Pro pool player's vs transgender athlete's

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what is the difference between pro player's dominating amateur (State/regional tournaments) and trans men crushing women's sports? Curious...
Screenshot_20210302-063920.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210302-091959.png
    Screenshot_20210302-091959.png
    423.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Screenshot_20210302-091929.png
    Screenshot_20210302-091929.png
    414 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pretty funny that the same folks who routinely slam the ability of women players and belittle the existence of women's tournaments are now bravely riding to their defense over a practically nonexistent issue.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pretty funny that the same folks who routinely slam the ability of women players and belittle the existence of women's tournaments are now bravely riding to their defense over a practically nonexistent issue.
Who? I wrote this and have never done what you say.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
A Pro pool player isn't born a Pro and at an automatic advantage from birth. A man, competing as a woman, in women's events has an advantage he was born with. Testosterone.

Men and women can develop the same skills on a pool table and compete against each other in great battles. However, men are built to develop much more muscle and strength in athletic sports than women. That's biological. Doesn't matter so much in pool and darts.

Now I'm not saying I'm gonna outrun a female track athlete. They are very fast in their own right, but facing a man that was born a man and trained as a man for years on end, the female athlete may not even be competitive. That robs her of potential victory, even though she is using her maximum ability within her body's limits.

Just my $0.02.

They should just make a Trans section....so all of them can compete against each other. And leave men and women's sports to their own.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Pro pool player isn't born a Pro and at an automatic advantage from birth. A man, competing as a woman, in women's events has an advantage he was born with. Testosterone.

Men and women can develop the same skills on a pool table and compete against each other in great battles. However, men are built to develop much more muscle and strength in athletic sports than women. That's biological. Doesn't matter so much in pool and darts.

Now I'm not saying I'm gonna outrun a female track athlete. They are very fast in their own right, but facing a man that was born a man and trained as a man for years on end, the female athlete may not even be competitive. That robs her of potential victory, even though she is using her maximum ability within her body's limits.

Just my $0.02.

They should just make a Trans section....so all of them can compete against each other. And leave men and women's sports to their own.
Do men have an advantage in pool?

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If my question offends you please change the channel. Thanks

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They probably shouldn't play if that is their attitude anyways. Imo that's what tournaments are for. Playing the best around.
We've had this conversation 286544x on the olde Azb.

How many weeks in a row will you pay 10$ to get nothing new?
Same question as above, but now:
20$?
30$?
40??
50$?

Everybody has a threshold and each person's is different, so the $ level is not actually a point of relevant concern.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But from the other side, is it really appropriate to call a player that has never run a rack but has cashed in a weekly event a professional?
No, not that, either. A person picking up some cash award in a weekly event, weekend tournament, even a week-long tournament, isn't a professional unless they are deriving their livelihood from the pursuit; however, they may be in a gray area regarding amateur status, depending on the rules of the governing body that they operate under. So, one can conceivably be neither a pro nor amateur. Most amateur definitions have exceptions for "small" prizes.

The APA is having their Amateur Championship this month. Here's their statement as to amateur status:

1. Professional players are not allowed to participate in the U.S. Amateur Championship. APA will consult with several professional tours concerning the status of any player. In addition, players who possess professional characteristics will not be allowed to participate. Professional characteristics include, but are not limited to: making the majority of one’s income giving exhibitions, giving lessons or playing pool. Please contact the APA if you think there is any possibility that you possess professional characteristics.
    APA has a nationwide network of representatives and maintains a list of professional players throughout the country. APA intends to check the amateur status according to the above guidelines on every entrant into the U.S. Amateur Championship. Those entrants found to be in violation will be consulted and given an opportunity to appeal; however, APA has the final authority to make the judgment. Entry fees for those entrants found to be in violation will not be refunded.
  2. APA reserves the right to rule on amateur status (professional or amateur) at any time before, during, or after the event.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
State championships have always been pro events in the forty five years I've been around the competitive scene. Residency or even citizenship have never had anything to do with eligibility. In what I believe was 1997, Mika Immonen, who still lived in Finland, won the Rhode Island State Championship (also known as the Ocean State Championship).

If an event is restricted to amateurs, it will nearly always say so in the event's title.

Finally, I can't see any relationship between the two subjects mentioned n the thread title.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
State championships have always been pro events in the forty five years I've been around the competitive scene. Residency or even citizenship have never had anything to do with eligibility. In what I believe was 1997, Mika Immonen, who still lived in Finland, won the Rhode Island State Championship (also known as the Ocean State Championship).

If an event is restricted to amateurs, it will nearly always say so in the event's title.

Finally, I can't see any relationship between the two subjects mentioned n the thread title.

I think the comparison that was originally made was pro pool players playing in events where there is very little competition to their level of play is similar to that of biological males who identify as females playing in female sports. I think it is an accurate observation when we look at what the OP was trying to compare.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the comparison that was originally made was pro pool players playing in events where there is very little competition to their level of play is similar to that of biological males who identify as females playing in female sports. I think it is an accurate observation when we look at what the OP was trying to compare.
Exactly!

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is an example I think that would be a good comparison. In weight lifting/power lifting, we are seeing males that identify with being female not just break records, but shatter them. These records are now so high that there is absolutely zero chance of a biological woman having that record again and very little chance of beating the biological male in competition. Compare that to a state APA tournament. Shane Van Boening is allowed to play in the tournament. Who in that tournament is going to have any chance of beating him? No one.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As far as "state championships" in the US, I doubt that more than two of them currently have any sanction at all. In the 1960s and 1970s the BCA would sanction tournaments. That hasn't happened for quite a while except as part of a WPA sanction for international events, so far as I know.

If you want to have your own state championship, just print up flyers.

I think Wisconsin used to have a very active state organization and they had annual multi-event championships (at the State Fair?).

This is separate from the various private leagues having their own regional and state tournaments, which are sanctioned by themselves.

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
To address the OP I see a problem with men competing in women's physical sports, this has bore out in recent times with a multitude of evidence. Any non physical sports I can't see a problem.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks for the clarification.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
If that is the case should men be allowed to play in women's tournaments? If not how come (equality)?
Sure. I dont think the powers that be would allow it though.

I can see having the two different professional leagues, like all sports have, but mixed events should be a non issue for something like pool, darts, curling, archery, shooting sports, etc.

Leave the heavy lifting sports separate.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is an example I think that would be a good comparison. In weight lifting/power lifting, we are seeing males that identify with being female not just break records, but shatter them. These records are now so high that there is absolutely zero chance of a biological woman having that record again and very little chance of beating the biological male in competition. Compare that to a state APA tournament. Shane Van Boening is allowed to play in the tournament. Who in that tournament is going to have any chance of beating him? No one.

This is why events that want to only have "amateur" players state as much in the rules. Lately they have been using Fargo as a simple scale, usually the cut off is the 700s for a more open event, and maybe 550-600 for a more average player event. My area has been having 550 and under events and even though I am often just over that, I like that cut off. It still has some players that can run a rack or two if they are on, but there is a much larger base of players that can do well in the event. It keeps from having an open event where you can pick the top 4 with like an 80% accuracy before it event starts which can discourage people from playing or at least not make it a futile attempt.