies of the table, yes you can make that determination.
Just because you put spot remover on a leopards spots, that don't change it from being a leopard😅

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just because you put spot remover on a leopards spots, that don't change it from being a leopard😅
If you, RKC, approached a manufacturer, with detailed plans in hand, would you expect them to build those plans to the letter? Or just give you what you want cosmetically?

You could be right. It could be just a Sam table wearing a predator mask. But I think it will turn out to be more than that. It would be interesting to hear from you if you ever get a chance to take one apart.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If you, RKC, approached a manufacturer, with detailed plans in hand, would you expect them to build those plans to the letter? Or just give you what you want cosmetically?

You could be right. It could be just a Sam table wearing a predator mask. But I think it will turn out to be more than that. It would be interesting to hear from you if you ever get a chance to take one apart.
You guys seriously overestimate this industry.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys seriously overestimate this industry.
But we know you very well. If they didnt, or couldn't make that table to your specifications, you would skate the hell outta there and find another company, or start one yourself. Isnt that how Diamond Billiards came to be?

It's all about compromises. If you settle, it's on you.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
But we know you very well. If they didnt, or couldn't make that table to your specifications, you would skate the hell outta there and find another company, or start one yourself. Isnt that how Diamond Billiards came to be?

It's all about compromises. If you settle, it's on you.
Diamonds complaints about cushions can be solved, then what would anyone have to complain about?

TrxR

I predict they are going to sell a bunch of these. Basically a updated SAM KSteel.
The question is , is that a good thing ? Are they going to be good tables? We're the SAM Ksteel tables any good?

I see they are listed with 4.5" pockets, I wonder if other sizes are available?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question is , is that a good thing ? Are they going to be good tables? We're the SAM Ksteel tables any good?

I see they are listed with 4.5" pockets, I wonder if other sizes are available?
Some really liked them. Buddy played on them in Atlanta and he liked them. Been around for years. I doubt they offer other pocket sizes. 4.5 is a good tough but not stupid size.