Shane Van Boening's World Record

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. Digital Pool was doing lots of stats for this match, and they did a good job -- quickly and mostly accurate. The 10-pack in their system for Shane was said to be a glitch in the system, one that they recognized but did not know how to fix. I believe they did make a few mistakes, but who wouldn't in pushing or clicking buttons for 264 games. I probably did, too, without any buttons.
I believe what happen is they counted one of Shane's push after the break, in which Sky gave it back, as a break and run due to Sky not shooting, which could have easily gave Shane 10. Seems just to be a silly error.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fact that it happened on 7ft tables should not be an issue. There is a world record for the longest distance walking on legos for pitty sake.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of records set on smaller tables I'm glad I had my camcorder set up on a tripod to capture this noteworthy first-time-on-a-pool-table performance.

When my super-smart greatgrandson visits us he loves to studiously watch me and one of my pool buddies during one of our Straight Pool marathon sessions in our community rec room. I always sit him up in one of our high spectator chairs. I didn't realize just how much detailed info he had quietly absorbed.

He was thrilled when I gave him the below brand new 1' x 2' miniature table I located on Amazon as a 2019 Christmas present -- couldn't wait to try it out. I racked the whole set of balls and told him to give the balls a good hard slam like he's seen some of the residents do when they played 8-ball.

He broke them open fairly well, but no obvious next shot. He astonished me when he asked: "If I hit the yellow one into the black one will it bounce off and go into the pocket like you and Ed do sometimes?" I told him the white ball has to catch only a little bit of the left side on the yellow one . . . and he knew how to make a thin cut like that!
-- Five years-old, no easy open shot and he spots a carom possibility. A born Straight pool player. He hit it hard, opening the pack more, and ran six easy hangers -- two of them were wired hangers that he spotted (also with no help from me).

1626712911694.png

Arnaldo ~ Annoyingly proud greatgrandpa

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Watched the you tube video of Shane's games won last night. I was very impressed. But then, I'm easily impressed...;)

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't Mike Sigel win something like 31 straight racks or close to that on the Seminole Tour stop at Raxx Billiards in Long Island around 2010?

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
He broke them open fairly well, but no obvious next shot. He astonished me when he asked: "If I hit the yellow one into the black one will it bounce off and go into the pocket like you and Ed do sometimes?" I told him the white ball has to catch only a little bit of the left side on the yellow one . . . and he knew how to make a thin cut like that!
-- Five years-old, no easy open shot and he spots a carom possibility. A born Straight pool player. He hit it hard, opening the pack more, and ran six easy hangers -- two of them were wired hangers that he spotted (also with no help from me).

View attachment 602714
Nice rail bridge too...

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe what happen is they counted one of Shane's push after the break, in which Sky gave it back, as a break and run due to Sky not shooting, which could have easily gave Shane 10. Seems just to be a silly error.
Shane pushed out in 2 of those 26 games. In one of them, several safeties ensued. In the other one Skyler gave it back and Shane ran out. IF they had counted that game improperly as a B&R, it would have made 9 in a row, as it came between a 2-pack and a 6-pack. Interestingly, the commentators actually discussed (but I don't remember exactly when they discussed it) whether such a game should be counted as a B&R and agreed that it should not be. No, they said the 10-pack in their system for Shane was just a system glitch that they couldn't figure out how to remove. But I seem to remember that they thought the real number was 8; not so.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was actually at the IPT Las Vegas event held at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas in 2006 and got to see Ronnie play, which was a treat even though he looked a bit ill at ease.

Here's what I remember, admitting that things like these are getting harder and harder to recount clearly.

Stage 1
The event began with 200 players who were placed in 40 round robin groups of five, so every player played four matches in Stage 1, one against every other player in their group. If they finished in the top 3 of that round robin group, they advanced to Stage 2, with the 80 players failing to advance tying for 121st place, and all getting paid the same $2,000.

Stage 2
The 120 survivors were placed in 20 round robin groups of 6, so every player played five matches, one against every other player in their group, and the top 3 in each group advanced to stage 3, with the 60 failing to advance tying for 61st place, and all getting paid the same $5,000.

Stage 3
The 60 survivors were placed in 12 groups of 5, so every player played four matches, one against every other player in their group. The top 3 in each group advanced to Stage 4, and the 24 who failed to advance tied for 37th place, and all getting paid $10,000.

Ronnie was among the 24 players who failed to advance past Stage 3 at IPT Las Vegas, so, as you note, he'd have played 13 matches, four in Stage 1, five in Stage 2, and four in Stage 3. Here's a link to the IPT Las Vegas results that corroborates his tied for 37th place finish.

Thanks for reminding us how that worked. But I have seen a list that has individual finishing placements for each player despite the money groupings. In other words, each of the 24 players (including O'Sullivan) who were knocked out at the same time, and who all received $10,000, were listed as finishing in places 37, 38, 39, ... 60. Ronnie was listed as 58th. Maybe that was just some crazy way to do the list, as it certainly seems pointless.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks for reminding us how that worked. But I have seen a list that has individual finishing placements for each player despite the money groupings. In other words, each of the 24 players (including O'Sullivan) who were knocked out at the same time, and who all received $10,000, were listed as finishing in places 37, 38, 39, ... 60. Ronnie was listed as 58th. Maybe that was just some crazy way to do the list, as it certainly seems pointless.
My best guess is this:

Within the round robin groups, the standings came down to record, then racks won. Perhaps all those finishing 37/60 were ranked similarly, so if Ronnie was 58th, it surely means that he won no matches in Stage 3 and fewer racks than all but two of the players eliminated in that round. Agree that such ranking was pointless as the money was the same for all within 37-60th place, but it's possible there was a difference in ranking points earned, so who knows? It's just too long ago to remember.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
You're missing the point. I wouldn't beat Shane on 9ft table, why would I beat him on 7ft table and what would that prove? Absolutely nothing. If I listen to some singer sing a song on a radio and I go with "Oh he can't sing that song well" I bet you're the type of guy who will come with a comeback like "Ok then show us you sing it better than him", Do you see where I am going with this? don't be that guy. If I give an opinion of how 7ft isn't helping the game of pool as a whole and that it looks like some kiddo game that doesn't necessarily mean that I am the best 7ft player in the planet, I don't know even where you find this logic.

Pro's shouldn't belittle the game of pool by playing in these barbox. I'm sorry its just not helping our game grow. (Again Get_A_Grip, I hope you got a grip already and don't perceive this as I am saying I can beat shane on barbox, lol).
Pool would probably be dead already if it wasn't for the so called "kiddie tables". I love 9' tables, I have one at home and I love my 9' table, I would like to play every game on a 9'er but that's just not realistic. Even real pool halls have a mix of 9' and 7' tables and there's less 9's every year. They cost too much and take up too much room. Pool is evolving, I doubt 9's will ever be as popular as they once were, we either have to accept that change or be left behind. Logistics has an effect on table size, 9' tables don't fit in a semi nearly as neatly as 7' tables do and how many places have enough 9' tables for a professional tournament without shipping more in??? Maybe its because I'm not at pro level like you guys must be, my run out percentage isn't that much higher on a so called "kiddie table" compared to my 9' table, I guess when I run every rack on a 7 footer I may call them "kiddie tables" too, but I doubt it.

Guy Manges

Registered
There should be No comparison in the two games or tables at all. I belive professional pool should be for professionals and bar pool should be for bar players, Please no comparison..

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the first several racks and was very impressed by some of the runouts Shane accomplished- true, it was a bar table, but some of those runouts could only be completed by a world class pro

Pickinator

I’d like to say that my wife and I are huge Shane fans. We have a nice 7’ bar table in our dining room instead of a table for eating. The light was changed to a pool light. We have both played on a 10’ table; poorly and chose to go smaller.

Neither of us will ever be pros and pool can be frustrating enough without adding the extra 3’. We also figured, why not own and practice on what we always play out on anyway. All of the leagues and tournaments around here in northern Wisconsin are played on bar boxes.

I understand that the “greats” on this forum will look down on us for where we are coming from. We will never hold a candle to your abilities, but you’ve heard the truth.

We would gladly watch SVB on any size table. If I ever got a chance to shoot against him, I would consider myself fortunate to get a shot off, much less sink a ball. 🎱

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’d like to say that my wife and I are huge Shane fans. We have a nice 7’ bar table in our dining room instead of a table for eating. The light was changed to a pool light. We have both played on a 10’ table; poorly and chose to go smaller.

Neither of us will ever be pros and pool can be frustrating enough without adding the extra 3’. We also figured, why not own and practice on what we always play out on anyway. All of the leagues and tournaments around here in northern Wisconsin are played on bar boxes.

I understand that the “greats” on this forum will look down on us for where we are coming from. We will never hold a candle to your abilities, but you’ve heard the truth.

We would gladly watch SVB on any size table. If I ever got a chance to shoot against him, I would consider myself fortunate to get a shot off, much less sink a ball. 🎱
Diamond bar tables are great, and running out on them can be very difficult. Don't let any haters sour your experience.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of records set on smaller tables I'm glad I had my camcorder set up on a tripod to capture this noteworthy first-time-on-a-pool-table performance.

When my super-smart greatgrandson visits us he loves to studiously watch me and one of my pool buddies during one of our Straight Pool marathon sessions in our community rec room. I always sit him up in one of our high spectator chairs. I didn't realize just how much detailed info he had quietly absorbed.

He was thrilled when I gave him the below brand new 1' x 2' miniature table I located on Amazon as a 2019 Christmas present -- couldn't wait to try it out. I racked the whole set of balls and told him to give the balls a good hard slam like he's seen some of the residents do when they played 8-ball.

View attachment 602714
Arnaldo ~ Annoyingly proud greatgrandpa

WWwuuuttt? Awesome!!