Referees needed for US Open in Atlantic City

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
You want a real laugh? Look at what it takes to be a volunteer at some of the PGA tournaments. Many of them actually charge the volunteers a fee, to cover the cost of their shirt, hat, etc. In other words, you have to PAY money out of your pocket, to be a volunteer.

Crazy. :ROFLMAO:
But you get free entry, and you don't have to rack balls for 12 hrs.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You want a real laugh? Look at what it takes to be a volunteer at some of the PGA tournaments. Many of them actually charge the volunteers a fee, to cover the cost of their shirt, hat, etc. In other words, you have to PAY money out of your pocket, to be a volunteer.

Could these volunteers effect the outcome of a pros tournament?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dad volunteered for the Senior PGA back in the 80’s a few times. It was fun for him. He really liked it. I don’t know exactly what he did but he sure liked it. For him being part of the event was cool.

I suppose the same could be said being a ref at a pool tourney for some people.

I can’t knock it, even tho it’s not my cup of tea.

Best
Fatboy

Island Drive

Silver Member
My dad volunteered for the Senior PGA back in the 80’s a few times. It was fun for him. He really liked it. I don’t know exactly what he did but he sure liked it. For him being part of the event was cool.

I suppose the same could be said being a ref at a pool tourney for some people.

I can’t knock it, even tho it’s not my cup of tea.

Best
Fatboy
Yeah it would be fun in golf, women, tv, thousands of spectators, but you see a couple balls every 15-20 minutes, and your able to relax between drives.
BUT, bending over, racking balls for 12 hours and standing all that time, is WORK.
If the pay/stay situation is as such, how good are the refs going to be?
They almost all have to be from the E. Coast.
The cost to fly in and get to the venue from anywhere West is exorbitant.
Especially getting a flight this close to the event.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Well, new York recently got more bus full of migrants, so there's the workforce if they can get them down there.

Jokes aside, you would have to be the biggest fan of pool to take this deal.
Or, like we ran into years ago at the BCA office (I worked there with John Lewis ACS/now retired), getting refs for the BCA Nationals in Vegas. Some couldn't draw their ball and loved the power trip. In pro play, this is NOT a good combination.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's some more info that I'm passing on:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additionally, some of you have asked what Matchroom is covering for your services, and below is what is covered:
  • Accommodations: covered but paired with another referee at host hotel. ...
Will they pay half the room cost if you want a room by yourself? I think the APA used to do that for the U.S. Amateur Championship.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's some more info that I'm passing on:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additionally, some of you have asked what Matchroom is covering for your services, and below is what is covered:
  • Accommodations: covered but paired with another referee at host hotel.
  • Travel: not covered
  • Meals: $50 food credit to be redeemed onsite per event day worked.
  • Per diem: a rate of $150 for each event day worked.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who is seriously interested, here is the application form that needs to be done very soon:
this actually is much better than I thought it would be.

Basically $200 a day and a room to sleep in. Like someone mentioned get a friend to do it with you and have them put you in the same room.

My guess is you are not going to be working opening to close so probably have some time to watch some other matches.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
this actually is much better than I thought it would be.

Basically $200 a day and a room to sleep in. Like someone mentioned get a friend to do it with you and have them put you in the same room.

My guess is you are not going to be working opening to close so probably have some time to watch some other matches.
Also, they only need the refs for the first phase. The single elimination is all higher refs, I believe.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if the deal suits you then go for it. some will.

but if they want people they have to specify exactly what you get and how long you work and when your deal ends and what you are supposed to do about your room from there. if they dont then you know it is so bad.
maybe you work two long days and its over and you lose the right to the room.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

After you charge the players for tilting the rack for them you should be good!

Island Drive

Silver Member
Also, they only need the refs for the first phase. The single elimination is all higher refs, I believe.
So if you ref for 3 days, then what? Do you pay/the weekend room rates?
Do you book your flight out the 3rd day?
Do you get room and the daily per-diem if you decide to stay till the finals?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
So if you ref for 3 days, then what? Do you pay/the weekend room rates?
Do you book your flight out the 3rd day?
Do you get room and the daily per-diem if you decide to stay till the finals?

You'll probably get a signed tee-shirt you can mow the grass in.