RED BULL as a sponsor for pool.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are we so focused on the Pros? It's been tried so many times, it's almost proven to fail at this point. Why not instead focus on the amateurs? Leagues are growing every day, and they're bringing more people into the game. What about starting from the bottom and working up? And a discussion for another thread: (how) did the previous generations screw up the game for today's generation with their shenanigans?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
They are not interested.

I also think they believe an association with pool could 'hurt' their brand.

Of course it would hurt their brand. Their brand is action sports. Skating, snowboarding, skiing, skydiving, dirt biking... fast, dangerous, adrenaline based things.. so yea, pool makes perfect sense for them.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red Bull sponsors ACTION sports. Not sports based on action (gambling). Unlimited hydroplanes, Air races and F1 have little in common with pool.

I associate pool with bars and drinking not amazing feats of athleticism like those on display at the X-Games.

The Johnny Walker tour makes sense to me the Red Bull tour not so much.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are other sports just as disjointed, just as corrupt, even with their customer base, and yet still pull big dollars for their events. Why? Because millions of people actually want to watch it and pay to watch it. It's not that's there's none for pool, but too few. Even pool players get bored watching pool. Then you have environments where people have to be quiet and still for hours on end. Sleepy Time!

But, instead of begging and pleading with outside sponsors, why isn't there more pressures on the ones that actually profit from the sport right now?

Approx 250,000 tables a year, every year, for decades. Those tables get serviced on average of every 8-10 years. For every pool table sold, there's probably a dozen cues sold, about 4-6 are custom. Tips, chalk, balls, racks, scuffers, shapers....etc.

There's plenty of money being made in pool. Just not in playing it. LOL

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
From RED BULL today....12-30-14

Red Bull North America
Dec 30 17:48
Hey Joey,
What's up man?
Red Bull sponsors a select number of athletes and sports, but our focus is really specific. At this point we aren't expanding our involvement with any other sports or activities that we do not already support, including pool.
You can check out www.redbull.com to get a better idea of the sports that Red Bull is involved with at this time.
We definitely appreciate your interest and wish you the best of luck!
Allie
Red Bull
www.redbull.com
For a free subscription to The Red Bulletin visit http://win.gs/17pICqC
Show us what #givesyouwings: win.gs/share

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Red Bull North America
Hey Joey,
What's up man?
Red Bull sponsors a select number of athletes and sports, but our focus is really specific. At this point we aren't expanding our involvement with any other sports or activities that we do not already support, including pool.
You can check out www.redbull.com to get a better idea of the sports that Red Bull is involved with at this time.
Allie
Red Bull
www.redbull.com
Red Bulletin is good. You should subscribe.

JoeyA

Silver Member
I think pool in general is looked upon as a "poor man's sport" and the image is often reflected in the people who participate in this sport. In general, most people involved with the sport, just don't spend a great deal of money in this "hobby".

In my earlier years, I chose pool as my hobby of choice because I could gamble doing it and I was pretty good at that. But one of the other things that I especially liked about it was the fact that I could start or stop playing pool in the blink of an eye. The fact that playing pool can be very inexpensive wasn't a consideration for me, although I too enjoy conserving my recreational money. While I don't spend a great deal on playing pool, I spend large sums of money traveling to and from pool tournaments on a regular basis. This is where the sport can be expensive to be involved with. MOST people don't go to 4 or 5 tournaments a year, out of state like I do and so their expenses are much lower. I don't have any problem with that either. A lot of people stay home and watch matches on live-streams, and recorded matches to get their fix. I like to get my fix by going straight to the source, in person and participate in the events.

MOST people hesitate to buy a $30 cue tip or a $3 piece of chalk. Most people hesitate to buy a $1500 cue. Most people hesitate to play pool for 20-30 hours per week.

I guess I could go on ad nauseum but the gist of what I am thinking is that pool has not captured the interest (and probably never will) of the masses and is appreciated by a few of us that have the calling . For the rest, it is just a sideways glance at an unusual activity that the majority of people in the world, will never know just how difficult this game really is. The majority of people involved with pool for the most part, don't spend a lot of money on it and probably will never do so.

How do you help ignite the fire in others? One person at a time. I have done this over the many years by teaching pool and helping to show others what I enjoy about the game. It's a slow go.:grin:

JoeyA

There are other sports just as disjointed, just as corrupt, even with their customer base, and yet still pull big dollars for their events. Why? Because millions of people actually want to watch it and pay to watch it. It's not that's there's none for pool, but too few. Even pool players get bored watching pool. Then you have environments where people have to be quiet and still for hours on end. Sleepy Time!

But, instead of begging and pleading with outside sponsors, why isn't there more pressures on the ones that actually profit from the sport right now?

Approx 250,000 tables a year, every year, for decades. Those tables get serviced on average of every 8-10 years. For every pool table sold, there's probably a dozen cues sold, about 4-6 are custom. Tips, chalk, balls, racks, scuffers, shapers....etc.

