shaft diameter

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing cue shaft diameter. I'm very curious. Ages ago the standard generic diameter was 13mm (.512"). Nowadays I have no clue. Metric or Imperial system please give me some numbers for what YOU play with. I'd like to get as many as possible. FYI: 1 mm = .03937 of an inch. Or, .010" per 1/4 millimeter. Thank you very much for your participation.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing cue shaft diameter. I'm very curious. Ages ago the standard generic diameter was 13mm (.512"). Nowadays I have no clue. Metric or Imperial system please give me some numbers for what YOU play with. I'd like to get as many as possible. FYI: 1 mm = .03937 of an inch. Or, .010" per 1/4 millimeter. Thank you very much for your participation.

You should have done a poll so the results are tabulated. Most players I see use a shaft in the mid 12 mm range. I think the 12.4 size is very common with Revo and others going to that size.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
12.5mm for me, on all my 7 joss cues

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I play with the 11.8 and 12.4 Revo, also have the 12.9 but I don't like it as much.
The 12.4 gets most of my time.

Last edited:

RailKing85

Your hand size is an important factor. The shaft should fit snuggly in the bridge, but still glide smoothly. I have bigger paws, so a 12.75 min diam suits me.

The the style of bridge might dictate the taper. An open bridge may work best with a slow rise or conical taper, while a close bridge may feel best with the straight pro taper. Cheers
agreed, this is the one thing that is difficult getting used too with my Cynergy's pro taper. I play open bridge and it just seems difficult to be confident with my stroke.

pw98

Registered
The size of the tip does not change the location of it's edge in relation to the miscue limit of the CB.

Only change is how low you bridge and/or how much to need to angle you cue to reach that threshold.

Now... A larger tip could more easily contain a notable flat spot that would allow you to cue a tiny amount off center to the CB but still strike the CB center.
This is the correct answer. Its amazing how many people believe the more spin from a smaller tip or softer/harder tip BS myth but then they change their equipment and their game stays exactly the same....then they change their equipment again and have the same results but they still insist this stuff is true.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Interesting discussion. My preference is toward a 12.75 to 13 mm sized tip
on a shaft that has a more or less a Pro taper. Pretty much what I've played
with for the past 61 years and I've never truly been displeased with what I've
noticed. Just my 0.02 cents worth.

hank

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like most people have preferences for a shaft size as evidenced by the various posts.
But what’s just as important and, IMO even more so, is the taper and length. The taper affects
the way the shaft performs and feels. It also accentuates the shaft size difference. When a pro
taper is used, the shaft size remains pretty consistent for the initial 5-7 inches and the gradual
increase in diameter extends itself for another 6-7 inches. Personally, most of my cues use a
little longer pro taper length which I specified and all of my cues have at least one 13mm shaft.
I prefer a 12.75mm with a 15” pro taper, ivory ferrules and Kamui Black Clear soft tips. It’s the
overall best combination for me & changing to a 13mm shaft with the same taper is pretty easy.
Whereas everyone is talking about the shaft diameter, IMO, the taper is equivalently as important.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like most people have preferences for a shaft size as evidenced by the various posts.
But what’s just as important and, IMO even more so, is the taper and length. The taper affects
the way the shaft performs and feels. It also accentuates the shaft size difference. When a pro
taper is used, the shaft size remains pretty consistent for the initial 5-7 inches and the gradual
increase in diameter extends itself for another 6-7 inches. Personally, most of my cues use a
little longer pro taper length which I specified and all of my cues have at least one 13mm shaft.
I prefer a 12.75mm with a 15” pro taper, ivory ferrules and Kamui Black Clear soft tips. It’s the
overall best combination for me & changing to a 13mm shaft with the same taper is pretty easy.
Whereas everyone is talking about the shaft diameter, IMO, the taper is equivalently as important.
This is so true, with out getting the taper right. A cue just won't feel right. I agree a longer taper is better. I played with 13,12.75 and 12.5 I can't say I notice, the tip /ferrule diameter. I only ever found a few cue shafts with the right taper for me. Most are too thick for my liking. Which has do with the first 8 to 12 inches.
But the smaller diameter, seems to be the popular choice with shafts now.

Last edited:

RailKing85

This is so true, with out getting the taper right. A cue just won't feel right. I agree a longer taper is better. I played with 13,12.75 and 12.5 I can't say I notice, the tip /ferrule diameter. I only ever found a few cue shafts with the right taper for me. Most are too thick for my liking. Which has do with the first 8 to 12 inches.
But the smaller diameter, seems to be the popular choice with shafts now.
what do you think about the taper on the cyenrgy. Im still trying to get used to playing with it and the 12.5 tip. Been a beast with 12.75-13 my whole life and im not as confident with it so far.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what do you think about the taper on the cyenrgy. Im still trying to get used to playing with it and the 12.5 tip. Been a beast with 12.75-13 my whole life and im not as confident with it so far.
I suspect that the taper has less to do with tactile feel like with wood shafts when carbon fiber is the material.
Structurally it has greater strength superiority to a wood shaft I’d imagine and the taper is more about appearance
in your sight picture versus feel. An open bridge is entirely different than a closed bridge and how tight is your finger
curl on your closed bridge? The smaller the shaft size, the smaller your curl should become otherwise it’s basically
an open bridge with a finger roof on top. I’m not implying you should squeeze the shaft in a closed bridge but you
don’t want it loose and floppy either. Just encircle the shaft so you feel it glide on you top & bottom finger pads.
Carbon fiber is very different than wood so I associate the size and taper more with what feels best vs. performance.

RailKing85

I suspect that the taper has less to do with tactile feel like with wood shafts when carbon fiber is the material.
Structurally it has greater strength superiority to a wood shaft I’d imagine and the taper is more about appearance
in your sight picture versus feel. An open bridge is entirely different than a closed bridge and how tight is your finger
curl on your closed bridge? The smaller the shaft size, the smaller your curl should become otherwise it’s basically
an open bridge with a finger roof on top. I’m not implying you should squeeze the shaft in a closed bridge but you
don’t want it loose and floppy either. Just encircle the shaft so you feel it glide on you top & bottom finger pads.
Carbon fiber is very different than wood so I associate the size and taper more with what feels best vs. performance.
I've always played open bridge 98% of my shots. unless its something real close and I'm trying to impart greater spin to play position across the table. The 12.75-13 I recently played awesome with was a fiberglass cue/shaft. The thing had so much energy on the cue ball. effortless. You had to ease up on short shots. I never figured out what brand it was or what tip was on it. The collar ended up coming off and I threw it out like an idiot (6 years ago). Any help is appreciated man. Thanks.