Remind me again why?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learn something before you throw it out there knocking pool!!

The league signed a three-year contract with ESPN to air its events and has brought on sponsors like sausage company Johnsonville, grill manufacturer Nexgrill, cornhole equipment maker All Cornhole and financial services company Raging Bull.Aug 18, 2018
It will grow to the point that someone will be complaining that cornhole is to easy for the pros. Then they will want to make the corn hole tighter

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Too many shady people in my opinion. From buying/selling cues, running tournaments, and to working on tables the industry is ripe with people who scam others or don't follow thru on work. I can't image most companies outside of the industry who would want to sponsor players or tournaments.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Too many shady people in my opinion. From buying/selling cues, running tournaments, and to working on tables the industry is ripe with people who scam others or don't follow thru on work. I can't image most companies outside of the industry who would want to sponsor players or tournaments.
Good think we're not counting on your imagination then!

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Good think we're not counting on your imagination then!
Not counting on me for anything. You asked a question, I gave an answer that is my opinion. Since you think you have all the answers, why not start a pro tour and run as you see you fit. Get the sponsors, get the venues, run the tournaments.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Not counting on me for anything. You asked a question, I gave an answer that is my opinion. Since you think you have all the answers, why not start a pro tour and run as you see you fit. Get the sponsors, get the venues, run the tournaments.
I'm working on that right now, but just to be clear, I have no plans of running a Pro Tour, that system is broken!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
How many people do you know who became a multimillionaire solely from his or her involvement in the pool industry?
There are many! Here's just a few - Danny Janes, Billy Stroud, Terry Bell and Larry Hubbart, Greg Sullivan, Mark Griffin, Barry Szamboti, Ernie Gutierrez, Tad Kohara and the list goes on and on. Many room owners (most with multiple rooms) became mutli millionaires. Out here in California the first family that comes to mind is the Markulis family, who owned three pool rooms - two named Hard Times and Varsity Billiards. All were super successful. Me personally, I did not become financially secure from pool, but I used the money I made from my poolrooms to invest in real estate and did pretty well for myself there.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many! Here's just a few - Danny Janes, Billy Stroud, Terry Bell and Larry Hubbart, Greg Sullivan, Mark Griffin, Barry Szamboti, Ernie Gutierrez, Tad Kohara and the list goes on and on. Many room owners (most with multiple rooms) became mutli millionaires. Out here in California the first family that comes to mind is the Markulis family, who owned three pool rooms - two named Hard Times and Varsity Billiards. All were super successful. Me personally, I did not become financially secure from pool, but I used the money I made from my poolrooms to invest in real estate and did pretty well for myself there.
Jay,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. Full disclosure, my question was a little bit of a sandbag. The next question I was going to ask was, "How many multimillionaire pro football players do you know?" I was trying to establish a quantifiable contrast.

I don't think pool is irredeemable, but I do think that the type and level of competition for available entertainment dollars, i.e. pro football, pro golf, etc., as it exists today is indefensibly overpowering. Add video games and corn hole, and pool doesn't stand a chance.

How many employees does Barry Szamboti keep on his payroll. Does he contribute to their 401K? Does he pay their insurance? Annual vacation? Do his employees have a future in the industry?

For every pro football player, how many families receive benefits similar to the ones I just mentioned because of their involvement in their industry?

Pool is a Mom and Pop business. It swims along right on the surface, knowing that it can go under at any time.

To this fragile mix, add a few questionable characters, and I have to wonder, what Mom would ever encourage her daughter to learn how to play pool?

The aura and odor of pool today is just offensive. Years ago, there was enough of a rebel's mystique to keep the stench under wraps. Those days are over.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are absolutely correct, however it needs to be noted these accomplishments were 30 years ago. That opportunity is long gone as we have discussed privately. 😀

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Jay,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. Full disclosure, my question was a little bit of a sandbag. The next question I was going to ask was, "How many multimillionaire pro football players do you know?" I was trying to establish a quantifiable contrast.

I don't think pool is irredeemable, but I do think that the type and level of competition for available entertainment dollars, i.e. pro football, pro golf, etc., as it exists today is indefensibly overpowering. Add video games and corn hole, and pool doesn't stand a chance.

How many employees does Barry Szamboti keep on his payroll. Does he contribute to their 401K? Does he pay their insurance? Annual vacation? Do his employees have a future in the industry?

For every pro football player, how many families receive benefits similar to the ones I just mentioned because of their involvement in their industry?

Pool is a Mom and Pop business. It swims along right on the surface, knowing that it can go under at any time.

To this fragile mix, add a few questionable characters, and I have to wonder, what Mom would ever encourage her daughter to learn how to play pool?

