Scranton 7 ft Diamond tables

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I live in scranton and own a 7 ft Pro-am. I have a dilemma though I do not drink alcohol and am not in a bar league so I have very little reason to go to bars. I was wondering if there are any public places like a bar that have 7 ft Diamond tables in this area? I hear there are some down in Bloomsburg but that is kind of a far drive for my purpose. I know there are a couple halls around here that have 9 ft diamonds but I am looking for one with a 7 ft. I know there are some locals that are on this forum so I am hoping someone can point me to a place that has one. I feel like I am living in a city that has only valley tables available for public play.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I live in scranton and own a 7 ft Pro-am. I have a dilemma though I do not drink alcohol and am not in a bar league so I have very little reason to go to bars. I was wondering if there are any public places like a bar that have 7 ft Diamond tables in this area? I hear there are some down in Bloomsburg but that is kind of a far drive for my purpose. I know there are a couple halls around here that have 9 ft diamonds but I am looking for one with a 7 ft. I know there are some locals that are on this forum so I am hoping someone can point me to a place that has one. I feel like I am living in a city that has only valley tables available for public play.

Not having Diamond tables in your area is not unusual. In MA there is only one place I know with a 7" Diamond, and that place only has one that the owner specifically bought for the league to practice on, and there are no 9' Diamonds in any pool hall in the area.

14.1 Forever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is a common problem. Most bars will not put up the money for a Diamond, even a 7' is not cheap and not respected by most of their clients. Contact the APA League operator in your area, he would be my first choice. Or - you might want to check out Bowling alleys or private clubs. If you find a private club like the Elks, Fire Houses or a Fish & Game club that has one, membership is usually cheap.($10 - $20/ yr.) Go online and make some phone calls ... you might get lucky. IMHO the APA operator is your best bet.

Captain18

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't contact the APA operator.....chance you may get led astray...lol.. . the few I know of despise Diamonds..... not so much on a personal level but they will "toe the company line " ... as the APA nats is played on Valleys...
I asked a op once about not having Diamonds for their nats.... and was rudely told that "pro tables are for pro players..our league is amateurs so that is who we cater to."

Which I took as..... we are too cheap to provide quality equipment for our players...cause the added expense would have to come out of OUR pockets....

LOL

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't contact the APA operator.....chance you may get led astray...lol.. . the few I know of despise Diamonds..... not so much on a personal level but they will "toe the company line " ... as the APA nats is played on Valleys...
I asked a op once about not having Diamonds for their nats.... and was rudely told that "pro tables are for pro players..our league is amateurs so that is who we cater to."

Which I took as..... we are too cheap to provide quality equipment for our players...cause the added expense would have to come out of OUR pockets....

LOL

That "pro equipment is for pro players" APA line is why I do not like the organization one bit. Same thing for rules, dumbed down rules for dumbed down players :rolleyes:

I actually remembered that there is a bar with great 8' Diamonds decently near me, they were put in because the USAPL league operator basically told that guy, get those tables or else LOL. They even tightened the pockets on them to where you can't get two balls to fit like you can with a standard Diamond.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Elks in Chelmsford, MA has at least one, and I believe two 9' Diamonds. If you can track down Dave Eghdall I believe he has some.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The private club and the league operators are great leads. I do not see the 7 ft Diamond Pro-Am or Smart tables as being Professional level tables. In fact many people on here seem to think pros should
only play on 9 ft or larger tables. I do see them as being a lot higher quality and price than Valley or Dynamo tables. In reality based upon what I have seen by the time a player attains skill level 7 or 9 they are playing at or close to professional level. Seeing there is no real definition of what a pro is it seems anyone can pay pro entry fees into a tournament and call themselves a pro.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
APA 7 or 9's are far from professional level especially those who have only played on 7 foot barboxes.

So what does this have to do with finding a 7 ft diamond table?

The private club and the league operators are great leads. I do not see the 7 ft Diamond Pro-Am or Smart tables as being Professional level tables. In fact many people on here seem to think pros should
only play on 9 ft or larger tables. I do see them as being a lot higher quality and price than Valley or Dynamo tables. In reality based upon what I have seen by the time a player attains skill level 7 or 9 they are playing at or close to professional level. Seeing there is no real definition of what a pro is it seems anyone can pay pro entry fees into a tournament and call themselves a pro.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA 7 or 9's are far from professional level especially those who have only played on 7 foot barboxes.

So what does this have to do with finding a 7 ft diamond table?

Your right Tony i was going astray. I started calling locals earlier no luck yet. Ony found some 9 ft tables at two local area halls.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:scratchhead: :killingme: :rotflmao: You're living in dreamland. The huge majority of top skill level APA players are NOWHERE NEAR professional level players. There certainly have been some pro players who have slipped by the APA (at least until they win an APA national event), and there are still pro players around the country who play regularly in the APA. Ike Runnels in Chicago is just one, but a prominent one.

You're right in that there are no clear "definitions" of what a pro player is...but anyone who knows anything about high level pool can tell a professional grade stroke from a mile away.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

In reality based upon what I have seen by the time a player attains skill level 7 or 9 they are playing at or close to professional level.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
My friend Ed in Hazleton has his room up for sale. Perfect chance for someone to buy a room in NEPA, remove about half the Gold Crowns and put Diamond BB's in. The majority of the locals don't want to play on 9 foot tables anyway.:(

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:scratchhead: :killingme: :rotflmao: You're living in dreamland. The huge majority of top skill level APA players are NOWHERE NEAR professional level players. There certainly have been some pro players who have slipped by the APA (at least until they win an APA national event), and there are still pro players around the country who play regularly in the APA. Ike Runnels in Chicago is just one, but a prominent one.

You're right in that there are no clear "definitions" of what a pro player is...but anyone who knows anything about high level pool can tell a professional grade stroke from a mile away.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Scott
Please stay on the topic or start a new thread if you see a need to. The post you reference was already pointed out to be off the original topic and corrected.