Santa Monica House of Billiards being sold?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read from a friend’s Facebook page that the owner is selling. Sounds like it won’t be a pool room any more. Not sure.

sad if true. Seems like that place has been around forever. Always entertaining watching the one pocket matches- a lot of characters and talented players

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Price of land is too high there. Townhomes nearby sell for $1000/sq-ft. Even if you own the building it can't make sense as a business.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Price of land is too high there. Townhomes nearby sell for $1000/sq-ft. Even if you own the building it can't make sense as a business.
Agreed. Last time I was there the room seemed too close to the high dollar areas, just a few blocks away to make it for much longer. I'm glad that I was able to check many of these rooms out when I was able to. I met some interesting folks and took a few pictures knowing soon that some of these places would be gone next time I was around.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is true that the price of land is extremely high in that area. However, I don't know when the owner bought the property. It has been there for a long time so he may have bought it when prices were somewhat reasonable. The pandemic sure hasn't helped- I think they've been closed since March.

lawlist

Registered
Sad news ... I played there quite a bit about 25+ years ago and enjoyed hanging out, talking with the regulars and sometimes going out for a bite to eat with one or more of the folks who I made friends with there.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The land value is worth far more than its value as a poolroom. The building has been family owned for decades, worth millions to developers.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The land value is worth far more than its value as a poolroom. The building has been family owned for decades, worth millions to developers.
that makes sense, but it is sad nonetheless.

Now there are hardly any pool rooms left within a 10-15 mile radius of where I live. Hopefully Mr. Lucky's survives the pandemic.

I fortunately have a 7 footer in my garage and several of my friends have tables, but I always enjoyed going to HOB. Very tough tables there in the front- some of the toughest in the world- less than 4 inch pockets. I guess ideal for 1 pocket, but I've never really gotten into playing 1 pocket.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
that makes sense, but it is sad nonetheless.

Now there are hardly any pool rooms left within a 10-15 mile radius of where I live. Hopefully Mr. Lucky's survives the pandemic.

I fortunately have a 7 footer in my garage and several of my friends have tables, but I always enjoyed going to HOB. Very tough tables there in the front- some of the toughest in the world- less than 4 inch pockets. I guess ideal for 1 pocket, but I've never really gotten into playing 1 pocket.
Pool and poolrooms will come back after this is all over. You can bet on that!

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Pool and poolrooms will come back after this is all over. You can bet on that!
I hope you're right Mr. Jay. I suspect though that the rebirth will be in 7 footers alone and more upscale bar motif than pool room. Out in your area can't imagine anything surviving otherwise unless the tables are running at 30-40 bucks an hour.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I'm not mistaken, that property has been on the market for a while. Maybe a deal was finally struck?

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Was talked about on POV Pool the other night. Sounds like they should've sold it 3 years ago when they had it up. The guest said they were sticking to their number though $$. If they only new what was coming.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was talked about on POV Pool the other night. Sounds like they should've sold it 3 years ago when they had it up. The guest said they were sticking to their number though $$. If they only new what was coming.
I doubt the pandemic has devalued the property and if they own it outright (which I'm almost certain they do) there is very little overhead.

FWIW, my SoCal home has increased in value this year.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt the pandemic has devalued the property and if they own it outright (which I'm almost certain they do) there is very little overhead.

FWIW, my SoCal home has increased in value this year.
Covid hasn't devalued property in that area. Its worth a ton.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad.

When is California going to learn that business owners can’t pay the bills, let alone earn a living and feed their families, when they aren’t allowed to be open…

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to hear that HOB is closing. I did several lessons in there over the years, some with celebrities and some with local players. It was a nice room, and I enjoying visiting there. My heart goes out to the locals who lived there almost 24/7!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to hear that HOB is closing. I did several lessons in there over the years, some with celebrities and some with local players. It was a nice room, and I enjoying visiting there. My heart goes out to the locals who lived there almost 24/7!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour
I know- where will Danny Shades play? Seemed like he almost lived there. There were very few times I went in there that he wasn't present