shane beats chang in tar match

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lets look back at shanes tar matches and see how many he lost and how he played in the 100 game winner matches. quite frankly i think he beats chang easily and should never play sets of under 100 games. he really never got comfortable with his new shaft and should go back to wood. carbon fiber shafts and cues were out in the eighties and didn't last long and this fad will end again. wood has so much feel and can shoot just as straight. only possible advantage could be wear. yes I've tried them and i like wood. shane should always play 100 game races cause he has so much game.:thumbup:

Worst most uneducated post of the year and it’s only may.. congratulations

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arguing for who’s better isn’t the way to go. These guys are both great. Chang’s break that first day was near flawless. When guys this good break like that, just can’t win. It’s to be said that Shane came close to fading a 17-2 spot, wow. The winner of the 4-5 best guys always comes down the break, if Shane’s break was on early, who knows. I like Chang, his beast mode is there with Shane and anyone else in the world.

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was an exhibition. Let Chang put up 20,000 in a race to 100. Then you will see Shane fired up. It looked like he wasn’t even paying attention the first day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
All the tar matches were races to 100 until Shane had to agree to play others on THEIR terms, because they couldn't hang with Shane in a race to 100.

Not quite true. Alex and Shane had a TAR match before the race to a hundred, It was a raise to 23 or some odd number. The action report loved the race to 100 format, but they were doing other formats as well. I commentated some of the early matches.

Freddie

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was an exhibition. Let Chang put up 20,000 in a race to 100. Then you will see Shane fired up. It looked like he wasn’t even paying attention the first day.

I don't think the exhibition factor can be denied.

If Shane's gonna take a loss, was that scenario not the optimal one to take it?

Not to imply he would ever lose on purpose, but a small decrease of mental investment at that level is a huge difference .

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member

This was my analysis of it, and I posted that very thing multiple times in the chat.
Shane either didn't give 2 ducks about it, or he had something else on his mind.
He could have cared less about that match. Several times, he barely even looked at the shot, then proceeded to 2 stroke it, and let her fly.
Did he want to win, of course. Was he willing to expend all the mental effort & concentration needed, for a exhibition, HELL NO.
If somebody wants to play for 20k that's 1 thing, someone wanting to play for peanuts in an exhibition, where's the motivation.
He did pretty much the same thing against Earl a couple months ago. I don't think Shane gives 2 shits about an exhibition.
Like putting a Formula 1 driver in a go kart, and expecting him to give it his all, for a $50 Walmart giftcard.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The replies crack me up. If Shane wins, that confirms he is the best player. If he loses, the race was too short or he wasn't trying. He is the best player no matter what the results are based on what some people say.

Chang played like god before the first break. He was up 21-4 and only made a mistake or two. Shane played much better the second day and closed the gap. Shane needs his break to work to be able to beat players who play better than him after the break. Heck he had 16 break and runs on day 2 and it still wasn't enough.

Chang beat Dennis 9-7 in Houston.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Not quite true. Alex and Shane had a TAR match before the race to a hundred, It was a raise to 23 or some odd number. The action report loved the race to 100 format, but they were doing other formats as well. I commentated some of the early matches.

Freddie

Cory, Earl, Donny, Dennis, Alex, Darren and others all lost in a race to 100 against Shane. Shane's only loss to 100 was his first match against Alex. After that, no one wanted to play a race to 100 anymore, so Shane started playing against them on their terms.

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far I I know Shane’s offer to anyone to play to 100 for whatever they want still stands.

Tell Chang to come get his some.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
An interesting question to me is how many games on the wire Shane needs from the Shane of five years ago in a race to 50. I'd put it at six or seven.

According to his AZB player profile, SVB has yet to win a title in 2019.

Who Shane beat and by how many years ago is not relevant to sizing up his play today. Chang has beaten up on him of late, and nobody should be too surprised. To Shane's credit, he has discontinued trying to line up high stakes action with Chang. He knows better.

Attachments

• svb.jpg
    svb.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
One thing I find strange about these sort of posts/threads seems to be that many insist that Shane is clearly better than X or Y, in this case, Chang.

Nobody is arguing that Shane isn't awesome. He is one of the world's best and he's definitely a HOF candidate.

But many fervent Shane defenders don't seem to give, in this case, Chang, credit for his game. Or at least that's how the posts seem to come across to me.

Maybe they've not seen enough of Chang's matches? It's the only logical explanation why they don't see Chang as at least Shane's equal.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what are you basing that on? do you know them?

i am not an america hater; but it is likely they are correctly stating a fact.

This may be true, but sometimes it seems as if the universe has to balance the Shane worship with those who enthusiastically worship the latest big thing from overseas.

Heck, a few years ago, the Pinoys were the undisputed kings of pool, and some on here seemed giddy about how no one in the world could match up.

then the Euros made a run and some on here seemed giddy about how much more advanced they were than the Americans.

Now the Chinese are the greatest pool players since Mosconi. And even the chinese women could give the Americans the wild 7.

All the while, Shane fans still proclaim him the King.

It really parallels what you see in sportscasting today. Every time a basketball player has a good season, they are telling us he is the next Jordan. Every big game is the "game of the century", every great play is "the best play in history", and every time the Patriots or Alabama lose a football game, the "Dynasty is over".

It's just a very obvious overuse of hyperbole. We are all guilty of it at some time or another.:thumbup: That's my take on it, YMMV.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This may be true, but sometimes it seems as if the universe has to balance the Shane worship with those who enthusiastically worship the latest big thing from overseas.

