Rails nuts and torque wrench based on advise from main forums

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
What kind of table do you have that you don't want a fold in the side pockets?

ANY table. Folding the cloth to the inside of the pocket changes how the ball reacts to it. Plus it is butt ugly.

It makes the pocket a bit smaller, for another.

I also like the classic look.

EDIT: And stretching the cloth so there is no fold turns the side pool pocket into a snooker pocket. That is the worst of all "solutions."

Jeff Livingston

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This is exactly why I try to learn to do my own mechanic work. I'm not loaded but I'm pretty handy with mechanical and nit picky things. If I shopped for a mechanic within my budget I would not be satisfied with the local results. Better to buy some new toys tools and learn how to do it correctly myself. I cringe every time I see those damn side pockets with cloth folded over the point of the cushion and 2" up the rail on each side that the local "good" mechanic does. I've never, no matter how shitty of a place I'm in, seen it done that way, but whoever this dude is... he comes highly recommended and every dummy here thinks it's the correct way. I'm picky as hell, but I can't afford to be picky so I learn to do it myself.

If I saw a washer upside down, a staple hammered over or anything similar I wouldn't pick or recommend that mechanic again. The devil is in the details as they say, if a mechanic misses something that easy it makes me wonder about his experience level. You gotta take pride in your work, it's your calling card.

I'm bad enough at pool on my own not to find mechanic related excuses to use! 😁

Hell yeah!
What tables are you talking about that folds in the side pockets that you don't feel should be done that way?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
What tables are you talking about that folds in the side pockets that you don't feel should be done that way?
If you're talking about tables with featherstriped rails, I'd like to see someone do the side pockets without folds, there's no way in hell that's happening. Bar table rails such as Valleys, yeah sure its done without folds, but look at the pocket facings and notice how the snooker effect looks, the no fold curves out the pocket openings in the side pockets!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I was going to answer but you answered your own question before I could.

So, the solution to bad playing conditions then is to fold the cloth under the slope of the rail.

Jeff Livingston

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I was going to answer but you answered your own question before I could.

So, the solution to bad playing conditions then is to fold the cloth under the slope of the rail.

Jeff Livingston
The solution to NOT being able to tuck all the excess cloth in the side pockets BEHIND the rails, is yes, to put a fold in the side pocket, because rail cushions blocks that DON'T detach from the rails, CAN'T be used to fold the excess rail cloth behind them!

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I wanted my side pockets done that way. It keeps the fold out of play.

'course they did it the "normal" way instead. sigh

Jeff Livingston
It's hard to describe, but it looks like they took about 6" of leftover fabric and folded it over the cusion (towards the playing surface. There is a crease on the actual nose of the rail. The result is you can't trust a rail shot past the side pocket because it usually hits the cloth fold on one or both long rails.

Imagine folding a tube sock at a 45 degree angle and it goes over the actual side rail and tucks under. It's the most insane thing I've ever seen.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I'll try to get some pics of one the next time I see one in the wild. I might play a $5 tournament on Wednesday so I'll try to remember a pic if I do. They are valley tables with ridgeback rails, maybe it's correct (I could just be ignorant of the method) but it looks very odd to me.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reminder about the retorque! Just did mine and all but one were a quarter turn loose. It does make a difference. I have about another diamond or two travel on a 3 rail lag.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It's hard to describe, but it looks like they took about 6" of leftover fabric and folded it over the cusion (towards the playing surface. There is a crease on the actual nose of the rail. The result is you can't trust a rail shot past the side pocket because it usually hits the cloth fold on one or both long rails.

Imagine folding a tube sock at a 45 degree angle and it goes over the actual side rail and tucks under. It's the most insane thing I've ever seen.
Then that's not right.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thanks for the reminder about the retorque! Just did mine and all but one were a quarter turn loose. It does make a difference. I have about another diamond or two travel on a 3 rail lag.
Just don't over tighten to compensate for torqued bolts, that just stresses the parts and wood.