Shaw gets 10G's from OB.....................

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB cues gave JS a check for 10grand at DCC yesterday for his big 14.1 run. Well earned imo.
That’s great. The vendors need to support pool and encourage people to take up the sport and encourage amateurs and professionals to stick with it. I’d like to see the sport to reach a stage where players can make a decent living and bring it in the spotlight.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Griffin, one of OB's owners, decided to put up the money to whoever broke the record. No strings, just a major jelly for the feat. And NO, JS does NOT use OB equipment. Will they get some pub out of it? Probably but from what i'm hearing it was just a major tip-of-the-hat to whoever did it.
a major tip-of-the-hat to whoever did it!

I ran 50 something last week can someone tip their hat and send me a hundo?

JayB93

"I just love playing ping pong with my flex-o-lite ping pong paddle"

Gump.jpg

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a geezer I remember hearing and reading for decades how anyone talented enough to break Willie's record would be showered with fortune and fame. Ah, pool, a life sleeping under tables, living in your car or hitting the highlife in a Motel 6.

Meantime top football players are making a million a game.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah... and your point is?

If you had a company with an interest/investment in this, would you wait a week or more to advertise it? I doubt it.

Actually, I would.

I know we live in an age of instant gratification but this just happened a few days ago. There are still i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed and there is plenty of time for the publicity on this to roll out.

Lou Figueroa

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
AFAIK he still does viewings. Contact him via FB.
I live in Korea :(

As of now, you can say all the exact same things between JS and JS.

No video for either.
Table spec controversy on both.
Secrecy on prize money on both.
Unknown marketing plan on both.

Maybe that will change for the second JS. Anyone's guess at this point.

Oh, I’m not engaging in JS v JS. I just want to watch epic 14.1 runs.

EDIT: I was fortunate enough to see the 714 live, but I’d still pay for the 626, and I’ll pay for the 714 when it becomes available (if they’re both reasonably priced).

middleofnowhere

Registered
OB cues gave JS a check for 10grand at DCC yesterday for his big 14.1 run. Well earned imo.
May sound silly but he needs to check on the tax laws. He may owe state income tax in the state where he received the payment. Pro golfers run into this when they win money in states with state income taxes. You could even end up owing taxes in two states, where you live and the state where you earned the money. He does need to look into this if he has not already. I am sure there is a tax expert on here who knows the answers.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
needs a cpa. it could be considered a gift so no tax.
could be taxed where he earned it and can deduct that from his states income tax so not taxed twice.
also might have more writeoff for travel etc than earnings.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
May sound silly but he needs to check on the tax laws. He may owe state income tax in the state where he received the payment. Pro golfers run into this when they win money in states with state income taxes. You could even end up owing taxes in two states, where you live and the state where you earned the money. He does need to look into this if he has not already. I am sure there is a tax expert on here who knows the answers.
He’s a professional that’s won events before in the USA I’m sure he knows the drill.

middleofnowhere

Registered
He’s a professional that’s won events before in the USA I’m sure he knows the drill.
My point was, he was handed a big check in a state with 3.23 state tax. Receiving the money in a different way could make a difference and save him a few bucks, you never know.
My accountant was at the house this morning. He knew i was not about to go in some office building. That's why this came to mind. I don't pay a nickel more then I have to, I'd like to pay nothing if I could.

middleofnowhere

Registered
And he still won’t make his 626 available for sale? 😢
I would like to see both runs side by side. Even though Johns is less, a side be side comparison may be interesting. Essentially score them like an accu-stats. Every aspect of the runs annualized and scored using some method.
John may come out looking pretty good.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im sure that OB can use Shaw in ads saying "OB congratulates Shaw on his 714 run" even though it doesn't specifically say that Shaw uses OB products. Its still good advertising.

they're on my radar again for sure. i liked the ob classic pro, good quality shaft. then i heard they were gonna close shop and haven't heard anything about them since. it seems now they have torrified, torrified curly and cf shafts. i wonder how the torrifieds play in terms of deflection