Shane is not better than Earl

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
all I can say is WOW! you cant playa lick if you think earl is better.
I was in the TAR Studio for their most recent match and I would agree that earl was the better shot maker in that match, He came with some unbelievable shots in that match. Unfortunately, he also missed some easy shots.

Shane controlled the cue ball better on the break and is a much better game manager.

If Earl could have just kept it together mentally, he had every chance to win that match. He obviously has some serious issues. It's sad because he is a phoenomenal 9 ball player. He could also probably do some damage in 10 ball if he had a decent/consistant break. He still has as much pure fire power as anyone. I'd hate to play in a ring game with him in it.

In fact, I would love to watch a TAR ring game with him in. (Hint hint.)

Last edited:

jaybanthony

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Earl would have similar winnings if he played in the same tournaments as SVB? Easy for you to say...hard for you to prove.

I'll bail on this discussion here....sounds like you will argue your point regardless of the facts that people put in front of you.

-Patrick

You're missing the point, I'm not trying to sway your opinion or anyone else's. I'm simply giving mine. That's all.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My opinion is that the Earl of today is not nearly the player as the Shane of today. We are not comparing Earl of 15 or 20 years ago with Shane, or are we? The results don't lie, Shane is by far the most successful (and better!) player of the two right now.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference in my mind isn't so much a difference in quality of play or ability on the table. Both SVB and Earl are MONSTERS!!!

The difference is in the ability to control one's emotions and demons.

SVB has it, Earl definatley does not.

Earl came with some absolutely amazing shots and run outs, so skill wize he is there. Just too many demons.

SVB had to fade Earls antics and still came with it to win, that is amazing in my book!!!

Russ......

ScottyDzntKnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about the fact that all of the tar matches shane has won besides the alex match have been on all the other guys terms. He beat mika on his home table...Donny mills home table and favorite game... earl with all his rules...Shane doesn't ask for anything he just gets up there and pounds you. If that don't make him the better player I don't know what would.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I think if someone convinced Earl to let them help him get medicated (or whatever the solution is), Earl could be one of THE guys to beat. His emotions DESTROY his game. When he's "OK with the world," Earl's game is THE MOST beautiful to watch. His explosiveness is unparalleled.

Pride is a hard thing to face. If he would focus on finding the right meds that could level his anger; YET... not affect the physical aspects of his game, you'd see a new person. I'm not sure if there IS such a thing, medication-wise (prescribed meds). From what I hear, the meds he needs would not only take away his anger, it would take away the "drive and killer instinct" needed to compete as well. Very sad.

Dave

Spidey... When they get the meds right they call it a silver bullet.... The problem is that it's a razor thin line in getting them right. The uptake is 2 weeks and the body is constantly adjusting so even if you think you have found it it may not work in another 2 weeks then you have to change the meds and it takes 2 weeks for the old ones to stop interacting and for the new ones to take effect... It's like trying to bake a cake but not knowing where to even start you just start throwing ingredients in and hope by trial and error that you will eventually get there....

In some instances finding the right cocktail can take many years... And involve hundreds of changes to the meds to get it right.. In 2 years I had over $160k in medical/doctor/medication costs for my ex-wife trying to find the silver bullet.. Usually if they don't get it in the first few tries you end up as a drooling idiot because they will start to over medicate anticipating that your body will begin to adjust....

People don't realize that mental health is only one half of a step away from where we were 100 years ago when they were using shock treatments... Most people with issues don't tend to have or keep insurance for very long... The insurance companies know that treatment is a black hole for money and will do everything and anything they can to deny your coverage or drop you... I know this because blue cross/blue shield bankrupted me... They never payed the first dime even tho we had health coverage...

I am sure that Earl doesn't have health insurance since there is no pro pool players group.. I have also been told that he tried the meds and they ended up over medicating him to the point where he was just a hollow shell....

Give me an Earl playing in high gear and acting out from time to time over an Earl who has the fire and light driven from his eyes by anti-psychotics any day.... I'd love to imagine him in total control on the table and emotionally but I just don't think that modern medicine can do that for him...

Most of the homeless around the country are mentally ill... They are closing state hospitals at an alarming rate and turning the patients out into the streets because they realize they just cannot treat them they have to institutionalize them..Too much money so out they go..

I am at least glad that the demons that Earl fights daily at least allow him the ability to function somewhat close to normal...

