Pro match commentators

korey

Registered
Even if you once played the game at a HOF caliber is no excuse to mispronounce players names. You are asked to perform a task, and if unable or unprepared maybe decline. I would thourghly enjoy hearing more details about the shooters. Prolly not a bad idea to give their sponsors a shout out.

terpdad

Registered
More context, please. What/who would you cite as examples of this? I agree w/ you in general, but I would also offer that:

1) pool announcers don't grow on trees. There aren't as many qualified announcers out there as there are for other sports AND it's not like they make the same money as the guys in the booth for Monday Night Football; and
2) some announcers, like Karl Boyes, seem to have been chosen because of their casual approach. I think Karl's winging it is probably encouraged to make the commentary more loose & approachable to occasional and new viewers.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nineteen out of every twenty pool commentators are terrible, but pool commentary is not a profession for many and most of those who do commentary are doing the event producers a favor by getting in the booth in the first place. Hence, when you get one of those who actually has a flair for it and possesses good communication skills such as Alex Lely, Karl Boyes, Imran Majid, Billy Incardona, Jeremy Jones or Mark Wilson, count yourself lucky.

Yes, poor preparation and mistakes galore are major issues in pool commentary, but keep your expectations in check for anything but the premier events and you won't be too disappointed and don't forget, there's always the mute button.

middleofnowhere

Registered
A hall of fame top player once introduced Mosconi as Marsconi on ESPN.
Your talking about Hopkins. He mispronounces lots of words anyway, it's the way he speaks. It always cracks me up when he can't seem to pronounce snookered. He always says Schnookered.
Allen trying to say Mosconi is going to stick a CH in there somewhere.

Last edited:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geez if today's commentators bother you, you should have been there about 12-15 years ago when streaming first started making it's presence known. It was people just talking to the chat room while ignoring everything else.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Commentary requires two things. A professional speaker and a technical person on the game. Two pool players doing commentary can be terrible and if they begin to think they are the show it goes down hill from there.

I watched a match the other day from a very old tape and Buddy Hall was doing the commentary. He had no idea what he was doing but he was good. His folksy manner was very listenable. He always knew the score and gave accurate assessments.

He also didn't seem to act like he had to talk nonstop. He actually said "Let's be quiet here for a minute and watch the action".

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
go easy on us NE (northeast or New England) accented folks.

I know a fella who calls Mika 'Meeker' lol

I'll bet you know him too...

korey

Registered
I am just saying, at the very least, prior to getting behind the mic certain simple facts should be known: where they're from, past accomplishments, previous wins that tour and sponsors. "I don't know anything about him/her." should never be said.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Some people names are just thought to get right, if a person is that sensitive to the correct pronouncing thing they have too much free time.

Even if the Check is close to right, just deposit it, and say your happy the check was good.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I am just saying, at the very least, prior to getting behind the mic certain simple facts should be known: where they're from, past accomplishments, previous wins that tour and sponsors. "I don't know anything about him/her." should never be said.
I don't know what their job description probably is, but it seems mostly they're selected just to give technical commentary on the play. They need a second person who is actually the color commentator and knows all the facts.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nineteen out of every twenty pool commentators are terrible, but pool commentary is not a profession for many and most of those who do commentary are doing the event producers a favor by getting in the booth in the first place. Hence, when you get one of those who actually has a flair for it and possesses good communication skills such as Alex Lely, Karl Boyes, Imran Majid, Billy Incardona, Jeremy Jones or Mark Wilson, count yourself lucky.

Yes, poor preparation and mistakes galore are major issues in pool commentary, but keep your expectations in check for anything but the premier events and you won't be too disappointed and don't forget, there's always the mute button.
Yep, agreed. A well commentated match is a treat to watch. I can't watch a match with the mute button pressed. You lose all of the sounds that go with it. Such as the cue tip hitting the cue ball, cue ball hitting object balls, object ball hitting the back of the pocket. I just can't watch a match without any sound.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Even if you once played the game at a HOF caliber is no excuse to mispronounce players names. You are asked to perform a task, and if unable or unprepared maybe decline. I would thourghly enjoy hearing more details about the shooters. Prolly not a bad idea to give their sponsors a shout out.

I have always thought Jennie (Jam) should write book on commentating. Its one of those areas that needs attention.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I just watched that match between Cornelius Deuel and Shannon the cannon, posted in some thread on here.

An at least somewhat pleasant voice is also needed for commentary. Johnny ervolino knows some stuff about one pocket and I know it sucks getting old and all that but you can’t have a guy commentating that sounds like he’s talking through a throat cancer box.

There was a recent final with some pretty poor commentating, after Jeremy Jones and Arizona guy were doing almost every other match of the tournament. Don’t know why they switched it up for the final. I always smile where I hear JJ in the booth.

I can’t mute a pool match, I need all the sounds but bad talking can really cause some issues

middleofnowhere

Registered
I just watched that match between Cornelius Deuel and Shannon the cannon, posted in some thread on here.

An at least somewhat pleasant voice is also needed for commentary. Johnny ervolino knows some stuff about one pocket and I know it sucks getting old and all that but you can’t have a guy commentating that sounds like he’s talking through a throat cancer box.

There was a recent final with some pretty poor commentating, after Jeremy Jones and Arizona guy were doing almost every other match of the tournament. Don’t know why they switched it up for the final. I always smile where I hear JJ in the booth.

I can’t mute a pool match, I need all the sounds but bad talking can really cause some issues
I was at a tournament and Johnny and I were talking, we were in the second row. I guess we didn't realize how loud we were but it was really funny what happened.

I think it was Jimmy Reid playing and he stopped shooting and looks straight at us. He says "Can someone quiet down Foghorn Leghorn long enough for us to play this match. It was funny and everybody laughed. We weren't that loud but Johnny had a voice that carried, you could hear him across the room.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
There was a guy that went deep at the Diamond event in Las Vegas that NOBODY had heard of. Hard to know about somebody like that.

With that said, ALL players should have to fill out a profile when entering an event that will be streamed/televised

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
There was a guy that went deep at the Diamond event in Las Vegas that NOBODY had heard of. Hard to know about somebody like that.

With that said, ALL players should have to fill out a profile when entering an event that will be streamed/televised

I like that! Good point!

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
K, maybe what You might not be willing to understand now days as opposed to just 15 years ago, we have some events that have 400-600 entrants! No one has all the stats on many of these players. Knowing the name of a player is essential, but, their history is not always available. Maybe a solution for You would be, put Your hat in the commentating ring! If You're well known. I myself have no idea who you are or if you even play the game!

middleofnowhere

Registered
K, maybe what You might not be willing to understand now days as opposed to just 15 years ago, we have some events that have 400-600 entrants! No one has all the stats on many of these players. Knowing the name of a player is essential, but, their history is not always available. Maybe a solution for You would be, put Your hat in the commentating ring! If You're well known. I myself have no idea who you are or if you even play the game!
I think what is being said it is the responsibility of the player to supply it. It takes nothing to click a name and use it to do commentary but you need something to reference.

I think it would be very easy to set up, number of players is irrelevant. Nothing new here needs to be invented, just copy what is being done in other sports.