The aura and odor of pool today is just offensive. Years ago, there was enough of a rebel's mystique to keep the stench under wraps. Those days are over.
So in other words, pool can't in YOU eyes, be successful unless the players are making as much money as Pro Football players make? Why do pool players need to be compared to other sports and rank right up there with them to be considered successful? Can't successful pool players just be happy making a million a year, at the top of their game that is. When was the last time you saw a pool player taking a knee during the playing of the national anthem? Or a pool player on a multi-milliion dollar contract to play football....still go to prison for selling drugs, or committing murder? According to your standards, even snooker world champions don't make shit for a living!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Jay,

How many of those football players you like to give reference to....go out a and take to the field of play alone? You want to compare team sports success to pool? Put ONE player on a team, make them play alone, then see how they do!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Jay,

And I hate to break the bad news to you, but no American sports athletes hold the highest paying sports contracts, so I guess football is in the gutters!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Jay,

And come to think of it, how well would football, baseball, and basketball be doing if those teams only got paid based on games won, but got paid nothing if they lost?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I didn’t think it could be possible, but this shit is even dumber than the aiming arguments.
That's because thats the most intelligent conversation you could possibly add, would have been better to say nothing at all, rather than show you have nothing to contribute! But, I know you didn't want to be left out😅🤣

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts that I have shared before: I would like to see the "ufc" approach. When I first started watching ufc in 1993, it was only LEGAL in a handful of states. Now it is a billion dollar company with multiple airings weekly on ESPN prime time.

How did they get there? I agree there needs to be ONE controlling organization, with a vocal and visible President ala Dana White, with some industry muscle in the background like the fertita brothers were for ufc.

Put the idea of a tour on hold, for now. Instead focus all marketing on 18-45 year old males. Then find that elusive, edgy TV station willing to take a chance on some reality programming.

Bring 20 of the young, talented pros together and stick them in a mansion in Vegas. Plenty of free alcohol. Two coaches...I would likely go with JJ vs. Earl...they have history.

Each week the winning coach chooses a game and match up. The editing is key, as each match has to LOOK epic on tv. You need a good producer who can really highlight the real life struggles of these players holding on to a fading way of life on the road, chasing a dollar in a pool hall.

The more fights, trash talk, broken cues, etc., the better. People love watching train wrecks.

It all culminates with live semifinal and final matches from Ceasars in Vegas. Maybe get Joe Rogan to do a live podcast from the arena...also maybe he could get some of his celebrity friends to show up so that at random times throughout the broadcast, the camera can focus on a celeb and their date out enjoying a night of pro pool.

The winner gets a championship belt, a guaranteed 6 figure contract, and sits atop the challenge pyramid where once a month pyramid challenges take place on ppv.

Build the sport and brand around the characters...the athletes...not the game itself. When the sponsorship money from dogecoin, monster energy, and RKC Blue adhesive starts rolling in, then you branch out and look at tours and such...

Alright...there's the winning formula. Ima be pi$$Ed if one of you rascals steal my idea without cutting me in on it :)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
My thoughts that I have shared before: I would like to see the "ufc" approach. When I first started watching ufc in 1993, it was only LEGAL in a handful of states. Now it is a billion dollar company with multiple airings weekly on ESPN prime time.

How did they get there? I agree there needs to be ONE controlling organization, with a vocal and visible President ala Dana White, with some industry muscle in the background like the fertita brothers were for ufc.

Put the idea of a tour on hold, for now. Instead focus all marketing on 18-45 year old males. Then find that elusive, edgy TV station willing to take a chance on some reality programming.

Bring 20 of the young, talented pros together and stick them in a mansion in Vegas. Plenty of free alcohol. Two coaches...I would likely go with JJ vs. Earl...they have history.

Each week the winning coach chooses a game and match up. The editing is key, as each match has to LOOK epic on tv. You need a good producer who can really highlight the real life struggles of these players holding on to a fading way of life on the road, chasing a dollar in a pool hall.

The more fights, trash talk, broken cues, etc., the better. People love watching train wrecks.

It all culminates with live semifinal and final matches from Ceasars in Vegas. Maybe get Joe Rogan to do a live podcast from the arena...also maybe he could get some of his celebrity friends to show up so that at random times throughout the broadcast, the camera can focus on a celeb and their date out enjoying a night of pro pool.

The winner gets a championship belt, a guaranteed 6 figure contract, and sits atop the challenge pyramid where once a month pyramid challenges take place on ppv.

Build the sport and brand around the characters...the athletes...not the game itself. When the sponsorship money from dogecoin, monster energy, and RKC Blue adhesive starts rolling in, then you branch out and look at tours and such...

Alright...there's the winning formula. Ima be pi$$Ed if one of you rascals steal my idea without cutting me in on it :)
Great idea, but how does that support the top 128 Professional players in North America monthly?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

How does that send customers back into pool rooms to practice to get better? How does that give up coming players a chance to earn a living, and keep getting better and better along the way?