Puerto Rico Open 10 Ball, Men & Women (Nov 15-18), Winner $25K (Men)/$20K (Women)

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Not sure what it is but something seems a little off to me also. The cue ball seems to roll normal until it starts to slow down, then it comes to a rest sooner then I expected.

One thing that I noticed is the railing that separates the spectator seats from the table has the fans looking over it and under depending on where the shots are on the table.

I don't want to seem critical and I have certainly enjoyed this event. Hell I don't even mind the commentary.
Right - exactly. But the cloth looks like it’s still pretty slick. It just looks kinda weird but I can’t put my finger on it.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FINAL DAY

Live Scores/Schedule
Men
mens final day.JPG

Women
womens' final day .JPG

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching paint dry > watching Kaci without a shot clock

They have a ref watching the match so I don't understand why they don't have the shot clock.
Referees are napping
12 racks in 2.5 hours that is about 12minutes . Probably longest match
Now shootout

Other 3 semifinalists already confirmed
Jesus Atencio waiting for winner of this match

1st semifinal now Daniel Maciol v Ko Pin Yi

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Commentator just made the bizarre statement that Maciol "sets up like a righty but plays like lefty". That's a new one to me. Perhaps I'm slow but it seems like the game is the same whether you cue with your left arm or your right arm.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching paint dry > watching Kaci without a shot clock

They have a ref watching the match so I don't understand why they don't have the shot clock.
The shootout was a snoozefest. They traded successes until the announcer started blaring over the PA right in the middle of Kaci's 8th shot, which he then missed. Coincidence? Perhaps. But with the long break between the second set and the start of the shootout, the setup for each shot, the hemming and hawing by some players before each shot, and the indeterminate end, it's hard to convince me that the shootout is much faster than just playing another set, and definitely not any faster than just doing three races to 3.

I don't know why the powers that be decided shootouts were the way to go, but they'd better be right (ie, it gets more people interested and watching, and so more money in the game). Because shootouts are an abomination to us steady fans.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C'mon people. There's been some REALLY hi-level play in both the men's and women's events and all you got is 'i hate the shoot-out'?? Either don't watch or don't bitch. We got it, not all like the SO. Go start your own tour. Oh wait, RKC is gonna do that. Yeah right. ;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I have to give props to the producers for trying to use captions so the hearing impaired or those with the mute button on can see the commentary. There is obviously some sort of computer-based transliteration in play, but it can come out really funny when foreign names are involved.

For example, I've experienced each of these:

Ko Pin Yi came out "go pannini"

Daniel Maciol came out "Donyell Marshall" (a former star basketball player at University of Connecticut)

Pijus Labutis' last name came out "the Buddhist"

... good for a few laughs anyway.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lesser known Polish player Daniel Maciol puts on polished performance to KO Ko in shootout.
Maciol has a knack for shootouts winning all 3 including against superstar shooter Filler :LOL:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
A good name for this event would have been the "Greg Fix Open". For those who don't know, Fix is surely the slowest player (yes, slower than both Kaci and Basavich) since the end of the straight pool era. Any tournament that doesn't use a shot clock on the stream table, not even the final, should be required to pay tribute to Greg Fix.

WPA needs to pay attention to the fans of our game and should refuse to sanction an event that doesn't use a shot clock on the arena table.

realtor1618

Registered
A good name for this event would have been the "Greg Fix Open". For those who don't know, Fix is surely the slowest player (yes, slower than both Kaci and Basavich) since the end of the straight pool era. Any tournament that doesn't use a shot clock on the stream table, not even the final, should be required to pay tribute to Greg Fix.

WPA needs to pay attention to the fans of our game and should refuse to sanction an event that doesn't use a shot clock on the arena table.
You might not see one but there is a shot clock for this event on the arena table as well as all of the other events they have put on.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice to hear some applause. Too many events nowadays the people in the crowd sit on their hands the whole time and barely respond to what they're seeing.