I think this "close to normal" is likely one of the reasons many people ignorant of the facts of mental illness think he is just an asshole and don't cut him any slack... Even many in the industry are not aware of the truth of these situations and do things like deciding that he shouldn't be shown on the TV table or invited back to TAR or that he should be argued with instead of backed up when the fans get on him........

"He seems to get sicker, the more he gets down" or however it was said was a dumbass comment but in all likely hood correct.... just not the way intended... Like it was a controlled thing...

The body produces chemicals under stress which are mood altering when someone already imbalanced gets washed in these stress hormones the ability to maintain control begins to slip from the grasp........

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
let them play 20 ahead for the cash Earl has no chance . If they play all games 8ball 9ball 10ball one pocket Shane wins hands down. Shane minus 14-1 isthe best young player in 30yrs. HE is got more character than any player in along time . NO DRUGS No booze NO CRYING.just saying .:cool:

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion is that the Earl of today is not nearly the player as the Shane of today. We are not comparing Earl of 15 or 20 years ago with Shane, or are we? The results don't lie, Shane is by far the most successful (and better!) player of the two right now.

'Nuff said...

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say,Earl cant do anything that Shane cant do,Shane cant do anything that Earl cant do(on the pool table)i believe Earls crazyness holds him back from being eqaul to Shane,but also at this time,i think Shane is a little bit ahead of Earl,skill wise,but not enough were Earl doesnt have a chance of beating Shane,so i think that Earl could still win against Shane,but Earl has a little bit the worst of it!AS DOES EVERYBODY ELSE~!

champ2107

Banned
earl doesn't play winning pool...earl tries to paint a masterpiece on the table. He looks good,his shots are beautiful,his spinning of the cue ball is unmatched...That type of game just doesn't win and he goes on tilt thinking inferior players keep beating him...an opinion i just came up with and tossed it out there?

pablocruz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl set the bar that everyone is measured from!! He spins the ball better than no other!! His set up on the ball is second to none!! Yes he has demons
in his closet, but don't we all?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think everybody agrees that talent wise, Earl is one of the best ever and he still has that talent. However, as everybody has said in this thread, he can't maintain his focus well enough any more. The last TAR match showed that. He basically just quit for whatever reason

fcee06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im sure someone has said it already but!

Just my opinion based on all the times i've watched them play. Earl plays better position, better cueball control, better safes and kicks better....as for shot making, I'd probably put them even at this point.......again, just my opinion. Feel different? let me know why.
People judge who is the best by who walks away with the cash at the end of the day. The mental aspect is a huge aspect to any competition. Its just as important as ones ability, maybe even more. Thats one of the reasons the pinos are so hard to beat. Beside their skill, its their mindset. They very seldomly let their opponent see them sweat. I have seen busty, effren and others down 9-1 going to 11 and beat the guy a 11-9. No one can ever debate the greatness of earl as a player. What scares him and his great talent is he just seems to be a flat out mean man. That will always be attached to his accomplishments on the pool table sadly. And for the record, Earl is not better than Shane. A few years ago I would agree with you, but not now. The scary thing about shane is he is just learning how to kick, just imagine what it will be like for everyone when he does learn to kick better. He will be even harder to beat. Just my humble opinion.

Frank C

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
he can't maintain his focus well enough any more. The last TAR match showed that. He basically just quit for whatever reason

The reason that Shane is better is because Earl's unique ability to turn negative energy into high level focus has deteriorated.

When Earl was in his prime, his bickering with the fans was usually followed by a brilliant display of excellence. Now these incidents are followed by failed runouts, usually caused by blowing easy shots.

For whatever reason, the things that used to pump him up now cause him to fall apart. And, as Earl is declining, Shane is still improving. I doubt that Earl will ever beat Shane again in anything.

Last edited:

JonTravisTaylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
right on the money Jay!!! I would also add that I believe the long term results of Shane will exceed that of Earl's...I also believe that the depth of the fields and or skill that Shane will face is more fierce than what Earl faced during his rise to notoriety.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Earl has more natural talent then SVB, it is not even close in that aspect. He is the better overall player "when" he can keep his head in check. Earl's top speed is higher then SVB's top speed, Earl's top speed is higher then anyone out there in fact.

BUT, and this is a huge but. Earl has absolutely no mental toughness, very little ability to grind, he is unable to draw deep and pull himself back into a match.