There's plenty of money being made in pool. Just not in playing it. LOL

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I have spoken to the marketing reps at Red Bull (not about pool tournaments but other tournaments as an FYI). They only sponsor events that they are the main facilitator of --- meaning, they are in control of the organization and creating the event. They simply don't throw money at a sponsorship. So unless the pool world is ready to give up their 'expertise' in organizing a pool tournament, it isn't going to work. Obviouisly Red Bull would have to be convinced that pool is something they want to get involved in beyond the extreme sports they are with now. And with all the egos in the pool world that think just because they can draw their ball, they can run a tournament I don't see this getting organized to happen. There are few exceptions that I see such as Oscar Dominguez.

This would make Red Bull the perfect company for the concept in my head. I always felt that pool is just ripe for a sponsor like this exactly because pro pool is at low tide and is fractured and disorganized. A company like Red Bull (or Budweiser, or Nike) could literally own pro pool overnight. I don't mean by sponsoring the US Open, but rather by starting a legitimate tour. With the current state of things a Red Bull could get in relatively cheap, with smaller purses to start. With their marketing and promotion muscle turn it in to something that itself could be a profit center and provide essentially free marketing. It could go from being a marketing expense to a profitable division.

I really think the way things are right now that some company could literally become the de facto owner of professional pool.

That would be my sales pitch. Instead of "Please sponsor the US Open so the players get paid on time." I'd pitch it as "How would you like to own an entire sport at the pro level that has millions of people who play it, for relatively cheap?" Think big, come in heavy and you could just take over the whole industry. It's there for the taking right now. And the good news is "big" in the pro pool business is probably a spit in the ocean compared to footing the bill for an F1 team for a single year. The upside could be huge and the financial risk if it doesn't float would be a relatively insignificant line item in their marketing budget.

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red Bull North America
Hey Joey,
What's up man?
Allie
Red Bull
www.redbull.com

Oh well, at least we can still maintain our dress code. If Red bull would have came in the collared shirts might have been in jeopardy.

On a serious note though I think its cool that you are trying.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think pool in general is looked upon as a "poor man's sport" and the image is often reflected in the people who participate in this sport. In general, most people involved with the sport, just don't spend a great deal of money in this "hobby".

In my earlier years, I chose pool as my hobby of choice because I could gamble doing it and I was pretty good at that. But one of the other things that I especially liked about it was the fact that I could start or stop playing pool in the blink of an eye. The fact that playing pool can be very inexpensive wasn't a consideration for me, although I too enjoy conserving my recreational money. While I don't spend a great deal on playing pool, I spend large sums of money traveling to and from pool tournaments on a regular basis. This is where the sport can be expensive to be involved with. MOST people don't go to 4 or 5 tournaments a year, out of state like I do and so their expenses are much lower. I don't have any problem with that either. A lot of people stay home and watch matches on live-streams, and recorded matches to get their fix. I like to get my fix by going straight to the source, in person and participate in the events.

MOST people hesitate to buy a $30 cue tip or a $3 piece of chalk. Most people hesitate to buy a $1500 cue. Most people hesitate to play pool for 20-30 hours per week.

I guess I could go on ad nauseum but the gist of what I am thinking is that pool has not captured the interest (and probably never will) of the masses and is appreciated by a few of us that have the calling . For the rest, it is just a sideways glance at an unusual activity that the majority of people in the world, will never know just how difficult this game really is. The majority of people involved with pool for the most part, don't spend a lot of money on it and probably will never do so.

How do you help ignite the fire in others? One person at a time. I have done this over the many years by teaching pool and helping to show others what I enjoy about the game. It's a slow go.:grin:

JoeyA

One person at a time...I don't think there's any other way, Joey. Here's some more thoughts...

For serious pool enthusiasts/players, how much table time in a pool room do you spend before you start to consider your own table? People finance a lot of things and although tables aren't cheap, it would seem that would be a worthwhile investment for people that want to play regularly.

While pool rooms have been closing, approx. a quarter of a million tables sold per year, for about the last 30 years, is quite a bit of people playing pool. There's obviously been issues, both real and false perceptions with pool rooms, their patrons, environments, etc. But it seems like there's still strong interest in the game. Just not in traditional rooms and tournaments.

What are the possibilities with this "home" market? Is there any way to convince more people that having a table at home is wonderful and get them making those investments instead of something else? Could that start a mainstream demand from a different approach that might eventually get the people out of their house?

Brunswick, Diamond, Simonis...they all know the current and future market is in the homes...not the pool halls and tournaments. I think if anyone wants to promote anything for this game, they need to recognize and try to embrace this fact.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread is to generate ideas and marketing suggestions for RED BULL only.

Perhaps, after enough good suggestions are made, we can invite the RED BULL marketing professionals to cruise over the thread and consider some of our ideas.

