Shane Van Boening aiming system -WOW!!

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Using basic fractional references (full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4) in conjunction with the edges of your shaft/ferrule, or even quarter increments of your shaft/ferrule, is a great aiming method.

Reactions: bbb

Zerksies

Using basic fractional references (full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4) in conjunction with the edges of your shaft/ferrule, or even quarter increments of your shaft/ferrule, is a great aiming method.
I kind of use part of this method. I makes using side spin easier. The only issue i see with this method is aiming with shots smaller then a 1/4 ball. I kind have to figure out how to ghost ball it figuring out the edges of the ball.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I use SVB type aiming. He is not bullshitting anybody. If people can´t understand how it works it does not mean it can´t be true. Why would SVB lie?
Anyways I made video just to show lil bit how SVB aiming works. I did not plan it or take it again so it is a lot of mumbling ...
You don't.
Svb's is different.
Assuming he aims as he described in the DVD.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I disagree.
Using basic fractional references, you should aim your body and center of the tip and cue ball.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I disagree.
Using basic fractional references, you should aim your body and center of the tip and cue ball.

That's true, in order to create those specific shot angles. But when a shot is little thicker or thinner than a basic reference, it's not difficult to align everything half a tip or a quarter tip left or right.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't.
Svb's is different.
Assuming he aims as he described in the DVD.
I use different parts of my shaft to aim. That what SVB say he uses. Dunno about rest of his system but for me that´s close enough. I don´t know specifics of his aiming but i figured out my way and it happens to be same or similar what SVB uses.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don´t have much of records from my aiming drills but i found one where I drill various half ball positions and then 35-38 degree cuts and then 40-42 degree cuts. This one was just with follow because i played just carom few months and got into habit always put sidespin.. I needed little recalling how to aim without sidespin.. I was rusty on these but still made ok work.. i think.
35-38 degree cuts I aim without sidespin with my edge of cue to edge of object ball. I don´t always put exactly same angle on purpose too. So i kinda have to be aware minor details when cut is slightly more or less than that. Those cuts start around 19:30. After that i drill 40-42 degree cuts where i aim edge of my shaft few millimeters to air from edge of object ball.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I don´t have much of records from my aiming drills but i found one where I drill various half ball positions and then 35-38 degree cuts and then 40-42 degree cuts. This one was just with follow because i played just carom few months and got into habit always put sidespin.. I needed little recalling how to aim without sidespin.. I was rusty on these but still made ok work.. i think.
35-38 degree cuts I aim without sidespin with my edge of cue to edge of object ball. I don´t always put exactly same angle on purpose too. So i kinda have to be aware minor details when cut is slightly more or less than that. Those cuts start around 19:30. After that i drill 40-42 degree cuts where i aim edge of my shaft few millimeters to air from edge of object ball.
I doubt if Shane can tell what 45 or 42 or 39 degree hits are consistently.
But, I bet he can visualize the hit to pocket the ball and send the cue ball where he wants .

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt if Shane can tell what 45 or 42 or 39 degree hits are consistently.
But, I bet he can visualize the hit to pocket the ball and send the cue ball where he wants .
I have made a lot of research to this matter. Not only to myself but to teaching purposes. There is a lot of cueball control stuff hidden in many of my aiming drills.
Example : those half ball cuts to corner around 11:30 mark will bring cueball straight back from rail very accurate. It is great reference to know. It is then easier to then estimate english needed for position. Those side pocket shots after those corner shots are exactly same...

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
I have made a lot of research to this matter. Not only to myself but to teaching purposes. There is a lot of cueball control stuff hidden in many of my aiming drills.
Example : those half ball cuts to corner around 11:30 mark will bring cueball straight back from rail very accurate. It is great reference to know. It is then easier to then estimate english needed for position. Those side pocket shots after those corner shots are exactly same...
Sure.
But, in the end , one must visualize and KNOW the cue ball and object ball collision.
Knowledge and mastery of the tangent line is also a must.

tobermory2

Registered
It's a really simple system once you understand the concept of it. It's just getting the concept
Which is the simple system you refer to? Can you explain the concept in 100 words or less? Or would you need to be on a table to explain it clearly? Is there a short video that explains it clearly? Thanks.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"creating the angles between the balls"

What's funny is I traveled hundreds of thousands of miles on the road and not once did "aiming systems" come up. We had descriptions of different players, how they played, how much they would bet, what their favorite game is.

You would have thought someone would have been known for their "aiming system," like Buddy, Nick, Rempe, Earl, Efren, Sigel, etc.....and when I heard about "ghost ball systems" I just presumed it was just a term to keep from having to explain something that they couldn't explain.

If does make some sense to a beginner, if that's who you are teacher, I just prefer them to be aligning to a constant point on the object ball AND hitting the cue ball in a particular place. I've always thought in terms of creativity ... "creating the angles between the balls"

Thanks for your input and post I find you to be open and honest in your comments. I started when there were no systems discussed and if they existed, no one shared them. Unless you had a mentor you were on your own. I don’t think a lot of younger players realise that. You were on your own with a house cue you kept hidden somewhere in the room. The balls were made of fired clay and there were beads on a wire above a Brunswick-Blake-Collender 8’ table with leather pockets.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your input and post I find you to be open and honest in your comments. I started when there were no systems discussed and if they existed, no one shared them. Unless you had a mentor you were on your own. I don’t think a lot of younger players realise that. You were on your own with a house cue you kept hidden somewhere in the room. The balls were made of fired clay and there were beads on a wire above a Brunswick-Blake-Collender 8’ table with leather pockets.
CJ wrote that 10 years ago, but it seems your sentiments hold true today. Most top players have never heard of some of the "new" alphabet aiming systems.