Reminder Mosconi cup

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey needs to spend less time at the gym and more time with the books. Numbers seem to be out of his grasp at this point. He’s got the colors
6 Ball falls on the break, but no pocket for the 1!

Filler tries a tough thin cut combo but misses.

Pretty open table if they do what they are supposed to.

SVB looks like, well, SVB. Looks pretty solid right now.

Cory again looks like a APA SL 5 and leaves SVB a tough bank on the 9!!!

SVB leaves a full table bank for the match..

Euros win. Thanks Cory
How in the world does Cory pocket I assume the 8 and leave Shane a tough bank on the 9?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got that backwards. Shane ran into the nine coming off of the 8 and left Corey a difficult bank. Corey banked it and left it middle back rail and Europe banked it in for the win. I was really surprised Shane didn't play two rails with inside to come out for the nine since the eight was directly to the side of the nine.

Jaden
Really? My bad for sure then. And I apologize to Cory. Dang it SVB!

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
It's hard to over exaggerate how bad Cory's shot was on the 8. 8 on the rail 2 feet from the corner with a nice angle. 9 ball around the foot spot. Literally the ENTIRE table would have left SVB an easy win. He pockets the 8 and slowly runs into the 9, leaving SVB on the 50 yard line...amazing.
Again, that was Shane's shot on the eight, not Corey's...

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
How in the world does Cory pocket I assume the 8 and leave Shane a tough bank on the 9?
I think Shane meant to have more draw on it and slide past the nine. There's so much pressure here it's hard to imagine. I know in the tourneys that I play in, I do things when I get tight from pressure that I would never do otherwise. When you play scared, you're going to make those stupid mistakes you wouldn't otherwise.

All this shows is that they're human and it takes the Mosconi cup pressure to initiate these types of mistakes from the best.

I mean that previous rack was crazy how scared they were playing. Both Gorst/Filler AND Shane/Corey.

Jaden

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Shane meant to have more draw on it and slide past the nine. There's so much pressure here it's hard to imagine. I know in the tourneys that I play in, I do things when I get tight from pressure that I would never do otherwise. When you play scared, you're going to make those stupid mistakes you wouldn't otherwise.

All this shows is that they're human and it takes the Mosconi cup pressure to initiate these types of mistakes from the best.

I mean that previous rack was crazy how scared they were playing. Both Gorst/Filler AND Shane/Corey.

Jaden
The pressure of scotch doubles format is so different than a one-on-one match, but still no excuse for what sounds like a completely unforced error for a player or players at this level.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
On to doubles in Match 2.

Filler/Gorst break and run in rack one to take a 1-0 lead over SVB/Deuel.

Rack 2 was a tug of war dictated by the fact that the three ball was tied up in knots. Filler played what appeared to be an excellent safety on the three, sending the three uptable and leaving the cue ball on the bottom rail, but the ball went into the side, so it was back to safety play. Europe earned the first shot, but Filler's miss brought SVB to the table. Shane made the five but scratchds. With ball in hand, Gorst made the five nine combo to close out the rack and Europe took a 2-0 lead in this match. It was a missed opportunity for Team USA in this rack for sure.

Very pretty run out by Europe in Rack 3. Gorst misplayed shape onto the seven, but a masterful long two rail inside english follow by Filler restored order, and Europe took a 3-0 lead.

Deuel broke dry in rack 4, Gorst played safe on the one ball, but it was a poor shot, leaving SVB a look at the one ball. SVB played a solid safety from there, The rack then became a comedy of errors by both sides, but Shane's miss of the eight resulted in a snooker as the eight got just the right carom of the side pocket point, and when Europe failed to kick it in, it was a fitting end to a bizarre rack of nine ball.

Europe won the first tree racks and US the fourth. I think I've seen this before.

Rack 5 began with Deuel's miss of a near hanger on the two, but it went in a different pocket. SVB's safety was just barely passable, and safety play continued. Filler missed an easy three and SVB's effort is again only so-so. Deuel's safety on the three ball is excellent, but Filler jumps his way out of it. SVB tries to jump in the three and misses. Gorst makes another error, followed by a Deuel error in which he double kisses on an attempted safety. More misses ensue, but it is Team USA that ultimately prevails in what was surely one of the worst played racks in Mosconi history.

In Rack 6, a really wild shot by Deuel opened the door for Team Europe, and Filler/Gorst ran it out impressively for a 4-2 lead. Glad to see some better pool at this point.

In rack 7, SVB and Deuel are successful running up to the eight, but SVB only leaves Corey a tough bank on the nine.. Corey misses it on the pro side, leaving Gorst tough, but Fedor is up to the long bank, edning the match 5-2, and typing the Mosconi Cup at 1-1.

So far, the climactic moment in both matches was a long bank by a Mosconi rookie.

This match was, quite simply, a stinker, in which all four players made many errors.

Finally, I think I'm going to be sick of these commentators don't stop making excuses for the players as we must all endure this unusually poor play. while taking it in stride. Unlike every other year, these players didn't get here by playing good pool during the months leading up to the Mosconi Cup, so the commentators should just grin and bear it.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
It's hard to over exaggerate how bad SVBs shot was on the 8. 8 on the rail 2 feet from the corner with a nice angle. 9 ball around the foot spot. Literally the ENTIRE table would have left Coryan easy win. He pockets the 8 and slowly runs into the 9, leaving Coryon the 50 yard line...amazing.
That might be a slight exaggeration. a couple of millimeters in either direction and it would've nudged the nine perfectly towards a pocket. It was unnecessary but understandable given the circumstances.

Jaden

racetoday

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That match was the worst I've seen in a long time from both sides.... only reason Filler/Gorst won that is that as bad as they played Corey and Shane outdid them.

Part of its nerves, but I think a lot is this very fast tight table getting inside their heads.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That might be a slight exaggeration. a couple of millimeters in either direction and it would've nudged the nine perfectly towards a pocket. It was unnecessary but understandable given the circumstances.

Jaden
Fair enough. But like you said, as CJ says, a touch of inside would have likely given a shot on the 9 ball in any of the six pockets

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rack 2.

Good safe by Robinson. Kaci jumps at it but misses, leaving Robinson a shot at the 1

Over run position slightly on the 5 and gets tough on the 6. He makes a nice shot on it and finishes off the rack to tie it up.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey needs to spend less time at the gym and more time with the books. Numbers seem to be out of his grasp at this point. He’s got the colors down cold though.
Reading this thread, I’m having a little trouble figuring out what Joey (I assume referring to assistant captain Joey Gray) has to do with a match in progress?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rack 3

1 and 6 fall, but a he has a tough cut on the 2. Timeout for wildlife on the table.

CR makes a nice shot but over runs position again and leaves a steep angle on the 3...which he promptly misses and leaves Kaci a wide open runout.

2-1 Kaci

Kaci looks really solid

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Probably irrelevant, but are the side pocket folds done differently? Or just really tight? Looked different on the stream. I do not have a picture either.