Richard Black

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for the year that Richard Black started signing his cues

I'm also assuming that all his cues are still being signed?

I have an early 1979 that has no signature, thinking a possible sale

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance, Billy

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
According to the Blue Book it was 1980 when he started signing. You may want to get a Letter from Mr. Black.

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to the Blue Book it was 1980 when he started signing. You may want to get a Letter from Mr. Black.

Many thanks CueFix, I actually do have a letter of authenticity from Mr Black

Just didn't know how to write in the description if I decide to sell ... why it isn't signed

I understand he now makes so few cues but not sure if he still signed each and every one since 1980?

Again, appreciate the info

Thank you, Billy

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Often times, a cue maker will sign his cues so there is no mistake in who built the cue. Sometimes, a cue may look like another maker's and even be represented as such. The signing takes all of that out of the equation when it is time to sell.

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Often times, a cue maker will sign his cues so there is no mistake in who built the cue. Sometimes, a cue may look like another maker's and even be represented as such. The signing takes all of that out of the equation when it is time to sell.

I do have a letter from Mr Black confirming it's his cue and made mid 1979

Thanks for your input, Billy

clerks37

Pimp Master
Silver Member
Many thanks CueFix, I actually do have a letter of authenticity from Mr Black

Just didn't know how to write in the description if I decide to sell ... why it isn't signed

I understand he now makes so few cues but not sure if he still signed each and every one since 1980?

Again, appreciate the info

Thank you, Billy

I had him build me a cue last year and he did not sign it. I reached out to him, and he said that his hand shakes so bad now days that he doesn't sign anymore. Instead he puts a logo on it with the date.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had him make me a cue in 1978 and another in 1981 and he signed and dated both of them.

I've read that if he thought the cue was going to be bought for resale that he didn't date them.

Speaking of Richard, I just talked to him on the phone yesterday about making me another shaft and I'm going to have him sign and date it if I order it.

https://bluebookofpoolcuevalues.com...rer.aspx?id=RICHARD_BLACK_CUSTOM_CRAFTED_CUES

"Almost all Richard Black cues have been signed on the forearm since 1980. If Richard knew that he was custom-making a cue for a specific individual, he would sign the cue and also include the date that the cue was finished on the forearm. If he knew or sensed that the cue was being purchased for resale, he would sign the cue but not date it. Of course, he was not always correct in his assessment of the situation, so this rule does not hold true 100% of the time."

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I had him make me a cue in 1978 and another in 1981 and he signed and dated both of them.

I've read that if he thought the cue was going to be bought for resale that he didn't date them.

Speaking of Richard, I just talked to him on the phone yesterday about making me another shaft and I'm going to have him sign and date it if I order it.

https://bluebookofpoolcuevalues.com...rer.aspx?id=RICHARD_BLACK_CUSTOM_CRAFTED_CUES

"Almost all Richard Black cues have been signed on the forearm since 1980. If Richard knew that he was custom-making a cue for a specific individual, he would sign the cue and also include the date that the cue was finished on the forearm. If he knew or sensed that the cue was being purchased for resale, he would sign the cue but not date it. Of course, he was not always correct in his assessment of the situation, so this rule does not hold true 100% of the time."

This.

I have one from 80 and one from 81 signed and dated, also one from same time period that didnt have a date(thought it was gonna be resold). Doesnt have a sig now due to refinish(by other maker) and Richard not being physically able to sign.
Jason

MONOPOLY MAN

Registered
Black cues

Hi there i have a couple of rare blacks especially 1 of 1in the world and will never be duplicated ofcourse i have letter to concour story !!! Go monopoly man all caps see my photo bucket you see other nice things willing to trade or cash is king !!!!!roland martinez san antonio tx blessings

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I previously owned a Richard Black Bushka Cue with ivory joint that was signed and dated.
Boy, do I ever regret letting that cue go; that old hindsight adage comes to fruition once again.

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe he started building cues in 74-75, but he didn't start singing most of them until around 80.
Yes, he will still sign it if requested but now days most have his logo on the joint. I have a cue on order for end of June delivery. This cue will not be signed(logo on joint). A letter from him, like you have stated you have, will be fine for providence, also the buyer can call/email him and confirm.
What are you trying to sell, I'm always looking for Blacks?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
just sold this lovely RB hoppe w/flame veneers.

Too bad if as clerks said, Richard isn't signing anymore because he really has a beautiful signature.

Some makers drive me nuts with their terrible chickenscratch sigs - nothing against chickens, mind you. Some of my best friends are...well, you know. :smile:

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• RBlack-Hoppe-veneers.jpeg
    RBlack-Hoppe-veneers.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 255

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Stop lyin.

The ONLY reason that makers sign cues is pancake scissors.