Ronnie

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
prob
It could be a long wait before pro snooker produces another like Ronnie. His love for Judd Trump and Judd's daring, aggressive style, shows what kind of snooker gets Ronnie excited, and it is also the kind he always played himself, most likely better than Judd could ever dream of playing.

Yup, Ronnie's the GOAT in my view.
Judd Trump comes very close to matching Ronnie's playing level. During his two-year domination, Judd managed a 50+ break frequency of around 2.10 frames per break over 50. And 6.86 frames per break over 100. That century break rate is on par roughly with Ronnie's best and the 50+ rate is a bit weaker than Ronnie's best seasons which are at a dizzying 1.93 and 1.89 frames per 50+ break. It's not out of the question that Judd could reach that level before he retires. Judd's long potting is better than Ronnie's ever was and I think he does manage to create more chances than Ronnie, which is why he's struggled against Trump in recent history. But Trump doesn't currently have the same level of cue ball control. Cuetracker has all of these stats if you are interested.

But I don't imagine that anyone can beat those stats on a season-by-season basis, Judd could probably only match them. Beating it would basically mean making a 50+ pretty much every frame, which is tough to do at that level when guys can knock in a long red off your break and clear up.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn’t want to derail the other thread so I made this one.

In pool we often talk about who’s the best player in the last 40-50 years. As prior to that there isn’t much video and it’s just lost in the past

Who’s the best?

Segal the best front runner
Buddy never had a hard shot
Earl has all the talent
Nick is Nick
Johnny player of the decade
Efren is magical
Busty is still at it 100%
SVB current WC
Ocollo
Gorst&Filler

You get the point.

In snooker, who doesn’t think Ronnie is the best player of the last 40 years? He can’t be beat-unless he beats himself. He does everything better.

My thoughts,

What are your thoughts?

Not here to argue about the Americans & other pool players. I was just generalizing.

But who’s better than Ronnie and at what?

Just amazing this guy dressed in black

Best
Fatboy 😃😃🎰
Personally, in snooker... slam dunk--Ronnie..
Best 'potter' - - Filler
Best player all-time--Efren

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judd Trump comes very close to matching Ronnie's playing level. During his two-year domination, Judd managed a 50+ break frequency of around 2.10 frames per break over 50. And 6.86 frames per break over 100. That century break rate is on par roughly with Ronnie's best and the 50+ rate is a bit weaker than Ronnie's best seasons which are at a dizzying 1.93 and 1.89 frames per 50+ break. It's not out of the question that Judd could reach that level before he retires. Judd's long potting is better than Ronnie's ever was and I think he does manage to create more chances than Ronnie, which is why he's struggled against Trump in recent history. But Trump doesn't currently have the same level of cue ball control. Cuetracker has all of these stats if you are interested.

But I don't imagine that anyone can beat those stats on a season-by-season basis, Judd could probably only match them. Beating it would basically mean making a 50+ pretty much every frame, which is tough to do at that level when guys can knock in a long red off your break and clear up.
Great post! Thanks😃

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that's a critical factor. What one's peers think must be reckoned as part of the case for legendary status.

It's somewhat similar to the case for Mike Sigel as the best player of the nine-ball generation. Both Efren Reyes and Earl Strickland named Mike Sigel as the best player they had ever played against. That speaks volumes for me.
Yes, but after about 5 minutes, everyone he meets wants to strangle him.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep, good summary.

The only thing that I would add, and I am a Hendry fan as well by the way, was the standard in his decade of dominance was not as good as it is now.
Same with Steve Davis before Hendry.
Both lifted the game, no doubt about it.

Judd for a few years, and earlier before he found his all round game with his brand of naughty Snooker looked like he might lift the bar again.
Some of his shot making was just awesome in 2011 and just lack of experience lost him the World title.
Ronnie said at the time he had never seen shots like it.
Judd still can produce these shots, plays things others cannot do, even Ronnie, but not at a consistent level to set a new standard.

I have seen glimpses with Zhao Xintong, as have others to be the next big thing as he has the magic.
Time will tell.

But, Ronnie for now has taken the game to the limits of what a human can do.
He is Usain Bolt, Roger Federer and Tiger Woods in one package.
Seems people have forgotten about, Willie Hoppe, Raymond Ceulemans, Willie Mosconi!

Ronnie O is no doubt the GOAT in Snooker!

johnhendy

Registered

In pool we often talk about who’s the best player in the last 40-50 years. As prior to that there isn’t much video and it’s just lost in the past

Who’s the best?

Earl has all the talent
Nick is Nick
Efren is magical
SVB current WC
Ocollo
Gorst&Filler

You get the point.

In snooker, who doesn’t think Ronnie is the best player of the last 40 years? He can’t be beat-unless he beats himself. He does everything better.

My thoughts,

What are your thoughts?

Not here to argue about the Americans & other pool players. I was just generalizing.

Best
Fatboy 😃😃🎰
That little advice I gave him a few years back helped.

Attachments

• A2504B02-F120-48E4-B6B9-F991564F096F.jpeg
    A2504B02-F120-48E4-B6B9-F991564F096F.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 100

Guy Manges

Registered

Who’s the best?

Earl has all the talent
Nick is Nick
Efren is magical
SVB current WC
Ocollo
Gorst&Filler

You get the point.

