Race to 100 betting $20,000 of your own money. Who would you pick??

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny may be the best 9baller of all time by a few measures.
A great player who was atop the heap for a while, yes..but t 'best ever' is exaggeration, imo.

Black Balled, I assume they call you that for a reason. Not only did Parica tell me that story, but before that, everybody in the room was talking about who the best 9 ball player of all time was. Parica looked at me and pointed his finger across the room and said "he is the best 9 ball player I have ever seen". That person was once again Johnny Archer.

Do you still feel like that was a dumb ass comment? If you ever get the chance to ask Parica about that story first hand, please feel free to and let me know what he tells you.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
SVB is my pick all day. He has the most experience in those conditions and hits amazing gears. There is a good reason no one is running to challenge him in that format.

Mcdermott1981

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black Balled: I didn't say that Johnny was the best 9 ball player ever, Parica told me that. I think it's impossible to say who the best of all time was. It's much easier to say that Efren is the best one pocket player ever. Or that Ronnie O'Sullivan is the best Snooker player ever. You could ask 100 people who the best 9 ball player of all time was and you would get 30 different answers.

Maybe I am too partial to the Taiwanese, but the best 9 ball player I've ever seen play is Yang! Beat Dennis Orcollo for the cheese 3 times. That was some of the best 9 ball I've ever seen. But I've also seen Earl play that way for long stretches too.

Great conversation though

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Just a fun hypothetical question here. Here is the situation. If you could personally pick one player from the entire world to race to 100 playing 10 ball on a 9ft Diamond with $20,000 of your own money on the line, who would you pick to be your player?

Think of all the top players to choose from: SVB, Jayson Shaw, Dennis Orcollo, Johann Chua, Ko Pin Yi, Chang Jun Lin, Darren Appleton, Ruslan Chinahov, Neils Feijen, etc.

Who would your pick be?

It would be a tough one for me and I have watched all of these players and many other players on this level play countless times.

If I was betting $20,000 of my own money today, I would pick Ko Pin Yi!!! Love the way he plays. Has a huge break, almost never makes mistakes and is one of the few players that seems to have Shane's number of the last few years.

I'd be curious to see everybody else's pick.

For $20,000 of my own money?? I'd go with a quadriplegic. If they have to be physically capable of playing, the first APA 2 I could find. Got school to pay for.

For $100-200 of my own money is a different story lol. Probably SVB or Alex in 10 ball. That seems like it would be fun. In Snooker, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Mark Selby or Neil Robertson.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Black Balled, I assume they call you that for a reason. Not only did Parica tell me that story, but before that, everybody in the room was talking about who the best 9 ball player of all time was. Parica looked at me and pointed his finger across the room and said "he is the best 9 ball player I have ever seen". That person was once again Johnny Archer.

Do you still feel like that was a dumb ass comment? If you ever get the chance to ask Parica about that story first hand, please feel free to and let me know what he tells you.

Sorry but, in the mid 90's when Johnny and Efren were trading PBT tour wins after another, Efren would have given him the 8-ball in a race to 17 for cash.
Johnny also did not beat Bustamante for the cash. They tied.

Parica did not see much of SVB, Dennis and the Taiwanese murderers' row when he said that .

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Just a fun hypothetical question here. Here is the situation. If you could personally pick one player from the entire world to race to 100 playing 10 ball on a 9ft Diamond with $20,000 of your own money on the line, who would you pick to be your player?

Think of all the top players to choose from: SVB, Jayson Shaw, Dennis Orcollo, Johann Chua, Ko Pin Yi, Chang Jun Lin, Darren Appleton, Ruslan Chinahov, Neils Feijen, etc.

Who would your pick be?

It would be a tough one for me and I have watched all of these players and many other players on this level play countless times.

If I was betting $20,000 of my own money today, I would pick Ko Pin Yi!!! Love the way he plays. Has a huge break, almost never makes mistakes and is one of the few players that seems to have Shane's number of the last few years.

I know this is hypothetical...but lets thin the herd...hypothetically....
....SVB, Alex, Dennis Orcullo.....
...anybody want to add to this list of players that would bet 20 thou of their own money?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I don't gamble for 20K, but if I had to, it would be Shane in a long 10 ball race. Let me ask this, who's going to play him? Certainly nobody betting their own LOL.

In reality, if Shaw keeps playing well, somebody will probably stake him against Shane, so we might get to see that match actually come off.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody, because they will all dump.
I'd have a better chance to play myself. At least i would try and not dump.

(1) Actually, a very small percentage of top players, have been known to dump!

(2) Why cast aspersions like that, and try to hurt pools reputation even more?

