Serious question?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Serious question for everyone. How is it that people that can't run a rack of balls in 9 or 10 ball, get to decide just exactly how a pool table should play for the Pros? How do they even determine how the pockets should accept or reject balls, in order to create what they call FAIR pockets?? No one seems to be able to agree on shit, let alone which cloth is the best for the Pros to play on, yet, their OPINION seems to put them in charge of this sport! What are the best balls, best chalk, best of anything for the Pros, if it's the NON PROS doing all the deciding??? Sales, THAT’S how its all determined, SALES!!!

I mean, who is really in charge of this games future growth? Who gave these people the power to decide on what the VIEWING fans want to see, or NOT want to see????

Who has the power to decide what's the best for the Professional players? I'd like to know!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can a person that is obviously talented in what they do with tables and then be a complete a$$ and become the laughing stock of an entire industry?

Its because they confuse what is important. A cuemaker can be the best cuemaker of all time but if he cheats people, steals their money, insults them, they wont be successful.

I dont understand what your problems, whether it is drugs, alcohol, mental health or other. I hope you can get professional help and solve your issues.

I will pray for you.

Ken

realkingcobra

Silver Member
How can a person that is obviously talented in what they do with tables and then be a complete a$$ and become the laughing stock of an entire industry?

Its because they confuse what is important. A cuemaker can be the best cuemaker of all time but if he cheats people, steals their money, insults them, they wont be successful.

I dont understand what your problems, whether it is drugs, alcohol, mental health or other. I hope you can get professional help and solve your issues.

I will pray for you.

Ken
So, in other words, you can't explain my question, right?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In terms of Matchroom, they're putting up the money so they can decide what they like. I love what they're doing for pro pool in terms of number of events and growing the sport but some of the smaller decisions irk lots of people like the balls, color of cloth and 4.5" side pockets on a 9' table. If they grow the sport, I'll just have to grin and bear those things.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, in other words, you can't explain my question, right?
I did explain it. But arguing with a fool only brings me to your level.

If your point is the best person to set up a table is the best player in the world, I dont agree.

The best pool teachers are not the best pool players, sure they are compentent players who understand teaching.

If you get the best pool players, they are like you (as I explained above) maybe expert players, but may not be the best on setting a table up for best play.

I think you are whinning about everyone complaining on the "tight tables" at DCC. There were several issues with the tables. Tightening up the tables slowed down the matches, especially the banks. It backed up the entire tournament. Sure alot of professionals would like to play on snug tables but tightening of the tables were a disaster. If you were responsible for that disaster, congratulations.

Ken

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A very angry person.
That may be but there's those people that think they know everything. Bring up a topic and they have thoughts and beliefs.

Yesterday I'm doing one of my favorite things. Training Bird Dogs. There's a guy that's normally there that should be catching on by now but hasn't and I think won't. He's a Lawyer and Judge and has no attention to circumstances, no ability to adapting to circumstances, really no awarness to what's happening while we're training. Manytimes simply fuxxing up the dogs.

Today the Master Trainer asked if I had played any lately? I said I did and this guy proceedes to tell me all about how "most players play with McDermott and Meucci cues and how he has "what they call a Sneaky Peat cue that looks like a really cheap cue but ......"

I'm thinkin this is what Glen is maybe sayin.
Folks that don't know shi# but have a loud and imposing mouth.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The next best seller becomes the standard? Money honey. Was there any reason to not use Centennial balls forever. As for tables, cloth. New merchandise stimulates sales. Let the dollar circulate. The people that promote and put up the money are the boss. I still want to know why the GC6 design got FUBAR

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member

If your point is the best person to set up a table is the best player in the world, I dont agree.

The best pool teachers are not the best pool players, sure they are compentent players who understand teaching.

If you get the best pool players, they are like you (as I explained above) maybe expert players, but may not be the best on setting a table up for best play.

I think you are whinning about everyone complaining on the "tight tables" at DCC. There were several issues with the tables. Tightening up the tables slowed down the matches, especially the banks. It backed up the entire tournament. Sure alot of professionals would like to play on snug tables but tightening of the tables were a disaster. If you were responsible for that disaster, congratulations.

Ken
What makes you think I had anything to do with the DCC? hat is YOUR problem, are YOU the FOOL attacking me? My question is more about the future of this sport, and the youth everyone says we need to keep it going, NOT wanting to play on tight pocket tables! My question is more about what SHOULD be accepted as an official pocket opening, miter angles and all, that will BENEFIT the growth of this sport, NOT handicap it! But please take your childish attitude somewhere else, you obviously have NOTHING to contribute in this thread!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Ken
Furthermore, my question has NOTHING to do with me being a table mechanic or offering my advice, if you wasn't so stuck on attacking me, maybe you'd have figured that out, but nope, not you, because you THINK you know me so well!!!

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Serious question for everyone. How is it that people that can't run a rack of balls in 9 or 10 ball, get to decide just exactly how a pool table should play for the Pros? How do they even determine how the pockets should accept or reject balls, in order to create what they call FAIR pockets?? No one seems to be able to agree on shit, let alone which cloth is the best for the Pros to play on, yet, their OPINION seems to put them in charge of this sport! What are the best balls, best chalk, best of anything for the Pros, if it's the NON PROS doing all the deciding??? Sales, THAT’S how its all determined, SALES!!!

I mean, who is really in charge of this games future growth? Who gave these people the power to decide on what the VIEWING fans want to see, or NOT want to see????

Who has the power to decide what's the best for the Professional players? I'd like to know!
Because those that have the money make the rules.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What makes you think I had anything to do with the DCC? hat is YOUR problem, are YOU the FOOL attacking me? My question is more about the future of this sport, and the youth everyone says we need to keep it going, NOT wanting to play on tight pocket tables! My question is more about what SHOULD be accepted as an official pocket opening, miter angles and all, that will BENEFIT the growth of this sport, NOT handicap it! But please take your childish attitude somewhere else, you obviously have NOTHING to contribute in this thread!!

My assumption as I have just recently came back to AZ after taking a long break. From years ago, you said you were the expert that designed the Diamond tables and responsible for all of their success and they would be nothing without you. Based on YOUR statements, I wouldnt expect them to be able to do anything without your direct involvement.

Greg Sullivan is just a figurehead?

Ken

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For the same reasons professional race car drivers race on slick tires without speed limits and with cars sitting an inch above the road getting 3 MPG.
while passenger car tires are treaded, confined to legal speeds, and cars average 6 inches of ground clearance, getting over 15 MPG.

These are "different" enough that "different" rules SHOULD apply.

One would not want race team personnel deciding passenger car specifications.
One would not want casual driver to decide the specifications of a race car, either.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over in the golf world, the players have to adjust to all kinds of grass surfaces, all kinds of weather circumstances, put up with the occasional equipment failure, and just plain bad luck.
As to clothe:: I like Simonis.
As to Balls:: I like Duramith.
As to chalk:: I like Masters.
As to pockets:: 142º entrance angle for corner pockets and 103º entrance angles for side pockets.
The reason people don't agree on stuff is that it is expensive to change if what you agree to is not what you have on hand.

xX-Wizard-Xx

Basically pros do have a voice ... Products are created and tested and used .... if to many people complain they dont get used again. most products go through many iterations and continue

dquarasr

Registered

Whoever risks their investment to put on a tournament or series are those who can make the decisions. They reap the rewards if it goes well; they lose their investment if it goes poorly. They get to decide.

That said, I suspect anyone putting up $ will not go into it with bad intentions. I suspect they made measured decisions to the best of their abilities with again, the goal of having success. I suspect they consulted with whomever they thought were the best advisors. They may have been misguided in some of their decisions, but I cannot believe anyone investing $ goes into it with the idea of screwing it up.

Sometimes the ideas work. Sometimes they don't.

RKC, maybe your post would not have received such a strong reaction if you were less accusatory, and more cooperative and empathetic. Your premise, in the form of an almost rhetorical question, right out of the gate, has an implied "they're dumbasses" built right in. So I don't think your question was really serious. It was more a position statement since we know you know the answer. You're railing against tournament and series organizers, or at least that's how I (and I believe most of those who responded here) read it.

I've reworded your original concern. See if this might have garnered a more healthy debate:

Everyone: I disagree with some of the decisions made by recent tournament organizers. Here's why:
1. (list your reasoning here, like "The pocket specs could have been better had they been <xyz>. These specs would still be challenging yet fair, and would showcase the pro's talents while not slowing down the play.
2. The cloth colors might be better as <abc> because <explain why>.
3. ditto ball designs, tournament format, table specs, etc., etc.
4. Ask a question "which pros were consulted?" rather than "No one can agree on . . . what is best for the Pros (sic) to play on". You stating non-pros were deciding might not be true. Do you know for a fact that no pro players were consulted?
5. Ask a question "what surveys were done with fans and viewers on what they like".

And finally, yes, it's SALES that drives decisions. Get real. Those that work make $. Bad decisions lose $. It's economic Darwinism at its best and worst, most lethal, blatantly objective.

See if you can rally like-minded investors and start a series. I'm sure your background as a table "pro" (you do it for a living, right?) would guarantee a successful series. Or maybe not, because such a venture requires more than technical skills; it requires viewership analysis, marketing, distribution channels, sales, logistics, project management, accounting, human resources, legal expertise, food management, etc. ad nauseum. Do you have such non-technical skills? If so, then you can be so critical.

dquarasr

Registered
P.S. RKC, you are also making the assumption that table specs are the only thing that is making or breaking the sport. Obviously, it's SO much more than that.

JCL

I will pray for you.

Ken
Attacking RKC its not going to solve anybody's problem, at the end of the day his is the king wether you like or not, he is the pro, so if you are not agree with someone(him) your only solution is to attack the person? Show some class, I bet you will not talking like that in his face!!!