Resources to teach jumping

Spantiznik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have a good jump cue with a good jump tip (most important) the cue ball almost jumps by it self. I like the dart method but it is not as accurate as other methods.

Kim

What type of tip ?

Would this be the same type of tip that you would have on a Breaking Cue ?

Joelh

Registered
Thanks For The Videos

I just want to thank Big Arm for starting this thread and Pulzcul & Cigar Dave for the links.

I've never been able to jump, but after watching those videos and twenty minutes of practice I was able to jump with my playing cue (I don't have a jump cue).

The loose grip is extremely important.

Thanks Again!:thumbup:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of learning hints that others haven't mentioned yet...

1) the tip should go through the CB to the cloth...not a stabbing motion. Imagine the tip penetrating the top of the CB, and coming out the back side.

2) angle the jump cue, based on how close you are to the OB to be jumped...the closer you are, the steeper the angle. The CB will leave the table at the same angle it goes into the table.

3) keep your elbow (grip hand) in close to your body. This works well for underhand jumping, or dart style.

4) keep a very loose grip. It's the lightness of the jumpcue that allows it to 'get out of the way'. A tight grip will not aid in jumping.

Hope this helps...

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
A couple of learning hints that others haven't mentioned yet...

1) the tip should go through the CB to the cloth...not a stabbing motion. Imagine the tip penetrating the top of the CB, and coming out the back side.

2) angle the jump cue, based on how close you are to the OB to be jumped...the closer you are, the steeper the angle. The CB will leave the table at the same angle it goes into the table.

3) keep your elbow (grip hand) in close to your body. This works well for underhand jumping, or dart style.

4) keep a very loose grip. It's the lightness of the jumpcue that allows it to 'get out of the way'. A tight grip will not aid in jumping.

Hope this helps...

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
Good list Scott.

FYI to people interested, various elements of jump shot technique are summarized and demonstrated in the following video:

and other info and examples can be found here:

Enjoy,
Dave

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
What type of tip ?

Would this be the same type of tip that you would have on a Breaking Cue ?

I made the cue, the Tip used is a solid phenolic ferrule / tip combination on a flat laminated shaft that is approximately 13.5 mm in diameter.

Hope this helps

Big Arm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boy, I am beginning to feel like a remedial student because I am not finding it that easy! I did not get to practice yesterday as we decided to go bar hopping!

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
When using the dart method, you almost throw the jump cue at the cue ball... the grip should be that loose.

You almost momentarily lose touch/contact with the cue.

xxroodoggxx

xxroodoggxx
Silver Member
Thx 4 this post. I read and watched these vids because I've never been able 2 jump very good (1st two attempts usually fly off table) but using this dart method was really easy and I was able too jump as close as 5-6 inches. Thx again for this great info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. **roo$t@r**

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
When using the dart method, you almost throw the jump cue at the cue ball... the grip should be that loose.

You almost momentarily lose touch/contact with the cue.

Not entirely true.

You can jump with a very tight grip but you should have a loose grip. The technique is in the follow through. A tight grip makes it very hard to follow through properly.

The stroking procedure through is pretty much the same as when you play normally.

The only time you want to throw the cue as if you are throwing a dart is when the balls are very close, like a a chalk's width. Then you must let the cue do the work because no matter what any other type of grip will be too heavy handed and inadvertently put the tip into the wrong position.

The closer to the ball the lighter the grip. You can jump a dollar bill's width if you master the art of of letting the cue go right before it hits the ball. I have seen it done on a $500 bet.