Truth is I don't think SVB himself has a huge mental game or amazing grinding ability, but compared to Earl SVB is a rock. Compared to Alex though? SVB gives up some in the mental toughness and grinding aspects of the game, the "heart" portion of the game when compared to Alex. It is why Alex is so able to compete with SVB despite a serious disadvantage in the break. SVB pretty much said the same thing on the commentary on the Raj/Oscar match, he learned alot from playing Alex in how he approached the game and commented on times he himself has had problems with negative feelings hurting his performance at times.

Mental toughness? The ability to keep your focus and your cool under tough circumstances? This is how I would mark things for alot of the top pros. This is NOT a ranking of skill, it is a ranking of how mentally tough the player is, I think alot of the people lower on the list have ALOT more skill and natural talent then some of the people who are higher up.

Ralph: A+
Wu: A+
Efren: A
Orcullo: A
Bustamante: A
Thorsten: A
Alex A-
Yang A-
Mika: B+
Appleton: B+
Archer: B+
SVB: B
Deuel: B
Dechaine: C
Morris: C
Hatch: C
Putnam: D
Earl: F

Guys like Ralph, Wu, Dennis, Efren, Busta, Thorsten, those guys are rocks under the pressure, they are able to perform when the pressure is on and when things go bad they do NOT let their emotions get the better of them and give themselves the best chance of anyone to get back into a match because of it. Mika, Appleton, Archer, SVB, those guys are all super skilled and they have some strong mental game at times, but they have been known to occasionally lose their composure and it has at times really dropped their game down at crucial moments when they needed it most. Morris, Hatch, these guys have alot of skill, but their mental games are erratic and it costs them. Sometimes they shoot like world champs, other times they cannot get out. Their inconsistent ability to play their top game due to emotions has cost both of these guys alot of success. Earl? He has so much freaking skill that he sometimes actually wins despite his complete lack of mental game. If you took Earl's skills and natural talent and put them into a head as cool as Ralph you would have a pool playing monster that would never lose a tournament.

jaybanthony

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl has more natural talent then SVB, it is not even close in that aspect. He is the better overall player "when" he can keep his head in check. Earl's top speed is higher then SVB's top speed, Earl's top speed is higher then anyone out there in fact.

BUT, and this is a huge but. Earl has absolutely no mental toughness, very little ability to grind, he is unable to draw deep and pull himself back into a match.

Truth is I don't think SVB himself has a huge mental game or amazing grinding ability, but compared to Earl SVB is a rock. Compared to Alex though? SVB gives up some in the mental toughness and grinding aspects of the game, the "heart" portion of the game when compared to Alex. It is why Alex is so able to compete with SVB despite a serious disadvantage in the break. SVB pretty much said the same thing on the commentary on the Raj/Oscar match, he learned alot from playing Alex in how he approached the game and commented on times he himself has had problems with negative feelings hurting his performance at times.

Mental toughness? The ability to keep your focus and your cool under tough circumstances? This is how I would mark things for alot of the top pros. This is NOT a ranking of skill, it is a ranking of how mentally tough the player is, I think alot of the people lower on the list have ALOT more skill and natural talent then some of the people who are higher up.

Ralph: A+
Wu: A+
Efren: A
Orcullo: A
Bustamante: A
Thorsten: A
Alex A-
Yang A-
Mika: B+
Appleton: B+
Archer: B+
SVB: B
Deuel: B
Dechaine: C
Morris: C
Hatch: C
Putnam: D
Earl: F

Guys like Ralph, Wu, Dennis, Efren, Busta, Thorsten, those guys are rocks under the pressure, they are able to perform when the pressure is on and when things go bad they do NOT let their emotions get the better of them and give themselves the best chance of anyone to get back into a match because of it. Mika, Appleton, Archer, SVB, those guys are all super skilled and they have some strong mental game at times, but they have been known to occasionally lose their composure and it has at times really dropped their game down at crucial moments when they needed it most. Morris, Hatch, these guys have alot of skill, but their mental games are erratic and it costs them. Sometimes they shoot like world champs, other times they cannot get out. Their inconsistent ability to play their top game due to emotions has cost both of these guys alot of success. Earl? He has so much freaking skill that he sometimes actually wins despite his complete lack of mental game. If you took Earl's skills and natural talent and put them into a head as cool as Ralph you would have a pool playing monster that would never lose a tournament.

Well put but I have to disagree with Mika being a B in mental toughness......Mika is as mentally tough as anyone...Period!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl set the bar that everyone is measured from!! He spins the ball better than no other!! His set up on the ball is second to none!! Yes he has demons
in his closet, but don't we all?

Ha Ha! His demons aren't in the closet, they're in the living room! :yes: