Satin SW Story

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a repost of a good post I made in the for sale forum:

I was at SW when Jerry was just wrapping up the first batch of satins, it was just a idea he had to make use of some maple he didn’t want to cut points into and some shaft wood that was good but not up to spec for his regular cues. To be clear they were not made of 2nd’s or bad wood by any standard. Was just a side idea and a lower barrier to entry to sell a few cues that weren’t custom.

The first batch was just completed within a couple days of me popping into the shop. I asked if I could buy one. “Sure” Jerry replied. Yay! I was happy he said take your pick. Of course I was going to get the juiciest BEM in the batch-there were 12-15 iirc. Not more than 15 could have been 12. Not sure the exact number but I’m close. The first 2 I picked he said we’re accounted for. So my 3rd choice was mine. I stayed a hour or 2 hanging out as usual.

I went to the pool room that night all happy with my new SW-when I woke up that day I had no idea o was going to get a new SW. Any day you get a new SW is a great day!!!

It was beautiful, it played great. Everyone that night kept asking me about it as there are loads of SW’s in Vegas (go figure) and this one was different. Finally I realized I had something special.

Back then I was buying and selling lots of cues on the rail in pool rooms all over Vegas/LA/Phoenix. I had a personal collection too but for what ever reason I decided to sell it that night. I had never flipped a SW before. I owned a couple but never in & out real fast.

I didn’t know if satins were gonna be a thing or not-Jerry didn’t know. I asked him. He said “See how it goes, maybe I’ll do a batch again someday”. Jerry was a great person and cared about his cues, not just a money grab. He really cared and didn’t want satins to dilute the SW reputation. We talked at length about this.

I was on the super short stack in life at the time, so cue $ was easy money. So I sold my satin from batch #1 the 3rd pick to someone.

what did I pay?

$150

Best,
Fatboy(still has satins I’ll never sell from later batches)

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a repost of a good post I made in the for sale forum:

I was at SW when Jerry was just wrapping up the first batch of satins, it was just a idea he had to make use of some maple he didn’t want to cut points into and some shaft wood that was good but not up to spec for his regular cues. To be clear they were not made of 2nd’s or bad wood by any standard. Was just a side idea and a lower barrier to entry to sell a few cues that weren’t custom.

The first batch was just completed within a couple days of me popping into the shop. I asked if I could buy one. “Sure” Jerry replied. Yay! I was happy he said take your pick. Of course I was going to get the juiciest BEM in the batch-there were 12-15 iirc. Not more than 15 could have been 12. Not sure the exact number but I’m close. The first 2 I picked he said we’re accounted for. So my 3rd choice was mine. I stayed a hour or 2 hanging out as usual.

I went to the pool room that night all happy with my new SW-when I woke up that day I had no idea o was going to get a new SW. Any day you get a new SW is a great day!!!

It was beautiful, it played great. Everyone that night kept asking me about it as there are loads of SW’s in Vegas (go figure) and this one was different. Finally I realized I had something special.

Back then I was buying and selling lots of cues on the rail in pool rooms all over Vegas/LA/Phoenix. I had a personal collection too but for what ever reason I decided to sell it that night. I had never flipped a SW before. I owned a couple but never in & out real fast.

I didn’t know if satins were gonna be a thing or not-Jerry didn’t know. I asked him. He said “See how it goes, maybe I’ll do a batch again someday”. Jerry was a great person and cared about his cues, not just a money grab. He really cared and didn’t want satins to dilute the SW reputation. We talked at length about this.

I was on the super short stack in life at the time, so cue $ was easy money. So I sold my satin from batch #1 the 3rd pick to someone.

what did I pay?

$150

Best,
Fatboy(still has satins I’ll never sell from later batches)

You don’t have to sell me one.

Christmas presents are fine, though.

:)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pictures would tell story.👍
Oddly enough I never take pics of what I own. Never have, cues, cars, watches, girls j/k.

I have them in the vault, I can see them anytime. I’m not into posting pics of my stuff online-I don’t use FB or instagram.

the few cue pics of my cues on here are pics other people have taken.

I have nothing to prove, they are there and we all know what a satin SW looks like.

wish I’d have kept the one from the first batch, a Jerry satin first batch 3rd pic was a strong cue. But I sold it the day I bought it🤯

Best
Fatboy

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oddly enough I never take pics of what I own. Never have, cues, cars, watches, girls j/k.