PLEASE, no wise-cracks or "humor". We all love pool. Let's try to pull together on this one. Marketing types don't have a penchant for wise-cracking humor, especially when their job is on the line.

Please make bona fide suggestions as to how you think RED BULL could profit from sponsoring pool or pool tournaments.

I have some ideas but I will wait to hear from the rest of you guys and girls.

Thanks for your valuable input.

JoeyA

Pool doesn't need a sponsor or sponsors as much as it needs patrons. People who will put money into something they like without any need for a return. In the theater they are caller "Angles".

JoeyA

Silver Member
One person at a time...I don't think there's any other way, Joey. Here's some more thoughts...

For serious pool enthusiasts/players, how much table time in a pool room do you spend before you start to consider your own table? People finance a lot of things and although tables aren't cheap, it would seem that would be a worthwhile investment for people that want to play regularly.

While pool rooms have been closing, approx. a quarter of a million tables sold per year, for about the last 30 years, is quite a bit of people playing pool. There's obviously been issues, both real and false perceptions with pool rooms, their patrons, environments, etc. But it seems like there's still strong interest in the game. Just not in traditional rooms and tournaments.

What are the possibilities with this "home" market? Is there any way to convince more people that having a table at home is wonderful and get them making those investments instead of something else? Could that start a mainstream demand from a different approach that might eventually get the people out of their house?

Brunswick, Diamond, Simonis...they all know the current and future market is in the homes...not the pool halls and tournaments. I think if anyone wants to promote anything for this game, they need to recognize and try to embrace this fact.

I suppose the "home table" sellers have their own marketing job cut out for themselves.

JoeyA

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Red Bull North America
Hey Joey,
What's up man?
Allie
Red Bull
www.redbull.com

.......like I said,

Maybe John Schmidt could enter a Red Bull motocross race, snap it off and take his winnings to create his own pool tour. Then Red Bull in some fashion would be the supporter of pool.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Red Bull is great for Pool Players... Pool Players are not great for Red Bull...

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I called in 2007

Great post! Oscar is TOP SHELF, imo.

I was just looking at RED BULL's other website at that represent them and it is incredible. : http://www.redbull.com/us/en/browse-all-athletes

They have more athletes on their website than I have the ability to "See More" and I am pretty tenacious. I wonder if any professional pool players have attempted to obtain any sponsorship from RED BULL?

Seriously, check out how many athletes you see on their webpage.

JoeyA

Red Bull said they would provide product for an event with at least 3 months advance notice.

I approached them also at the American Film Market in California Nov. of this year to see if our sport held appeal to them for a feature film.
They didn't feel it was a good fit for them...

Joey, I talked about pool to anyone with ears.

-CP

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I for one think all events should get announcements in their local newspaper and what's happening in town outlets as a start. People in town near large pool events do not know the events are happening spread the word locally would be a start.
I like that idea.
Like I said back when the World Cup of Pool was on.....
It was on ESPN 3! (Should have been on the main channel but that's another topic)

But, ESPN TV or at least radio (Mike and Mike) etc. Could have run a commercial or two for it since it was on their network.
I think there would have been a large number of people that would have at least checked it out if they actually knew it was on.

It would be nice if Simonis, Diamond, Aramith or whomever the main sponsors were......??? Could pony up some ca$h to actually get some more exposure with a prime time commercial for a major event.
I believe that would really help. Then we have to keep them coming back of course.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I have to agree with the need to make Pool "Extreme" in order for Red Bull to be involved.

Yes, a trick shot competition or show but in a public place like at the X-Games, trade shows,or at a shopping mall.
Exposure.

I like your post. Whether or not RED BULL thinks your idea has merit, remains to be seen.

My two ideas that I thought about were RED BULL sponsoring Shane Van Boening, since he is the most prominent American player traveling Internationally. Companies like RED BULL want all of the exposure they can get in new markets for them. Shane wearing RED BULL patches on International events and national events would be a nice starter for RED BULL.

The second idea was for them to sponsor TRICK SHOT COMPETITION events. They are small, have little baggage and can easily be controlled, and are exciting for the general public.

If RED BULL gets their feet wet with either of these two ideas or any pool idea, they could possibly consider other alternatives.

THE BOTTOM LINE for RED BULL, IS AN AWFUL LOT OF POOL PLAYERS BOTH RECREATIONALLY AND PROFESSIONALLY, drink a LOT of RED BULL and more would drink it if it were promoted to the millions that play pool!

If they needed a conduit to the pool world, I would be happy to be that pro bono just to try and help give pool a shot at outside sponsorship.

Yes, I do believe that a company like RED BULL could OWN pool (professional & Amateur) here in America for "cheap money" and they could form it the way that they want it.

It would undoubtedly take a RED BULL marketing person who thinks outside of the box and one who won't be led down the primrose path by traditional pool know-it-alls.

JoeyA

Last edited: