Queens Gambit - Netflix

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Queens Gambit has been made into a mini-series, available on Netflix. The production is excellent. One of the better shows to binge watch during these times. Obviously, BCA Hall of Famer Walter Tevis is no longer around to have lent guidance on his vision, but it seems the material he left was magic enough . Maybe I’ll actually read the book now to see if it was close to the series.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
image085.jpg
“The King is Dead” Playboy, September 1973.

A young chess hustler gets out of prison and enters into a battle of wits and high stakes chess with a rich older chess player.

“The King is Dead” (the English translation of the Persian “shah mat” or “checkmate”), is a chess story. And it is a perfect companion piece to THE QUEEN’S GAMBIT.
image086x.jpg
The kid here is a lot like Eddie Felson, the older man a bit like Minnesota Fats. And Tevis sold the story to Playboy, the same magazine that bought “The Hustler” 16 years earlier. He basically sold them the same idea twice, changing the game played from one obsession, pool, to another obsession, chess. As with THE QUEEN’S GAMBIT, you don’t need to understand chess to enjoy this story.

To end this with some good news, the literary agent of the Estate of Walter Tevis tells me plans are underway for an anthology made up of Tevis’s uncollected short stories and some previously unpublished stories.

image085.jpg

To make this Pool related Here an article about Tigran Petrosian,Chess Player. A few Chess Players were also Billiard/Pool players.

1pet2.jpg

chess player.jpg

Last edited:

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched some of it I got to episode 3 before I stopped its ok. Just made me want to play chess. But there is no chess club in my area.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those of you who are also chess players, here are two games that appear in the series analyzed by my favorite chess commentator. He also tells which real games these games were based on and gives some other chess-nerd details about the games.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Awesome show. Tevis makes the story about what's behind the game and between the ears. This could be about any game, but the human story is the thing. Plus the actress is stunning (and just plain good)!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's really easy to play online these days.
Isn't that the truth Bob! This morning I watched a tv segment on a young lady (25) who's making $100,000+ a year just to play chess online. She has 300,000 followers!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Queens Gambit has been made into a mini-series, available on Netflix. The production is excellent. One of the better shows to binge watch during these times. Obviously, BCA Hall of Famer Walter Tevis is no longer around to have lent guidance on his vision, but it seems the material he left was magic enough . Maybe I’ll actually read the book now to see if it was close to the series.
Last night i watched 6 episodes
Terrific!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the whole series.
For a series based on something as boring as chess(my opinion) they managed to make it very interesting.
The only disappointment was not seeing her boobs! But I'm an old pervert.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just started watching it with my wife last night. Great show! I loved chess and played it daily before I discovered pool.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
I binge watched it and I thought that movie was better than the color of money and I really like the color of money. I felt they could of had a few more episodes.

rharm

Registered
The series follows the book very closely. I know at one time, Heath Ledger had the movie rights, but I think it was done much better as a mini-series, it was able to include so much more of the book

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The book is excellent. And the show does really well sticking to the book, right down to the exact dialog in many scenes.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those of you who are also chess players, here are two games that appear in the series analyzed by my favorite chess commentator. He also tells which real games these games were based on and gives some other chess-nerd details about the games.

That's interesting....in the netflix version Borgov accepts the gambit, but in the book he declines it and plays pawn to K5. She then captures his K5 pawn, and then they each bring out a knight. I wonder why they changed the game for the series...?