I have them in the vault, I can see them anytime. I’m not into posting pics of my stuff online-I don’t use FB or instagram.

I have nothing to prove, they are there and we all know what a satin SW looks like.

wish I’d have kept the one from the first batch, a Jerry satin first batch 3rd pic was a strong cue. But I sold it the day I bought it🤯

Best
Fatboy

Come to Hawaii and hit a Jackpot and you will forget about that old SW. :)

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought my first SW from Jerry in very early 1983. I ordered and waited a few months. Pretty sure it was a merry widow and I believe I paid around $225 with 2 shafts. The cue craftmanship was impressive, so I wrote a letter to Jerry asking to be a dealer. Lol. Laurie returned a copy of that letter to me about 10 years ago! Anyway, the cue was just too stiff for me. I was playing with a Tim Scruggs cue at that time. I sold the cue a day or two later at College Billiards in San Diego for about what I had paid.

RingKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did it look anything like this one? Always wondered if I could see which batch this came from?

it has that beauty mark in the BEM near the joint that would be identifiable.

Screenshot_20220114-120028_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220114-120043_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220114-120101_Gallery.jpg

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best
Fatboy
Nothing to do with the SW but here's a video of one of your cues.
I first found out who "Fatboy" was about 10 years ago due to Samm Diep's YouTube "What's in the Case" interviews.
Showing one of your Black Boar cues. Here's that clip, date shows March 10th, '09.
Hope you don't mind me posting this, I'll delete it if you want ~

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A guy at the pool room bought one here in Denver not knowing what is was for real cheap, maybe $150 or so.
I think he kept it he doesn't need money and likes to collect cues.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That cue is still my player these days. I haven’t played in a few years but I never retired it. If I was going to play today-I’d grab it.

That video was funny (for me anyways) it was shot at around 4am I was so tired & full of pain pills for my back(I stopped taking those things a couple months after this video). Samm asked me if I would do a video, “sure” I didn’t know she meant then.

I thought it was pretty cool to get picked to do that video, everyone else who got to do that was a champion. I’m just Fatboy. I was more than happy to, but 4am😳. Ok let’s roll!!’

Good times,

Hope everyone enjoys it, don’t hurt my feeling if you laugh at me-I’m not shy.

Best
Fatboy.

Any questions ask here I’ll answer.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That cue is still my player these days. I haven’t played in a few years but I never retired it. If I was going to play today-I’d grab it.

That video was funny (for me anyways) it was shot at around 4am I was so tired & full of pain pills for my back(I stopped taking those things a couple months after this video). Samm asked me if I would do a video, “sure” I didn’t know she meant then.

I thought it was pretty cool to get picked to do that video, everyone else who got to do that was a champion. I’m just Fatboy. I was more than happy to, but 4am😳. Ok let’s roll!!’

Good times,

Hope everyone enjoys it, don’t hurt my feeling if you laugh at me-I’m not shy.

Best
Fatboy.

Any questions ask here I’ll answer.
That's some good looking wood in that Sugartree also. Nice cue except
except for the layered tip.
I hate layered tips too! lol

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Black Boar in that video is one of the best hitting cues I have ever had the pleasure to test drive. I would never sell that cue Eric.

Take care and thanks for sharing the cool SW Satin story.

Greatly Appreciated
-don

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing to do with the SW but here's a video of one of your cues.
I first found out who "Fatboy" was about 10 years ago due to Samm Diep's YouTube "What's in the Case" interviews.
Showing one of your Black Boar cues. Here's that clip, date shows March 10th, '09.
Hope you don't mind me posting this, I'll delete it if you want ~
I love the sleeves in that cue case--I've never seen that before. I modified my JB Rugged case to employ something like that. I sewed a couple of 4 inch sleeves to the top of two of the slots in my JB Rugged case to protect the cues better when sliding shaft/butts into a crowded case. I just fold the sleeves over after I slide in a butt/shaft.

Thanks for sharing that video with us Johnny Rosato/Fatboy. I love those Samm Diep "What's in the case?" interviews.

Last edited:

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
Eric aka Fatboy
You remember :you wants to give me a decade or so a Hager Case 😉
Your Friend from Germany
Yeah that Boar is good, shot some balls here when Eric was in Germany