A - B
10-05
10-00
00-10
10-05
01-10

A: 31 Points
B: 30 Points

If Team A scored that 1 point in game 5 because of an illegally pocketed ball to clench it, sure...Team B can blame the rule for the loss and it’s not entirely fair. But the truth is that Team B really lost because of what happened in game 1, 2 and 4 (not game 5).

#TheTruthHurts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Did you mean three? I don't think the math that follows makes sense unless the 8 ball is three points.

You are absolutely correct about the math. And now for the life of me I cannot remember...but it's gotta be that the 8-ball was two points and a score of 9 was given to the winner.

I am fairly sure that is it, but I've been through a lot of crap since those days and my memory just isn't very clear anymore.

Maniac

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Switch to the 17 point must system, problem solved. Our BCA league just switched to this, and it works well. Bring it up to your LO and see what they think.

If you win the rack, and your opponent has 3 balls down (on a foul or not), the score is 14-3, not 10-3. If you break and run out, and all of your opponents balls are still on the table, it is 17-0.

The score has to add up to 17.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Upload limit for pdf files is too small to attach it. :confused:

BCAPL 8-Ball League Scoring and Handicapping
The scoring and handicap systems outlined below are approved by the BCAPL and are programmed into LeagueSys for your convenience. LeagueSys is the FREE software program provided by the BCAPL that will run your pool league, compute your team standings (21 different ways), Top Shooter / MVP standings (15 different ways), build your division schedules and playoffs, show complete stats and histories for each player,….and more.

There is also an optional “Players Package” which provides a web page that players have access 24/7 to see team and MVP standings, prior match score sheets, player histories, schedules,… and much more. Here, players can also print score sheets for the current weeks matches with the current player averages (ratings) and rosters listed on each score sheet.

8-Ball Scoring with Points Handicap (10 & 17 Point System)

 Matches won can be determined by rounds won or total points scored

 Players get 1 point for each ball pocketed in their group

 Players get 3 points for the 8-Ball

 Game winning score can be 10 or 17 (or any other point value that you choose)

 The “17” point system that gives 1 additional point for each ball the losing player has left on the table. The stronger players (players that break and run out more often) will find their ratings will go up, but this system will have little effect on the lower skill level players as they rarely break and run. If the stronger teams have traditionally won or finished high every season, this system will make them give up more handicap points and will create a more even playing field for all teams

 Player “averages” are determined by taking the total points scored / games played

 Player averages are rounded up or down to the nearest whole number unless you select 1 or 2 decimals in your match type settings in LeagueSys

 Round Points - Team that scores the most points in a round (points plus handicap) is awarded 1 “Round” point

 Team winning the most “Round” points or the team scoring the most “Total Points” wins the match, depending on the match type setting you select

 The team with the higher “Team Average” will give handicap points to the other team based on the difference between the two team averages (See screen shot below)Below are screen shots of the “Match Type” settings in LeagueSys for this division along with the calculated score sheet. This score sheet matches the example score sheet found on www.playbca.comunder downloads, then click on score sheets

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Switch to the 17 point must system, problem solved. Our BCA league just switched to this, and it works well. Bring it up to your LO and see what they think.

If you win the rack, and your opponent has 3 balls down (on a foul or not), the score is 14-3, not 10-3. If you break and run out, and all of your opponents balls are still on the table, it is 17-0.

Nothing against your opinion but your statement and the op's question are issues that I had with bcapl and brought up on this forum several years ago.

I just do not agree with points awarded for balls pocketed illegally or made by your opponent.. The other issue is not having a standard set of rules nationwide.

I will also take a stab at answering the poster who does not understand what most of us are talking about.

When I played bcapl you received a point for each ball of your suit that was not left on the table at the end of the rack....no matter how it left the table and 2 points for the 8 ball....pocketed legally . So all balls off the table at the end of the rack would result in 9 points for the person who pocketed the 8 and 7 for the loser.

The total team handicap determined how many points that team needed to win that nights matchup. The team that gets the most points wins that night. And yes I have seen teams reach their required points on an illegally pocketed ball.

Our rules had a team handicap limit of 35. You could however play over the limit bit would be penalized. The penalty for going over 35 was giving the opposing team points each round equivalent to your teams lowest ranked player.

