REWARD + GoFundMe Acct. to catch Mike Surber's murderer

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just curious about something that's possibly pertinent in these tragic and yet-unsolved cases of capital crimes:

Are law enforcement systems in place such that "Wanted" posters are routinely, and widely, circulated to plastic surgeons here and abroad? (An internet search yielded no information about my exact question -- possibly there's good reason not to have such mechanisms described in detail.)

I do realize that to-date only indistinct and unhelpful images of possible suspects in Mike's case exist. And that the cretin who murdered him would likely not be able to afford the services of a facial surgeon, but we never know.

Arnaldo ~ Altering fingerprints (a la Dillinger) is yet another matter sometimes.

At least a good thought! Something else your post made me think about, after this long digital aging software, which I am pretty sure exists, wouldn't be a bad idea.

We are grasping at straws but it only takes one if it is the right straw!

Hu

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Ocean City, MS where crime happened is small, so I would assume they do not have the resource like say the NYPD, LAPD.

This case is 10 years old, a cold case. All they need is one good tip from the public.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At least a good thought! Something else your post made me think about, after this long digital aging software, which I am pretty sure exists, wouldn't be a bad idea.

We are grasping at straws but it only takes one if it is the right straw!

Hu
It definitely exists. FBI and regional & national homicide investigators have been using digital-aging for several decades.

Avid viewers of police procedural TV series have become layman-fluent in it, as are moviegoers (as featured in dozens of films about terrorists, child abductions, Secret Service cases.)

Milk carton pleas relating to missing children often have "then-now" images (digitally-conjectured "now" images).

A corresponding digital technique can -- for a given suspect or perp's photo -- project thousands of possible disguises, artificial nose, ears, facial hair & makeup possibilities. This was widely seen in the Secret Service-centric film "In the Line of Fire" and a number of Tom Clancy books made into popular films.

Arnaldo

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would have liked Mike. He loved to play pool and learn/teach new shots with other pool players. He was a deceptively strong player, especially at One Pocket. He never bragged about his game and was quick to complement others. He is missed and loved by so many because he was such a kind, gentle and humble man.
Nice comments, Jay. Mike had the talent, heart and demeanor that many of us would love to have. He worked full time, but took his vacation days every year for the DCC, where he was a threat to beat just about anyone. In fact he finished very high up in both 1P and banks several times. Whether Mike could have ever risen to the very top if he had been a full time pro player, it's hard to say. But no one was more knowledgeable than he, nor was tougher to beat.

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi fellas-- Mike was murdered in his home in Ocean Springs, Miss. in 2009. But the case is still very much open at both the OSPD and the FBI. My personal hunch is that his murderer is either dead or in penitentiary in some state that does not have DNA files on their inmates, or has a reciprocity agreement. We still hope and pray that the perp is identified and caught, but of course the odds keep rising every year.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi fellas-- Mike was murdered in his home in Ocean Springs, Miss. in 2009. But the case is still very much open at both the OSPD and the FBI. My personal hunch is that his murderer is either dead or in penitentiary in some state that does not have DNA files on their inmates, or has a reciprocity agreement. We still hope and pray that the perp is identified and caught, but of course the odds keep rising every year.
Somebody knows who he is and so far they aren't talking. How big is the reward money?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
There is no statutes of limitation on murder one case. If they catch the suspect any where he will be heading back to face justice.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
This month, I have written the Mayor's office in Ocean Springs and also the Mississippi Department of Public Safety, Cold Case Unit about Michael Surber's case and asked how this relatively new technology of combining DNA and Genealogy research that has been in the news all this month. I asked them what would it take to get them to use this DNA/Genealogy forensic tool to be used on Mike's case. If they respond, I'll let you all know what they say.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
This month, I have written the Mayor's office in Ocean Springs and also the Mississippi Department of Public Safety, Cold Case Unit about Michael Surber's case and asked how this relatively new technology of combining DNA and Genealogy research that has been in the news all this month. I asked them what would it take to get them to use this DNA/Genealogy forensic tool to be used on Mike's case. If they respond, I'll let you all know what they say.

Well I hope the public officials that receive your letter at the very least acknowledge receipt of your letters.

Don’t expect much of response, as the most response might be, something like, we do not comment on active investigations.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Well I hope the public officials that receive your letter at the very least acknowledge receipt of your letters.

Don’t expect much of response, as the most response might be, something like, we do not comment on active investigations.
You might be surprised. Ocean Springs Mississippi ain't New York City and they have been fairly open.

Hu

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Surber's brother, Steve, has put up a $10,000 reward for info leading to info & arrest of Mike's murderer.

We have also opened a "Go Fund Me" account for donations to add to the reward. We are hoping that folks who can spare a few bucks will sweeten the pot so as to re-kindle and sharpen interest in the apprehension of this suspect. The account is:

https://www.gofundme.com/help-find-...m_89_2&rcid=r01-151249854321-634f1936b01f47b2

Steve also has put up a PayPal account for those who prefer that method of donation: paypal.me/pools/c/7ZRWK4xBkh

If the URLs don't link, please copy/paste it into your browser.

In addition the FBI "Seeking Information" page, which also includes a poster for download, is: https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/seeking-info/michael-surber

There is also a Face Book page started by Ray Hansen called "Catch a Killer":
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1514573228867676/

Please forward this information to your friends. Thank you!

Thanks to JAM and my wife for their involvement in this cause which is dear to us all.

~Doc
Doc, you need to get the former Harris County Assistant District Attorney (Kelly Siegler) who now works cold cases (Cold Justice) to get involved. It’s going to take more than money to solve this case. It’s time to get off the dime.

Kelly Siegler is relentless In her pursuit of cold case killers. I practiced law in Houston and she had a reputation of being one tough cookie.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
You might be surprised. Ocean Springs Mississippi ain't New York City and they have been fairly open.

Hu

Well having had a few dealings with Law Enforcrment Agencies, big they are more red tape. Or just no comments.

Also depend on who is asking question.

Bottom line is no statures of limitations on murder, so I am sure Ocean City would like to arrest suspect even if they are out of MS.

All Ocean City PD need it tip on suspects wearabouts.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Another point, the killer just might be reading this thread, keeping tabs on what's going on.

The killer was apparently a pool player and gambler. Odds are he is either dead, in prison for something else, or still around pool and gambling.

Although it might let the killer know the hunt is still on, we have to stir the pot with the police now and then to let them know this killing isn't forgotten. That is still the best hope for justice.

Hu

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I keep hoping. Mike's murder has never made sense to me on so many levels. The basic truth is that a very good soul was taken from us far too soon. The greatest irony is that such a good man was dealt such a shitty hand. One of life's good fortunes that I caught was to count Mike as a friend. Such friends are few and far between.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I keep hoping. Mike's murder has never made sense to me on so many levels. The basic truth is that a very good soul was taken from us far too soon. The greatest irony is that such a good man was dealt such a shitty hand. One of life's good fortunes that I caught was to count Mike as a friend. Such friends are few and far between.

I am genuinely sad about your loss. The loss of a good friend or family member can bite fresh years later and make it feel like yesterday. Why these things happen and who they happen to seldom seems to make sense.

Somebody came up to me in a hospital parking lot asking for five dollars to get gasoline with a few days ago. His appearance was middling, didn't look like a vagrant or a rich man. Without thinking I cracked open a wad of cash I was carrying and gave him a twenty out of the middle, nobody is going far on five dollars today. Almost as soon as I did it I realized that could be a bad move on my part. There was only a few hundred cash in that wad but you never know how much money it takes to be important to someone else.

Hopefully he used the money for gas and to pick up a few things for his mother in the hospital, his claimed need. If not, no big deal. I don't worry about it. I figure better to give to a few shills than to not help somebody in need. I used to hesitate wondering if I was being played for a chump. I don't worry about it anymore, I even tossed a five to a guy that said, "I am not going to lie, I need a beer!"

You might consider a campaign to give to people or worthy causes in Mike's name and keep his name alive in people's minds.

Hu

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody came up to me in a hospital parking lot asking for five dollars to get gasoline with a few days ago. His appearance was middling, didn't look like a vagrant or a rich man. Without thinking I cracked open a wad of cash I was carrying and gave him a twenty out of the middle,
Hu, I loved every sentiment in your post, but if I read the scenario accurately i.e, the guy sees you visibly holding that wad right in front of him then sees you in the process of peeling out a twenty from the wad's abundance.

