Removed the wrap on a vintage cue and found...

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It SURE was a shame for that original wrap to come off such a good, great looking survivor.
Likely was a good reason, I’d like to hear about it, thanks.
Will Prout

Will I agree that indeed it was a shame to have to remove the wrap, and there is a reason that I didn't show the entire cue. This is why anyone buying a vintage cue should ask as many questions possible prior to purchase as pictures can often be misleading as to the actual condition of a cue. In this particular case I bought the cue knowing full well that the wrap was going to have to be replaced, and posted pictures that were intended for the discussion of its history. That being said I understand the frustration considering the potential of the cues provenance. I can assure you that the best care is being taken to preserve this cue no expense spared.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
maybe when you want some help or suggestions from people give complete information and dont make it vague on purpose. as then you are using others for your own purposes.
if you are trying to hide something go elsewhere and ask.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Will I agree that indeed it was a shame to have to remove the wrap, and there is a reason that I didn't show the entire cue. This is why anyone buying a vintage cue should ask as many questions possible prior to purchase as pictures can often be misleading as to the actual condition of a cue. In this particular case I bought the cue knowing full well that the wrap was going to have to be replaced, and posted pictures that were intended for the discussion of its history. That being said I understand the frustration considering the potential of the cues provenance. I can assure you that the best care is being taken to preserve this cue no expense spared.
The wrap is actually one of the things that could have been used to identify it as a possible Gus or defiantly not. He did his different than almost anyone else so it is a great place to start.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The wrap is actually one of the things that could have been used to identify it as a possible Gus or defiantly not. He did his different than almost anyone else so it is a great place to start.
Didn't he like to use cortland when thay were still active, and then penn linen later on.

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks to be cortland #9. This cue was wrapped from the butt forward counter clockwise if that helps.

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
56F7A8EE-C3F1-4D87-9748-43E119E3288B.jpg

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Could be a Gus. The tilt of the winding is opposite on most all other cues. Almost all cue makers back then, and now too really, wrapped from the joint to the butt. the string climbs up hill naturally and most people go left to right. Your picture is the Gus style. Remind me to kick you in the ass for removing it.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are there any scratches in the wrap groove that the green thread might be filling?