Rasson vs Diamond Tables

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Diamond tables, and wish I could afford one for my home table (I have an older Connelly—which is fine). And I have never had the opportunity to play on a Rasson table. HOWEVER . . . I am starting to wonder whether Diamond is the best of the past but Rasson may be the best of the future.

Diamond has, IMO, perfected the traditional wood-based pool table. But just as carbon fiber shafts are an innovation that is taking pool tech beyond its wood traditions (wood dead-heads notwithstanding) it is looking to me that maybe Rasson is doing the same thing with table tech. Their use of an aluminum subframe strikes me as an important innovation. And while Diamond’s shim-based leveling system has been the state of the art for several years now, Rasson’s leveling system strikes me as more modern and sophisticated and more likely to remain reliable longer.

Not sure, but I am starting to think Rasson is the new technology leader in pool tables.
0DF04B29-385E-403A-ACE7-BD643AED7D39.jpeg

Last edited:

surlytempo

+1 for Rasson over Diamond. They make incredible tables. Diamond's reputation is well deserved, but, in my opinion having played on both extensively, Rasson makes better tables and with better build materials and technology.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I have minimal exposure to diamonds and have only seen rassons on youtube and their website. That said, for leveling purposes, aluminum extrusion and jack screws is better than wood and shims. That isn't a Diamond vs Rasson thing. Just the facts surrounding the materials and methods used.

As an interesting side note...: I was given a 9fter a couple of years ago, but was dragging my feet on assembly because I wanted to lag steel blocks with acme bolts for leveling purposes to the wooden sub frame. Just thought it would be more reliable and adjustment friendly than shims. This was before I knew of the Rasson's construction.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never played on a Rasson but I would love to.
They look beautiful.
I play on Diamonds and Gold Crowns.
I still like the good old Crown.
Solid table.
Nothing beats the thwack sound of a Gold Crown's pocket.
I chose a GC III for home, drop pockets.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love my Diamond and I'm not replacing it, but the Rasson certainly looks cool. My one complaint is the ball scuffing from the pockets, which has been an issue with Diamonds for a long time.

Makes me wonder about Rasson's claim that its pockets reduce scuffing.
1607381505149.png

Also, do Rassons have a ball return option?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted that picture (or a similar one) in the mechanics forum a couple years ago and got basically yelled at that its a horrible idea. Maybe things are different now.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Diamond tables, and wish I could afford one for my home table (I have an older Connelly—which is fine). And I have never had the opportunity to play on a Rasson table. HOWEVER . . . I am starting to wonder whether Diamond is the best of the past but Rasson may be the best of the future.

Diamond has, IMO, perfected the traditional wood-based pool table. But just as carbon fiber shafts are an innovation that is taking pool tech beyond its wood traditions (wood dead-heads notwithstanding) it is looking to me that maybe Rasson is doing the same thing with table tech. Their use of an aluminum subframe strikes me as an important innovation. And while Diamond’s shim-based leveling system has been the state of the art for several years now, Rasson’s leveling system strikes me as more modern and sophisticated and more likely to remain reliable longer.

Not sure, but I am starting to think Rasson is the new technology leader in pool tables.View attachment 577052
Looks like 8020 aluminum stock which is a super sturdy and efficient system. It is an extruded aluminum frame.

I don't think Rasson will overtake American players love of Diamond unless they get very involved in promoting professional and advanced amateur pool tournaments. If they built a tour...maybe.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I'm looking at the cross section correctly: The slate is clamped tight to a block with a machine screw. The machine screw threads into this block itself. This block is allowed to slide up and down inside a right angle bracket that is rigidly attached to the frame. From underneath the table, after the table is fully assembled with cloth and rails, you can move the block up or down to adjust level, and then lock it in place.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For play I think Rasson tables pocket balls much easier. I think the toughness , and even the quirkiness of Diamond pro cut pockets with deep shelves makes for a very challenging game. Rasson tables take shots that would never fall on a Diamond.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like 8020 aluminum stock which is a super sturdy and efficient system. It is an extruded aluminum frame.

I don't think Rasson will overtake American players love of Diamond unless they get very involved in promoting professional and advanced amateur pool tournaments. If they built a tour...maybe.

Are you sure it’s 8000 series aluminum and not 6000 or 7000 series.
Just pulling you chain🤣

Never mind. It’s 80/20 made from 6105-T5. Strong stuff.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not sure, but I am starting to think Rasson is the new technology leader in pool tables.View attachment 577052

Are there any rooms in the US with Rasson tables?

Regardless, IMO, the only way they could overtake Diamond is to sponsor a big event like the DCC.

Lou Figueroa
why not?

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any rooms in the US with Rasson tables?

Regardless, IMO, the only way they could overtake Diamond is to sponsor a big event like the DCC.

Lou Figueroa
why not?
I saw one in Queens. I didn’t play on it.

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a side note: Rasson claims they sell 20,000 tables per year. I doubt Diamond or anyone else can match that.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just a side note: Rasson claims they sell 20,000 tables per year. I doubt Diamond or anyone else can match that.
Diamond makes tables in Indiana, USA. They have a minimum of a six week back-order due to demand. As far as I know, they don‘t plan to ramp up production, so no, they are not likely to produce 20,000 American-made tables per year. The slate is outsourced, since there are not many quality slate quarries in the USA.