(3) You may as well 'dump' yourself, as you would have zero chance of winning! :embarrassed2:

Mcdermott1981

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys, I think you are all missing the point. I didn't say these players would bet 20k of their own cash. I think in the pool world, we know that's almost not an option. I said if you as a spectator were to bet 20k of your own money on any player to win a race to 100, who would it be. Let's say there were 12 players in a knockout stage tournament and each had a backer that put up 20k. Which player would you personally put your 20k on??

And as far as Efren giving Johnny the 8 ball in the 90's playing 9ball, I sure as hell wish I had the shit you were smoking right now. I think anybody in the world would admit that Bustamante was a better 9 ball player in his prime than Efren in his prime and Busta and Johnny broke even. Come on man!

bicki

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if shane finds to his lethal break, he gets a lot of easy layouts. So many, that I can't see anyone out there outplaying shane's break!

Shane played a lot of these 100 races. iirc, he only lost to Alex; imho the best pool match I ever saw. Shaw came very close and I felt back then on an other day Shaw might win. But if they played over and over, my money would still be on shane.

I try to spin this hypothesis even further... Not only a single race to 100, but they played forever! Who would lead that pack in the circumstances described (10ball, 9foot, winnerbreak of course? If survival of the human race depended on it, Shane would be my pick! And I would not even hesitate.

raise1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis robbed Ruslan at Q-Masters this past October giving up MONSTER weights for $600 per game. So you can safely remove Ruslan's name from this conversation at the moment.

In this hypothetical format, I'd pick SVB.

I believe John Mars tried to set this up a few years back for the Derby, $25,000 a man with John backing SVB, but a much shorter race and play in some sort of a Round Robin. Not too many people were interested in any other players.

Who would your pick be?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

(3) You may as well 'dump' yourself, as you would have zero chance of winning! :embarrassed2:

(1) Most pro players are broke and will dump in a heart beat for a slice of 20K

(2) pools reputation cant get hurt anymore.

(3) probably would not win but I would try.

But if I had to side bet my own 20K and the players did not know I was betting it would be Earl Strickland in his prime before he became mentally ill.
And if it was in the distant past it would be Wimpy.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

#1 is 100% correct. I have personally ask many pro pool players if they have ever dumped a backer or ever would. Every single one of them said absolutely not. So there you have it.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
#1 is 100% correct. I have personally ask many pro pool players if they have ever dumped a backer or ever would. Every single one of them said absolutely not. So there you have it.

Ya and pool is filled with up standing citizens so I'd never question that :cool:;):sorry::confused:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always find it funny when people put "gambling" in a different class than tournament play. For example, before the Derby this year, I don't believe many people considered Karl Boyes a "back room gambler", yet he still beat the pants off of Oscar. I don't think anybody can deny the amount of gambling Oscar has done. There is far more pressure in a World Championship or a Mosconi Cup for example than a single gambling match for say $10,000-$20,000. So with that being said, I still have my money on Big Ko.

Well IMHO, ( and by more than just a few others feel this way as well ) gamblers ARE superior to strictly just tourney players. Is there pressure playing Mosconi etc - sure but I Don not believe it to be the same as putting 20G's of your own cheez up in the light - u must remember the Mosconi players are getting a payday regardless of win, lose or drawing! As I've said many many times, everything else being equal IL take the gambler EVERY time!

Who would your pick be?

SVB all day long and twice on Sunday! Not forgetting how awesome of a player he is, he really excels in this particular format. Also, if you were worried about " dumping " in any way Shane Imo would by far be the least likely to ever have to worry about him doing that.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

How many would actually tell you they have or would dump?!

I hope you were good friends with them, because that is just a strange thing to ask someone.

GoldenFlash

Banned
Now here's a guy who has been around.....

ya and pool is filled with up standing citizens so i'd never question that :cool:;):sorry::confused:1
BINGO!!
"I'd never do business"
"Look, here's my photo....I am so up standing"
Cartoon of man with lots of money.jpg

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys, I think you are all missing the point. I didn't say these players would bet 20k of their own cash. I think in the pool world, we know that's almost not an option. I said if you as a spectator were to bet 20k of your own money on any player to win a race to 100, who would it be. Let's say there were 12 players in a knockout stage tournament and each had a backer that put up 20k. Which player would you personally put your 20k on??

And as far as Efren giving Johnny the 8 ball in the 90's playing 9ball, I sure as hell wish I had the shit you were smoking right now. I think anybody in the world would admit that Bustamante was a better 9 ball player in his prime than Efren in his prime and Busta and Johnny broke even. Come on man!

Johnny was a straight shooter of the highest order, for sure, but...

Efrens kicking and creativity with the cb has him in a league alone in the 80s and 90s.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had $20k to blow I would have SVB play Wu race to 100 10 ball on a 9ft Diamond. I'd give the money to the winner so no need to dump. They would probably still make a deal and chop up my dough