Example: Your lowest ranked player was a 5. Multiply that by the 5 rounds you played that night and the opposing team would be given an additional 25 points added to the total they earned that night. Oh yea....almost forgot . They also received points for the amount you went over 35.

Example : Their total team handicap was 37. The opposing team also received an additional 2 points each round for a total of 10 after 5 rounds. It probably sounds complicated but it really is not.

Example. Picking total points out of thin air because I dont remember what totals team handicaps needed to win.

Team 1 has a total handicap of 37 as in the above example and needs 185 points to win .

Team 2 has a total handicap of 33 and needs 160 points to win.

At the end of 5 rounds team 1 reached their required 185 points. Team 2 received 140 points.....add 25 points for the opposing teams lowest player and add 10 points for the 2 over 35 for a total of 175. team 1 wins the match by virtue of attaining the most points. Like I said ....the total points are hypothetical but I recall the added points .

Apa.9.ball is points based also but unlike bcapl ....any ball pocketed on a foul is a dead ball and no points are awarded and its a nation wide rule in every local apa league.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing against your opinion but your statement and the op's question are issues that I had with bcapl and brought up on this forum several years ago.

I just do not agree with points awarded for balls pocketed illegally or made by your opponent.. The other issue is not having a standard set of rules nationwide.

I will also take a stab at answering the poster who does not understand what most of us are talking about.

When I played bcapl you received a point for each ball of your suit that was not left on the table at the end of the rack....no matter how it left the table and 2 points for the 8 ball....pocketed legally . So all balls off the table at the end of the rack would result in 9 points for the person who pocketed the 8 and 7 for the loser.

The total team handicap determined how many points that team needed to win that nights matchup. The team that gets the most points wins that night. And yes I have seen teams reach their required points on an illegally pocketed ball.

Our rules had a team handicap limit of 35. You could however play over the limit bit would be penalized. The penalty for going over 35 was giving the opposing team points each round equivalent to your teams lowest ranked player.

Example: Your lowest ranked player was a 5. Multiply that by the 5 rounds you played that night and the opposing team would be given an additional 25 points added to the total they earned that night. Oh yea....almost forgot . They also received points for the amount you went over 35.

Example : Their total team handicap was 37. The opposing team also received an additional 2 points each round for a total of 10 after 5 rounds. It probably sounds complicated but it really is not.

Example. Picking total points out of thin air because I dont remember what totals team handicaps needed to win.

Team 1 has a total handicap of 37 as in the above example and needs 185 points to win .

Team 2 has a total handicap of 33 and needs 160 points to win.

At the end of 5 rounds team 1 reached their required 185 points. Team 2 received 140 points.....add 25 points for the opposing teams lowest player and add 10 points for the 2 over 35 for a total of 175. team 1 wins the match by virtue of attaining the most points. Like I said ....the total points are hypothetical but I recall the added points .

Apa.9.ball is points based also but unlike bcapl ....any ball pocketed on a foul is a dead ball and no points are awarded and its a nation wide rule in every local apa league.

Well, you can complain that it isnt "fair" all you want, but that will not help or change a thing. So, you can either fix the problem, or continue to complain. Its like wishing in one hand and shitting in the other. :thumbup:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, you can complain that it isnt "fair" all you want, but that will not help or change a thing. So, you can either fix the problem, or continue to complain. Its like wishing in one hand and shitting in the other. :thumbup:

I did not use the word "fair " one time in that long post..:grin-square:

I guess you can say its a complaint when you state you do not like certain rules. I do not try to fix things as you say because its not my league. Its the lo' s league to run anyway he wants and people will decide to play in it or not.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA says:

15. FOUL PENALTY.
Opposing player gets cue ball in hand. This means that the player can place the cue ball anywhere on the table (does not have to be behind the headstring except on opening break). This rule prevents a player from making intentional fouls which would put his opponent at a disadvantage.

If you have a point of a foul-pocketed ball but not ball in hand, the problem is worse.

Yes world and bca and most league rules are ball in hand anywhere, but most bangers in bars and even some better players have no idea about those rules and play what their uncle told them one time when they were 12.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I like this scoring, I think better than the USAPL scoring which gives you 14 points for a win and the loser just gets a point per ball made. The only flaw I can see is that for better players, they may elect to let the opponent pocket balls at the beginning and middle of the game to take over once things are cleared up and win on the last turn to the table. Doing that would allow the opponent some cheap points.