Return to senders

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
I love hearing stories about people putting packages on someone and then have them fire back just as good or better back at em. Let's hear some stories!!!

I will start off. IIRC A local pro here in az that is known for his one pocket prowess is playing a bar table tourny I was running. He matches up with another fantastic player here visiting, it's a race to 7 on a diamond bar table. Local guy starts off with a 3 pack and breaks the cue ball off the table,the visitor runs out and puts 4 more behind it to go up 5-3 and breaks dry. Local pro proceeds to run out and finishes off the set 7-5 with 3 more break and runs... Pretty f'in awesome to watch pool like that. I love when two players go to war like that. Let's hear some war stories!!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing a guy even 9 ball race to 5.
I break the first game and run 4 racks.
I lose the set 5 to 4. Go figure.:eek:

gergs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A week ago a friend (mid master) and I (A player) were playing. He runs out first 2 breaks dry I run out and break and run next 2 I break dry he runs out and breaks and run. E.R.O.'s kept coming for both for the next few hours.

This last Friday we played a set (he will only play cheap with me. Nice of him) and I took it 5-2. Wasn't a big money match or nothing but it feels nice to win against a much better player.

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
A week ago a friend (mid master) and I (A player) were playing. He runs out first 2 breaks dry I run out and break and run next 2 I break dry he runs out and breaks and run. E.R.O.'s kept coming for both for the next few hours.

This last Friday we played a set (he will only play cheap with me. Nice of him) and I took it 5-2. Wasn't a big money match or nothing but it feels nice to win against a much better player.

I love matches like that. Both people playing well. It is a buzz kill when I just smash on people ( or get smashed on) and they get all quiet. I love the chest pounding hill hill break and run stuff. I could care less if I ever get to shortstop speed or better, I just LOVE to battle! (with good people, I hate people who slam balls or whatever when they lose a game to a roll or whatever)

Roadie

Banned
I love hearing stories about people putting packages on someone and then have them fire back just as good or better back at em. Let's hear some stories!!!

I will start off. IIRC A local pro here in az that is known for his one pocket prowess is playing a bar table tourny I was running. He matches up with another fantastic player here visiting, it's a race to 7 on a diamond bar table. Local guy starts off with a 3 pack and breaks the cue ball off the table,the visitor runs out and puts 4 more behind it to go up 5-3 and breaks dry. Local pro proceeds to run out and finishes off the set 7-5 with 3 more break and runs... Pretty f'in awesome to watch pool like that. I love when two players go to war like that. Let's hear some war stories!!

Best one I saw was a tournament race to five. One player was at the table early and hitting balls. The other player was late. Just minutes before he would have to forfeit the late player shows up. They lag and the early player wins the lag and runs four racks and breaks dry. The late player then steps up after only having hit the lag and runs that rack and four more from the break to win the set.

gergs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a quick question. How good is a "short-stop" and why are they called "short-stops"?

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a quick question. How good is a "short-stop" and why are they called "short-stops"?

I was considered a short stop. In my best days (1980's) I could run 1 to 5 racks of 9 ball here and there and was good for some 50 to 60 ball runs in straight pool here and there. I played world champions of the day with either the 7 or 8 playing 9 ball and straight pool 100 to 70 or so.The differance between me and the big boys is they did it more often.
I don't remember what short stop means.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shortstop = guy in middle of field you get though to get to the pros.

It's a player probably in the high A or Open rank that is just under a good Pro. In the Wed Snookers tournament in RI Mike Dechaine plays. The guys that come in 2nd, 3rd, 4th to him when he wins would be the "shortstops".

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shortstop = guy in middle of field you get though to get to the pros.

It's a player probably in the high A or Open rank that is just under a good Pro. In the Wed Snookers tournament in RI Mike Dechaine plays. The guys that come in 2nd, 3rd, 4th to him when he wins would be the "shortstops".

That sounds about right. I like your explanation.

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was considered a short stop. In my best days (1980's) I could run 1 to 5 racks of 9 ball here and there and was good for some 50 to 60 ball runs in straight pool here and there. I played world champions of the day with either the 7 or 8 playing 9 ball and straight pool 100 to 70 or so.The differance between me and the big boys is they did it more often.

Makes me feel better about our straight pool game outcomes. I've never reached the level of short stop consistently. At my best I could hang with a short stop but now I consider myself a B player. And I'm being kind to myself. If Ernie or Pete or George or Gus couldn't turn me into a champion with their magic wands, perhaps a Lucasi would.

Looking forward to doing battle again with you.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes me feel better about our straight pool game outcomes. I've never reached the level of short stop consistently. At my best I could hang with a short stop but now I consider myself a B player. And I'm being kind to myself. If Ernie or Pete or George or Gus couldn't turn me into a champion with their magic wands, perhaps a Lucasi would.

Looking forward to doing battle again with you.

Every Saturday at Felt. Or by appointment other times. You are the only one I know that wants to play 14.1. and I really enjoy the game. It makes me think.9 ball and 10 ball do not require a lot of thinking,at least not for me.

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
Table was 9 foot GC.
The guy I was playing was pretty darn good.

Sound like both of you can get down pretty good. I wish more players here would match up like that. Every one here is scared to lose. Except the hardcore Bad asses and the guys that will only play if they are stealing lol.

I play a guy here in AZ that's pretty f'in strong. I think he won the 07 Illinois masters. Last time we played he got 1 game ahead after 2-3 hours giving me the 7 and the breaks. He is an animal lol.
I am in the middle ground between A and B. If an A player gives me the 9 playing 10 ball I win. Even I lose. Badly lol.

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member

Impressive resume lol. I don't play much 14.1, but I when the off chance I get to play I can usually put down mid 30s to 40 run when I get an open table. How long you been playing, if you dont mind me asking?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Impressive resume lol. I don't play much 14.1, but I when the off chance I get to play I can usually put down mid 30s to 40 run when I get an open table. How long you been playing, if you dont mind me asking?

About 52 years :eek:
Geez that sounds terrible.
A 30 or 40 ball run in straight pool is pretty good. You know we hear all about the 200+ runs that we lose sight that those guys don't do that every time they step to the table.
Consider this-an old time very good player who played against Caras,Mosconi and the best of that era told me that Ralph Greenleaf did not play much better then the other guys but he played safe much better and most of the time would beat them to the shot.True? I don't know.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sound like both of you can get down pretty good. I wish more players here would match up like that. Every one here is scared to lose. Except the hardcore Bad asses and the guys that will only play if they are stealing lol.

I play a guy here in AZ that's pretty f'in strong. I think he won the 07 Illinois masters. Last time we played he got 1 game ahead after 2-3 hours giving me the 7 and the breaks. He is an animal lol.
I am in the middle ground between A and B. If an A player gives me the 9 playing 10 ball I win. Even I lose. Badly lol.

Back in the day when I could play pretty good and used to gamble I would play anybody I did not know. If you walked into the room and wanted to play I was up for it. Won some and lost some.It was fun.

Tiddler

AzB Silver Haired Member
Silver Member
12 1/2 Racks

Years ago in the 70's I was Burlington, Iowa at pool hall owned by 'Artie'. A guy walked in looking for a game so Artie took him on playing 9 ball 7 ahead for a grand. Soon enough Artie was 6 up and missed a ball. The road player went into the bathroom for about 15 minutes. Somebody asked what he was doing in there and I said, "Every pill he can find in his pockets." Finally he came out and ran what was left of that rack and the next 12 racks to win. Artie mumbled something about never playing another road player again and paid off. The next day a 16 year old kid in Illinois beat the same road player 2 sets at $100 each. I think the chemicals had worn off by then...