Problem with Mcdermotte cue

billiardsnut26

Registered
When you have the stick completely together and tap it against your hand you here and feel i bad vibration that just started, would that be the joint pin coming loose, or would it be something else. thanks guys for any info!!!

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Where does it sound of feel like it's coming from. Does the shaft or joint feel loose when it's screwed together? Does it have a weight bolt?

billiardsnut26

Registered
It feels like it is coming from right where it screws together but the shafts screws together and is tight and it does it if you have weight bolt in or out

marcoelslager

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
vibration

Might sound funny but a loose weight bolt will cause this sound. Take the bumper off and make sure bolt is tight. If the shaft is tight to the butt its not your joint pin.

If its not the bolt try same tapping with just the butt, if butt still makes a ringing noise its probably internal just above the wrap. You need to send back to McD so they can perform surgery.

Marc

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
check for dirt buildup on the face of the butt where the pin is. I had this problem with one of my cues, had it cleaned up, and it was fine. When the stick is together it looks fine, and feels fine, but that little bit of dirt buildup made the difference. Just scrape it off with a fingernail or something all the way around the pin/collar.

Best of luck.

Player Rick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had an old Adam that did the same thing. Put your cue together, hold it up to a light and look for any space at the joint. Mine was so old it had worn around the joint and wasn't making good contact. A quick trip to the local "Cue repair guy" took care of the problem. That was in the 80's, cost me about $15.00.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Could be the A joint (where the forearm screws into the handle section)...depending on what model McDermott you have. I have a custom that does that, and I know it's an A Joint problem (I tripped over the cue once and it obviously cracked something there, never bothered to fix it). It's like a "buzz" sound/feel when you tap it. Hopefully, the others are right and it's a dirty joint face...:frown:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a weight bolt to me too.

When you solve it I would like to hear the solution.

Best of rolls,

Ken

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you have the stick completely together and tap it against your hand you here and feel i bad vibration that just started, would that be the joint pin coming loose, or would it be something else. thanks guys for any info!!!

I don't know if you feel a vibration or hear one.

On the old Meucci Cues, that was good when the shaft vibrated like a tuning fork when you tap the side of the cue.

Does the rubber bumper spin around easy or is it solid and doesn't move?

The rubber bumpers on some McDermotts come loose sort of...and can be annoying.

If the cue hits solid, I won't worry about it.