My thoughts,

What are your thoughts?

Best
Fatboy 😃😃🎰
I may be wrong but Stephen Hendry and his 13 million dollar snooker wins, Also is one excellent 8 ball player still. He is now the Chinese ambassador for 8 Ball games, On the Wright day, on a Joy table, tournament table, he will beat Ronnie... this i believe, Guy

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may be wrong but Stephen Hendry and his 13 million dollar snooker wins, Also is one excellent 8 ball player still. He is now the Chinese ambassador for 8 Ball games, On the Wright day, on a Joy table, tournament table, he will beat Ronnie... this i believe, Guy

These questions are always subjective and there are only really 2 contenders, Stephen Hendry vs ROS.

I think for many, this 7th title has swayed many towards ROS, as in snooker (unlike other sports), the World Championships are so much more prestigious than the other events (although there is the 'triple crown', in reality its not like golf or tennis where all 4 majors are considered roughly equal), however of course the counter argument would say that Hendry was a game changer in terms of style and without his attacking play there would be no ROS. Also he had fewer tournaments to work with etc.

Its a question that may never result in agreement, but that's good, it would be boring otherwise!

As for Stephen Hendry's Chinese 8-Ball efforts, I would take a look on youtube, he never took it seriously (by his own admission) and that's why he focused more on the ambassadorial side, rather than the playing side.

Guy Manges

Registered
The last voices online about Ronnie not being the GOAT as he has not equalled or bettered Hendry's 7 titles looks to be over.
These same advocates ignore Ronnie has beaten ever other record.
And, most significantly over a 30 year period.
Not in a spell.
Not even a King in one decade.

The standard has never been better.
So, to be at the top now is just astounding.

So many records and achievements to point out.
But taking 1 year off after winning the World Championship in 2012 to comeback cold with no match practice and beat everyone and defend the title in 2013 was mind blowing.
Any other major sport have that happen?

2014 final, the Selby issue came along.
It took him a few years to crack that code.
2020 semi final was an all time classic where he broke Selby. Glorious.

I don't mind that he wasted 10 years off the table, could have had 10+ World titles if Dr. Steve Peters was around earlier... Ronnie is Ronnie because of his not so perfect past.
And some of those incidents were funny, sad, but following his journey has been a privilege in my lifetime.
There won't be one like him again.
I sure won't argue of what you say, but in my little bit of watching on 9' table like a Joy table, not snooker, I see Hendry as an equal player. I myself don't like snooker, never have, Old life 8 Ball, Snooker tables are to far to walk... Thank you Guy

telinoz

Registered
I sure won't argue of what you say, but in my little bit of watching on 9' table like a Joy table, not snooker, I see Hendry as an equal player. I myself don't like snooker, never have, Old life 8 Ball, Snooker tables are to far to walk... Thank you Guy
All good, no arguing, just friendly chats and the odd debate.

Yes, Stephen has been part of Chinese pool for years now. More than a decade I think.
A lot of the Snooker players take part in the big Chinese 8 ball tournaments as the prize money is decent.
I have not seen Stephen in those events, not seen him play om those tables.

They are tough though, there are some at my local poolhall.
Sure helps with potting accuracy.

Anyway, Stephen vs Ronnie now on Snooker is 100% for Ronnie winning everytime.
I would like to see a match between the two on a Joy 8ball table.
You know Stephen goes to most of the Legends tour events with Ronnie doing exhibitions?
That would be how they could organise a pool challenge.
Float the idea to them, you never know.

Guy Manges

Registered
Snooker is tougher then Pool in many ways, it is so big in UK.

Not sure how big Snooker is in US, but think it making comeback.
I don't think so... Snooker is snooker, our pool is many different things, Sizes and mental, If we had the audience all would be different... Guy

Guy Manges

Registered
All good, no arguing, just friendly chats and the odd debate.

Yes, Stephen has been part of Chinese pool for years now. More than a decade I think.
A lot of the Snooker players take part in the big Chinese 8 ball tournaments as the prize money is decent.
I have not seen Stephen in those events, not seen him play om those tables.

They are tough though, there are some at my local poolhall.
Sure helps with potting accuracy.

Anyway, Stephen vs Ronnie now on Snooker is 100% for Ronnie winning everytime.
I would like to see a match between the two on a Joy 8ball table.
You know Stephen goes to most of the Legends tour events with Ronnie doing exhibitions?
That would be how they could organise a pool challenge.
Float the idea to them, you never know.
I've watched Stephen play on Joy Q- 8 tables 9' tournament, against some of the best young Chinese players in this last few years and see that he can still play at top of his game, I say power to him... Guy

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. He’s capable of beating Ronnie. I saw a practice video of him that was less than a year old. He’s still hitting the ball as good as anyone. He might be rusty in tourneys/pressure but that’s fixable real quick.

Would be cool if he got pissed and when for #8 next season.

Imagine him and Ronnie in that final!!! That would surpass the 85 final as #1 imo.

Fun to think of.

I love snooker,
Fatboy😃😃

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't care for snooker, to big table, to small hole...
I used to like playing it more than pool. Back in the 80’s.

To sweat I prefer snooker.

I haven’t hit a ball on a pool table or snooker table in way too long of a time. Potting balls in snooker seems like a impossible dream at this point.

Best
Fatboy