The "without thinking" appropriately meant to admirably convey your laudable good samaritan generosity & empathy does convey exactly that. But the "without thinking" accurately reflects 100 percent that -- I very well would have given him a fiver in that parking lot -- but no way in hell is he going to clearly see the ample wad of cash (which I similarly always carry).

For that guy you describe, I'd have been "Yeah, I know the feeling, let me see if I have a few bucks." Then always I step about two or three paces away and with my back tuned to him, I pat and visibly rummage thru a couple pockets, seeming to locate the wad, then -- unseen -- peel out whatever I want to hand him (or her sometimes).

I've done exactly that during an act of "street generosity" maybe a dozen times over the years in a Walmart, Costco, Home Depot etc. parking lot (strictly in daylight hours).

Any open way of showing what cash I'm carrying is downright risky -- in a "street" situation with a stranger -- in my opinion, so I'd never "think" of doing so. I've got ultra-vigilant NYC-bred, deeply ingrained instincts about how I go about things like that.

Arnaldo
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Hu, I loved every sentiment in your post, but if I read the scenario accurately i.e, the guy sees you visibly holding that wad right in front of him then sees you in the process of peeling out a twenty from the wad's abundance.

The "without thinking" appropriately meant to admirably convey your laudable good samaritan generosity & empathy does convey exactly that. But the "without thinking" accurately reflects 100 percent that -- I very well would have given him a fiver in that parking lot -- but no way in hell is he going to clearly see the ample wad of cash (which I similarly always carry).

For that guy you describe, I'd have been "Yeah, I know the feeling, let me see if I have a few bucks." Then always I step about two or three paces away and with my back tuned to him, I pat and visibly rummage thru a couple pockets, seeming to locate the wad, then -- unseen -- peel out whatever I want to hand him (or her sometimes).

I've done exactly that during an act of "street generosity" maybe a dozen times over the years in a Walmart, Costco, Home Depot etc. parking lot (strictly in daylight hours).

Any open way of showing what cash I'm carrying is downright risky -- in a "street" situation with a stranger -- in my opinion, so I'd never "think" of doing so. I've got ultra-vigilant NYC-bred, deeply ingrained instincts about how I go about things like that.

Arnaldo
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Arnaldo, the "without thinking" was just meant to convey what it was, a reckless move I made without thought. I don't turn my back on anyone but I have been carrying my pocket cash the same way for over fifty years, from the days I made change out of my pocket. Ones on the outside, no need for a Kansas City bankroll, then from the middle I go five's, tens, twenties, fifties or hundreds in that order if I am toting them although I usually avoid that. I usually reach in my pocket and a quick shuffle with my fingers has me pulling out only what I want to most of the time. I was aware I had made a dummy move instantly and did stay facing the man until he had moved a comfortable distance off. I do use a one inch old fashioned white oak walking cane so I don't appear without defense. Since I would use it as a fighting stick or baton rather than a club to whack people with it really isn't bad unless the other person is toting a gun!

I was doing poorly that morning and was leaving a follow-up to a fairly minor surgery. The surgeon's office was in the hospital and my walking distance had been exceeded pretty severely. I took a fall soon after this encounter in the parking lot we were alone in. Good luck, a vehicle was close and I was able to fall across the vehicle instead of to the ground so no big deal!

For whatever reasons I made a dumbcluck move. Had the man attacked I was near helpless at the moment so neither good reasons or excuses would have mattered. Best I remember, Mike's encounter was late night or after a long day. Mike was surely streetwise but he might have lost focus for a moment himself. Easy for any of us to do and if Mike did he wasn't as lucky as I was to get another chance.

Hu

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I just talked to the OSPD detective assigned to Mike's case. He is determined to catch Mike's killer and believes he will. The investigation is active. He is playing his cards very close to his vest, but that is exactly what we (and Mike) would expect of a good cop. To put it in terms y'all can appreciate, this is grind it out 1P, not a 9B race. Think positive thoughts and say some prayers for Mike's family and the cop and a visitation by divine karma.