Pro Players Aversion to Using Inside Spin

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been working my inside english for a couple of years by adding 30 mins or so daily to going up and down the table and trying to get whitey on a 2 inch paper circle while attempting shots similar to spot shots (varying angles) and about all I can say is that inside English is a real PIA. There is no doubt that inside spin has more variables and is tons harder to make the shot and get whitey to where it needs to be. CJ Wiley is the best that I have ever seen at using inside English.

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you need to kill the cue ball on a cut shot to hold position for shape on the next ball on the same end of the table (as opposed to going all the way down the table and back) inside spin can really come in handy if you can use it and feel confident in making your shot. Bottom inside even moreso.
In my experience, if the balls are polished and the cloth is new, inside will only take significantly on very soft shots where the CB hits the rail at a near 90 degree angle. I’m always surprised when the inside seems to disappear after a firm hit comes off the cushion at an acute angle.

Last edited:

FunChamp

I love inside english. I never understood why folks have an aversion to it. outside english deflects just like inside english. You just use outside more often. Spend some time on the table practicing different amounts of inside from different distances, get the aim and angles down. It becomes a powerful tool. Plus it's cool to watch when you hit shots well with inside. Chicks dig it and you become a hero to millions of people around the world. Just like me.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love inside english. I never understood why folks have an aversion to it. outside english deflects just like inside english. You just use outside more often. Spend some time on the table practicing different amounts of inside from different distances, get the aim and angles down. It becomes a powerful tool. Plus it's cool to watch when you hit shots well with inside. Chicks dig it and you become a hero to millions of people around the world. Just like me.
I love using inside as well on our worn cloth, but I’m pretty sure you’d feel a little differently if you played all your big matches exclusively on freshly installed new Simonis cloth on the bed and cushions, like the pros do.

Running inside spin on the cue ball off the cushions is fine on new cloth, but trying to get whitey to grab or change direction off the cushions with inside (reverse spin) just doesn’t work on new cloth.

Last edited:

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The Friction Factor is enough to make inside my last option considered. Sometimes it's the best option even after considering all else first. So if it's, "oh shit I got a kick", I knew it could happen.🤷😉

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not just the pros that avoid inside spin, it is a harder spin to aim with and control. Outside spin you are not fighting the angle and aiming as much, the spin and shot is going with the natural way the cueball wants to go, you are just giving it more oomph into the natural direction.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Friction Factor is enough to make inside my last option considered. Sometimes it's the best option even after considering all else first. So if it's, "oh shit I got a kick", I knew it could happen.🤷😉
"You have to play for the skid." Lisciotti

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is aiming harder with inside?

pj
chgo

It's not as natural and ends up going against the angle so a miss is more likely due to needing to judge for throw and deflection. Outside is talked about as "helping" english by Buddy Hall and a few others when pocketing balls, inside is probably called hell english LOL Going against the grain so to speak of the shot vs with it when using outside.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not as natural and ends up going against the angle so a miss is more likely due to needing to judge for throw and deflection. Outside is talked about as "helping" english by Buddy Hall and a few others when pocketing balls, inside is probably called hell english LOL Going against the grain so to speak of the shot vs with it when using outside.
It's funny you say that, I saw a segment with trump and lisowski, doing a Q and A at last years UK championships. And thay said almost the same phrase. Thay called it helping side.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Get in english" is often inside. Some like to use it to make the pocket effectively larger.

I think using inside follow on a ball on the side rail to go three cushions around the table used to be far more popular than today when players tend to use more outside draw. I wonder if it was harder to keep the draw in the old days. The follow shot would have been mandatory with the big cue ball.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Get in english" is often inside. Some like to use it to make the pocket effectively larger.

I think using inside follow on a ball on the side rail to go three cushions around the table used to be far more popular than today when players tend to use more outside draw. I wonder if it was harder to keep the draw in the old days. The follow shot would have been mandatory with the big cue ball.
My preferred shot on Gold Crowns was to go 3 cushions around the table.
But now that I play on Diamonds I find that if not hit perfect the object ball hangs up in the pocket.
So I switched to outside draw with a higher success rate.