Heck, a few years ago, the Pinoys were the undisputed kings of pool, and some on here seemed giddy about how no one in the world could match up.

then the Euros made a run and some on here seemed giddy about how much more advanced they were than the Americans.

Now the Chinese are the greatest pool players since Mosconi. And even the chinese women could give the Americans the wild 7.

All the while, Shane fans still proclaim him the King.

It really parallels what you see in sportscasting today. Every time a basketball player has a good season, they are telling us he is the next Jordan. Every big game is the "game of the century", every great play is "the best play in history", and every time the Patriots or Alabama lose a football game, the "Dynasty is over".

It's just a very obvious overuse of hyperbole. We are all guilty of it at some time or another.:thumbup: That's my take on it, YMMV.

JL Chang has owned Shane for a few years now in their gambling matches. He's not a flavor of the month when it comes to their rivalry. In fact, even the one time SVB got the better of him, which was in the 2016 US Open final, Chang had crushed him 11-3 earlier in the same event. Amusingly, it was the only time in the history of this forum that nobody complained that it wasn't true double elimination. The facts rarely matter in these AZB parts when Shane wins. When he loses, however, the excuses are abundant.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An interesting question to me is how many games on the wire Shane needs from the Shane of five years ago in a race to 50. I'd put it at six or seven.

According to his AZB player profile, SVB has yet to win a title in 2019.

Who Shane beat and by how many years ago is not relevant to sizing up his play today. Chang has beaten up on him of late, and nobody should be too surprised. To Shane's credit, he has discontinued trying to line up high stakes action with Chang. He knows better.

sjm’s post is the wrap. This thread can be closed and we can all move on.
Those who keeps making excuses just make Shane sound like sore loser. Shane being the classy gentleman that he is will not appreciate such excuses on his behalf. It is what it is. Champions win some and lose some.

Let it go, folks . Peace . :)

0.jpg

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JL Chang has owned Shane for a few years now in their gambling matches. He's not a flavor of the month when it comes to their rivalry. In fact, even the one time SVB got the better of him, which was in the 2016 US Open final, Chang had crushed him 11-3 earlier in the same event. Amusingly, it was the only time in the history of this forum that nobody complained that it wasn't true double elimination. The facts rarely matter in these AZB parts when Shane wins. When he loses, however, the excuses are abundant.

I agree, and I wasn't trying to single your post out, if that's how it came across. I was more so making a commentary on how the Shane worship is balanced out by the (just as over the top) worship of the latest player to string together some wins.:)

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
With all of these types of threads, one thing is apparent. We have no Michael Jordan of pool. Where one player is the undisputed king and does literally everything much better than everyone else.

I'm personally hoping to see the Jordan of Pool arrive on the scene in my lifetime.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
With all of these types of threads, one thing is apparent. We have no Michael Jordan of pool. Where one player is the undisputed king and does literally everything much better than everyone else.

I'm personally hoping to see the Jordan of Pool arrive on the scene in my lifetime.

Right on. The top few can all beat each other on any given day in a short or long match. It's why we watch.

I doubt anyone will dominate anytime soon. When Mosconi was stringing together World titles, the format was that the World Champion had a bye into the final and all other hopefuls competed against each other for a shot at him. Incredibly enough, Kevin Trudeau tried this in an IPT event, giving Mike Sigel a bye into the finals, but for the most part, this type of format is gone with the wind. If it comes back, maybe someone can be World Champion for several years in a row.

There has never been a greater abundance of top players than what we see now in our sport. As I see it, nobody can or will dominate the sport long-term. Yes, Varner once owned the sport for a year and so did Immonen, but sustained domination of pro pool over a long period is near impossible given the quality of today's talent pool.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Chinese and Taiwanese have always been monsters. Americans emphasize tournaments which are based on American soil. Now that they are all coming over here the fields are much tougher.

Wu won two world championships at the age of 16. He has had the highest Fargo rating several different times. After the US Open, he bumped up to 827.

Chang has won multiple major tournaments over the years.

These men didn't just start playing pool. They have been contenders on the world stage over and over again for a long time.

Filler, Kaci and Gorst are still basically juniors. Who knows how good they will be respectively but I don't think they are going anywhere for a long time unless they just decide to quit playing pool.
Shane has his hands full these days.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member

He just retired, and he was considered the undisputed king for a very long time, by just about everyone, everywhere.
Hell, Alex used to bow to him when they ran into each other.
He was called the King of Derby.
He was King of the hill.
He was Efren.
It will be a very special person indeed, who captures the hearts of the world the way he did, and plays at a higher level. We're pool as main stream as basketball, he would be the Michael Jordon.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
He just retired, and he was considered the undisputed king for a very long time, by just about everyone, everywhere.
Hell, Alex used to bow to him when they ran into each other.
He was called the King of Derby.
He was King of the hill.
He was Efren.
It will be a very special person indeed, who captures the hearts of the world the way he did, and plays at a higher level. We're pool as main stream as basketball, he would be the Michael Jordon.
Efren is actually one of my all-time favorite players. He could do things on the table that very few, if anyone else could do at the time. I just didn't see him completely dominate every other player in all aspects of the game as a whole.

Case in point, virtually everyone knows that Efren has a weak break. A Michael Jordan of pool would have a SVB break, with Efren cue ball control and creativity, Shaw or Filler shot-making, Corey's creativity and a mind to figure out the break, etc.

Last edited: