Runde Era Shafts vs LD Shafts

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
I have 3 of Runde era shafts and a gentleman was telling me yesterday I was crazy to not be using them. I asked him why and he said because they are better.

So...

How do these shafts stack up against today's LD shafts? What are the differences in play-ability?

Ken

p.s. didn't there used to be an ask the cuemaker forum? :p

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have 3 of Runde era shafts and a gentleman was telling me yesterday I was crazy to not be using them. I asked him why and he said because they are better.

So...

How do these shafts stack up against today's LD shafts? What are the differences in play-ability?

Schon shafts (Runde-era or not) are regular shafts. Regular squirt. I'm sure that's all there needs to be said. There's no comparison worth comparing since the guy subjectively said the word "better." They're different. That's really all.

Freddie <~~~ thinks you should screw one on a smash a ball with it to answer the question

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Preference

I have several and yes, I do prefer all of them over LD shafts. I did my LD experiment and I am sure we can all agree to disagree, they were not for me. I prefer the old growth, micarta ferruled shafts I have.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Schon shafts (Runde-era or not) are regular shafts. Regular squirt. I'm sure that's all there needs to be said. There's no comparison worth comparing since the guy subjectively said the word "better." They're different. That's really all.

Freddie <~~~ thinks you should screw one on a smash a ball with it to answer the question

That's pretty much where I am Freddie. I was just wondering if I was missing something.

Ken

atthecat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have several and yes, I do prefer all of them over LD shafts. I did my LD experiment and I am sure we can all agree to disagree, they were not for me. I prefer the old growth, micarta ferruled shafts I have.

I feel the same way.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The Old Runde era shaft will have more feel than front-light shafts.
The front-light shafts will have less cue ball squirt.
It's physics.
Hollowed front shafts will have less cue ball squirt, but because they are hollowed, they will have less feedback.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
The Old Runde era shaft will have more feel than front-light shafts.
The front-light shafts will have less cue ball squirt.
It's physics.
Hollowed front shafts will have less cue ball squirt, but because they are hollowed, they will have less feedback.

This is a serious question...no sarcasm intended :)

I think I know what you mean by feedback. In golf if a club felt unsolid at impact I couldn't use it. But I never thought my shot was less effective. It was just a preference I had about the way a club felt.

In pool, how does the feedback help us?

Ken

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a serious question...no sarcasm intended :)

In pool, how does the feedback help us?

Ken

It either increases predictability or eliminates doubt.

Placebo, or not? I dunno, but anything an individual perceives as good is- by definition- good.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
"Better"

There are "good" and "bad" types of all shaft regardless of who made them or when.

Not all old shafts are old growth. Not all old shafts are exclusively high or low 'deflection'.

For that matter, many shafts labelled as LD are not especially LD. Most who claim traits of one or the other can't even quote actual numbers to confirm the specific characteristics that denote either.

Forget about personal preference, needs and playing style.....

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
"Better"

There are "good" and "bad" types of all shaft regardless of who made them or when.

Not all old shafts are old growth. Not all old shafts are exclusively high or low 'deflection'.

For that matter, many shafts labelled as LD are not especially LD. Most who claim traits of one or the other can't even quote actual numbers to confirm the specific characteristics that denote either.

Forget about personal preference, needs and playing style.....

I think it is becoming pretty apparent that I am not missing anything. My OB1 doesn't seem to deflect the cue ball as much as the Schon shafts. I am used to that nowadays so I guess the Schon shafts will stay in the bag! :)

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is becoming pretty apparent that I am not missing anything. My OB1 doesn't seem to deflect the cue ball as much as the Schon shafts. I am used to that nowadays so I guess the Schon shafts will stay in the bag! :)

Or if they are stitch ringed then sell them to me so I can use them. I think you have gotten some good info out of this. I think it is all dependent on the person, situation and preference. The LD shaft I spoke of felt dead in essence. The maple shafts on the other hand give me a nice tone and vibration (or feedback if you prefer) when striking the cue.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I still have 3 or 4 Runde era Schon shafts as well, had to use one a few years ago when both my LD shafts were out of commission. Definitely better feel, but man, when you aren't used to that deflection anymore makes a big difference!! Let's just say I used a lot of center cue ball for a few days... :)

I really don't think there's anything wrong with standard shafts, just personal preference. As long as you can adjust for the effects when hitting off center, doesn't really matter. In general you get better feel and feedback with most standard shafts compared to their hollowed out LD counterparts...

Scott