Seal a CF Shaft

RailKing85

Did anyone notice the Rhino shaft is dry and weird to the touch? Like it makes a dry wishing sound when you slide your fingers across it. And feels super dry like it wasn't "finished" like all the other CF shafts.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Did anyone notice the Rhino shaft is dry and weird to the touch? Like it makes a dry wishing sound when you slide your fingers across it. And feels super dry like it wasn't "finished" like all the other CF shafts.
I noticed; it tends to collect chalk dust during play.

Ted760_0

I have 3 McDermott Defy shafts, I play 4 - 5 nights a week and clean them with a micro fiber cloth with rubbing alcohol once a week. McDermott recommends just using water, but I don't see how that would remove the oils transferred from your skin. After cleaning I apply the McDermott "Ultra - Glide" and McDermott does recommend using it on the Defy shafts.
I usually play with a glove, but have never noticed any black residue from the shaft on my hand when I don't use a glove after shooting. I don't have any experience with any other brand of CF shaft.

dendweller

I have 3 McDermott Defy shafts, I play 4 - 5 nights a week and clean them with a micro fiber cloth with rubbing alcohol once a week. McDermott recommends just using water, but I don't see how that would remove the oils transferred from your skin. After cleaning I apply the McDermott "Ultra - Glide" and McDermott does recommend using it on the Defy shafts.
I usually play with a glove, but have never noticed any black residue from the shaft on my hand when I don't use a glove after shooting. I don't have any experience with any other brand of CF shaft.
Are any of them the ones that came out last summer that were supposed to be less tacky?

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've noticed this on a few and didn't care for that aspect of the Rhino. Pechauer, Jacoby, Becue, super smooth and rarely even require a cleaning. Rhino, Meucci, noisy through the bridge and feel unfinished. My Becue shaft always feels even better than a freshly sealed wood shaft.

Ted760_0

Are any of them the ones that came out last summer that were supposed to be less tacky?
No, they are all 1st generation shafts.
Two were lightly used and one was unchalked, they were all a little draggy when I first got them and seamed to get much smoother after I played with them a while. I have been using them for about 2 years now.

Last edited:

RailKing85

I've noticed this on a few and didn't care for that aspect of the Rhino. Pechauer, Jacoby, Becue, super smooth and rarely even require a cleaning. Rhino, Meucci, noisy through the bridge and feel unfinished. My Becue shaft always feels even better than a freshly sealed wood shaft.
Yea it sounds and feels like I'm sliding a steel pipe through my fingers (which is noticeably hollow about 7 inches down)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not order a revo from Seyberts, you can chalk it and shoot with it for 30 days. See if it is indeed all cf that reacts to your hands that way.

CF is a manufactured product, I suspect there are different qualities. Maybe you have a bad tube from a bad batch.
i don't believe its the shaft myself. a bunch of these are out there and i've heard of very few complaints of this.
Chalk definitely adheres to mine.

Why isn't water suggested for cf shafts, anybody know?
distilled water is ok. regular tap usually is chlorinated/fluorinated and those might damage the epoxy-cf matrix, idk.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
RailKing....

Look at this way.
If I was 16 and got my first used car (CF shaft comparison) and it ran well, my mind would not be able yet to compare the feel, sound etc. to what was better/worse/ok or not.
Like your first date when you were in elementary school.
How is she supposed to act?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't sweat, I'm in the high desert/Dry.
ok but where you live doesn't mean one's hands don't sweat. my rhino, as stated a few times, was quite dirty out of the box. after an initial wipe down with 91%alc it has remained very clean since. i keep hands clean while playing and wipe shaft with a micro-fib cloth while playing. about once a wk i wipe with the alc. i get very small black smudge on bridge hand after about 2hrs of play.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO. Not owning any carbon fiber shaft I think the higher quality CF shaft material would be found in the large high end brands.

Mezz and Becue stand out in large part for me due to the fact that the Japanese and Italian companies have always struck me as being geared to producing high quality, before almost anything else.

From there I would think the next tier would be Predator, Cuetec, Pechauer, and Mcdermott.

Then all the other’s in no particular order..

Reactions: SSP