Rafael Martinez.....??

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kang?

Not sure I'd agree, but guess it isn't not un anti-impossible
Kang hasn't played in anywhere near the number of big money games. Fargo don't mean shit in that regard. I've seen Rafael beat more than a couple REALLY big name players for the chili. Kang wouldn't like it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kang hasn't played in anywhere near the number of big money games. Fargo don't mean shit in that regard. I've seen Rafael beat more than a couple REALLY big name players for the chili. Kang wouldn't like it.

What do I care...not my money.

Keep those backer applications coming. Interviews available NOW!

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Word is Rafael was Bautista's mentor. Last time they played Bautista beat him for the cash in Mexico.

MickeyMantle

Mickey Mantle #7
Got to see him play here in Corpus Christi about 4-5 years back, running away with the money that came with 1st and the Calcutta. Candidly, I really did not know who he was, until I looked him up. His game was unbelievable, really a great shooter back then, and sure he still is. Had a leather looking equipment bag/case the size of an old Army duffle bag, guessing he came prepared for almost anything.

usakr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a tournament next week in Matamoros, Mexico across the border from Brownsville,Tx. $30 entry fee $8,000 1st prize $3,000 2nd and 1,000 3rd. My understanding is he'll be there.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got to see him play here in Corpus Christi about 4-5 years back, running away with the money that came with 1st and the Calcutta. Candidly, I really did not know who he was, until I looked him up. His game was unbelievable, really a great shooter back then, and sure he still is. Had a leather looking equipment bag/case the size of an old Army duffle bag, guessing he came prepared for almost anything.

He probably didnt know who Mickey Mantle was either:wink:

I met Rafael Martinez at the tournament where I first met Keith. It was at the Capital City Classic held at the Ramada Inn in Maryland. Rafael invited Keith and me to his room to hang out for a bit. He had a boombox in there, and he asked me, "Do you want to hear some good music?" I said sure. He played this Mexican song, a sad-sounding song, and he started singing. He got a little emotional about the song and tears ran down his face as he sang the words. To me, he was a very gentle soul at that moment. Didn't talk much, as I recall.

We would run into him at other events, and he was always very pleasant to me. 😄
Jam I was at that tournament sorry I’m just reading old threads

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rafael's been dead and resurrected about three times now. He might be getting a little long in the tooth for hustling big time pool. He may be making the bar table circuit somewhere, and that's still very prominent in the Northwest.

He was certainly something to see in his prime, an amazing shot maker and fearless gambler. For his sake I hope he's shacked up somewhere with a girl who has a good job, enjoying a life of leisure. Rafael always had a fondness for the ladies of all ilks.

Last time I spent with him was at the U.S. Open about seven or eight years ago. I staked him in the tourney and in action around the Norfolk area. We drove all over the place in his old camper van looking for action and played in a few sketchy bars. He beat one loud mouthed braggart out of about 500 and didn't back down when the guy got in his face. I asked Rafael what he would have done if push came to shove and he smiled and showed me his knife (it was big!). You may not be aware of this but Rafael stabbed a belligerent pool player who was twice his size one time in Chicago when he felt threatened. He went to jail briefly but no one ever messed with him again.

By the way Rafael finished something like 17-24th in the tournament and we got back $2,000. He beat a couple of good players along the way. It had cost me well over a thousand to put him in and pay our expenses (500 entry fee and another 500 for the room and food). I split the money with him anyway, giving him a 1,000 and he was a happy camper. He took me to the airport and I haven't seen or heard from him since.
What year was this?
The last time I saw him was Vegas, 2011

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Saw him play in a tourney held at the now gone Q street billiards in Springfield, Oregon..early 90's...maybe '93? Overheard the locals talking about another guy there..."He beat Raphael??? Damn, who IS this guy?"

It was Rodney Morris..
Q street had a couple monster events before it went away. It was more like in the 1998-99 vicinity. I recall one of my employees coming to watch me get my ass handed to my by Danny Medina in one of them and he started with me in 1998. He was all drugged up and flipping his tongue in and out like a lizard. As if his shooting wasn't intimidating enough.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Wanna see some monster 9 ball? Check him out whooping on a young Francisco Bustamante 13-2. One of the best 9 ballers ever. Dang!
I love this match. This was when Francisco ruled Germany and pretty much all of Europe. Rafael stopped in to put an ass whipping on him. Look how solid he is at the table! Nothing moves except his piston-like right arm. Absolutely zero movement in his head or his body when he shoots. Talk about staying down on the shot. This is textbook. Rafael is sold as a rock! I loved watching him shoot. He was a terror for the cash too. The man had no dog in him! I used to introduce him as "El poco hombre con el grande corazon!"

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's awesome. Sparky Farrell kinda did the same to Henny one year. Henny made comments about Sparky's girlfriend/wife a couple times. Sparky warned him once and then knock'd him shitless the second time. Henny can flat play but might just be the biggest asswipe i've ever been around.
Agreed!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Amar is definitely not scared, but he will get spanked by Rafael for the money...I think. I'll bet you on that next time it comes around, you son of a gun.
I love Amar, but he would never play Rafael even at anything.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rafael is one of the last of a dying breed. He is a lifetime road man, playing pool all over the world and making a living doing it. He is the Mexican version of Jose Parica, and nearly as good. Tournaments, cash games. It never made a difference to Rafael, just tee it up and let's go. One of my all time favorites.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I'll bet there was virtually no tip on it. Rafael preferred to play with the tip worn all the way down to the ferrule. Craziest thing I ever saw. The tip looked like a pimple on the end of his cue. And he played like God with it that way!
Shane used to play with his tip completely wore down to the ferrule as well. No side walls. Just a radius sitting on a ferrule. He made it work. I like mine 3/32” to start with in a new tip. Funny how everyone likes a different thing.