Removed the wrap on a vintage cue and found...

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a signature but a piece of green thread intentionally tied to the butt under the wrap. What could it possibly signify?
E9C4550C-04E4-473D-B143-FD9A85BF9B46.jpeg

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
A marker, to designate what the original wrap was intended to be, but it was done on a Friday afternoon.

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd call it slop.
I thought of that potential but it's less plausible to be accidental considering the maker and the timeframe. My best guess is that the cue was inspected by Doc Frye and given a pass of quality which was represented by the simonis thread and the maker left it in place when he wrapped it but that's just speculation.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A marker if ever stolen.
Why not remove the bumper and mark it ...stamp paint. That would be something if u were sure the cue was Your stolen cue. So u have the guy cut off his wrap just to find out it isnt your cue. Just one just like it.

If your having a expensive cue made. Just have your initials inscribed small in an un assuming spot on the end of the butcap or joint collar.

As long as it's not huge and readable unless your looking for it up close. It's not going to affect the resale

Last edited:

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
O

Original Balabushka obviously.
Many would argue better, if this is the same cue that he posted in the gallery.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many would argue better, if this is the same cue that he posted in the gallery.

I doubt anybody would be dumb enough to remove an original wrap from a beautiful vintage survivor like that one. If that is the same cue and in fact the original wrap was stripped away, WOW what a shame. I hope that's a different cue. If it's the same cue I'm both discusted and sad at the same time. Please tell me it is NOT the one in the pictures below?

20DC72A3-6898-4610-AB05-1130D999E5CE.jpeg52C7AFFF-47E3-4502-AD7E-0B48330349C6.jpeg477F5B30-8388-43E0-A7F3-52304BFFF3ED.jpegAA5173FD-C03D-4BA1-85E0-AF72BAE98B21.jpeg

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt anybody would be dumb enough to remove an original wrap from a beautiful vintage survivor like that one. If that is the same cue and in fact the original wrap was stripped away, WOW what a shame. I hope that's a different cue. If it's the same cue I'm both discusted and sad at the same time. Please tell me it is NOT the one in the pictures below?
You know responses like this without understanding the full situation are part of the reason why I don't post much. I think a better approach to the feelings you are having would be to reach out in pm rather than public name calling as it may yield more clarification and less hostility.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
You know responses like this without understanding the full situation are part of the reason why I don't post much. I think a better approach to the feelings you are having would be to reach out in pm rather than public name calling as it may yield more clarification and less hostility.
Perhaps your right. What is the full situation? I take it this was in fact the cue? I questioned weather anybody would do that. So let me ask, if you do that kind of thing to such a lovely bit of un molested cue history and then mention that you did it.. Would you not expect someone to find it to be questionable thinking and hard in fact to even believe? Apparently you chose to do so which is your right, But you also chose to make it publicly known here. I chose to question the intelligence involved in doing so and truly doubted the likelihood. So I will just ask, Why did you do that?
If you feel like sharing I would be very interested in knowing the full situation. And for the record I too have made plenty of regrettable decisions involving all kinds of things. It is currently my opinion this was not a good decision, It's sad to see the old goodies get un needed restorations or modifications. Maybe you had a very compelling reason. I simply shared my opinion. was I wrong?

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Perhaps your right. What is the full situation? I take it this was in fact the cue? I questioned weather anybody would do that. So let me ask, if you do that kind of thing to such a lovely bit of un molested cue history and then mention that you did it.. Would you not expect someone to find it to be questionable thinking and hard in fact to even believe? Apparently you chose to do so which is your right, But you also chose to make it publicly known here. I chose to question the intelligence involved in doing so and truly doubted the likelihood. So I will just ask, Why did you do that?
If you feel like sharing I would be very interested in knowing the full situation. And for the record I too have made plenty of regrettable decisions involving all kinds of things. It is currently my opinion this was not a good decision, It's sad to see the old goodies get un needed restorations or modifications. Maybe you had a very compelling reason. I simply shared my opinion. was I wrong?
It SURE was a shame for that original wrap to come off such a good, great looking survivor.
Likely was a good reason, I’d like to hear about it, thanks.
Will Prout